09-03-2013, 02:39 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I enjoy the whole process immensely. Anything that prolongs or adds to the whole experience I embrace. That's one reason I bowl lather. It's extends the experience. It's an added skill. I consider bowl lathering somewhat more difficult than face lathering. Face lathering is easier, that's why everyone begins with it. The same logic applies to brush size. Bigger brushes get the job done quicker. That's not what I want. I want to draw it out as much as possible. Smaller brush covers less face surface, takes more brushing. Eccentric perhaps, but that's how the most interesting man in the world does shaving. Stay lathered my friends.

6 2,006
 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Works for me.Smile

173 23,558
 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM
User Info
As a friend likes to say, It's your shave, have it your way.

18 569
 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Omg. You've just described my shaving Nirvana too.

0 76
 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I agree with most of what you've said, all but the face lathering part. Most folks start off bowl/mug lathering, many then progress to face lathering.
I find face lathering requires a bit more finesse and know how to reach a perfect lather compared to bowl lathering, the latter of which is easier to eye the progress of your lather and a bit more fool proof...that's just my opinion though. Wink
I primarily face lather but occasionally hit the bowl depending on my mood/product being used.

31 1,510
 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I do take my time too.

1 819
 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Face lathering is very, very difficult for me. My face doesn't like it, it gets red from the attempts.

Bowl lathering works much better and is easy as pie. YMMV Smile

I take my time too.

1 750
 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
(09-03-2013, 03:51 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I agree with most of what you've said, all but the face lathering part. Most folks start off bowl/mug lathering, many then progress to face lathering.
I find face lathering requires a bit more finesse and know how to reach a perfect lather compared to bowl lathering, the latter of which is easier to eye the progress of your lather and a bit more fool proof...that's just my opinion though. Wink

+1 i presume you use the Wee Scot for your shaves, then! Biggrin

75 20,884
 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM
User Info
I think bowl lathering is easier. I always have a hard time getting enough water into my lathers while face lathering. But I agree. I hate being rushed when it comes to shaving.

2 396
 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I savor the entire shaving ritual each day ... particularly the soap lathering part. I'm sometimes despondent after my morning shave is over ... already anticipating 24 hours ahead. Wink

102 17,672
 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Ditto. I stretch it out as long as possible. When I started it took 35 minutes. Unfortunately as my skills increased my time has dwindled. I still basically do the same ritual but I just get it done a bit quicker. Now it takes around 15-20 minutes... I'm thinking my razor passes are more efficient. Oh well. Still wouldn't go back to a 5 minute cart shave for all the tea in China...

5 1,151
 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
This is something I think about often, and with a scale (0-10) I can explain it better:

0 - get it over with, don't care, make it happen as fast as possible. Typically done with a multi-blade cartridge razor or electric razor.

10 - love the experience, look forward to every morning's shave, don't care how long it takes, don't mind ways to extend the experience. Typically a wet shaving method (DE or str8 razor).

For me, shaving during the week is like a 6-7, and during weekends like a 7-8. I like the process, but time is also extremely important to my schedule (and kids school!). So experimenting with new things is always a weekend activity - during the week I use the tried/true since time is more important.

0 89
 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, I found when I was starting out face lathering was easier for me. I mean, it's on your face to begin with, you add water as needed, you can tell immediately when it's right. You have sight and feeling feedback. In a bowl,sometimes you think it's right but you don't know for sure until you're painting it on your face. From the conversations I had with other beginners on the forum I frequented at the time, they all agreed, everyone started out face lathering because it was just easier for us. I mean, look at how many tutorial videos there are on how to bowl lather compared to how to face lather. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts 90% of beginners face lather. All that said, if I want the best shave I can possibly get on a particular morning, I face lather.

6 2,006
 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
User Info
(09-04-2013, 11:18 AM)Mouser Wrote: Well, I found when I was starting out face lathering was easier for me. I mean, it's on your face to begin with, you add water as needed, you can tell immediately when it's right. You have sight and feeling feedback. In a bowl,sometimes you think it's right but you don't know for sure until you're painting it on your face.

+1

Those are the same reasons I started with and still remain with face lathering.

0 89