04-18-2012, 02:28 PM
User Info
Would any of you veteran shavers be willing to make a "What to look for when shopping for Vintage razors" thread. I've been tempted to go looking in antique stores, but realized I don't have any clue what I'd be looking for. The last thing I'd want to do is spend $40 for something that looks like it's fallen down a flight of cement stairs.

0 120
 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Best tip I can give you is don,t panic there are hundreds of razors out there..E-bay is good and no one razor is "the Razor" ..each to their own..sometime with a few shaves you learn to like a particular razor for the shave you get. Now as far as the LOOK ..see what turns you on..if you want a top condition super collectable razor check out any from CEDARFURNATURE Man on E-Bay..once you find one of his make him one of your saved sellers and you will find the best,most perfect razors for bid or sale.He gets new ones in every week or so and is highly recommended as a seller.As far as Antique stores look for bar alignment and working mechanism..If it does not look good,work good or answer your needs forget about it and find something else..Most important tip decide why you are collecting..for the shave or the hunt.Trust me I have almost 200 razors of every type and I enjoy the hunt and use mostly new razors for the shave...First choice Merkur Progress if you like the shave (it is adjustible) stop and save your money except for endless brushes,soaps,bowls and after shaves.

6 1,913
 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM
User Info
Mr.Razor site is an excellent resource.

http://www.mr-razor.com/

1 2,827
 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
User Info
couple things I like to take into account.

where did I find it in the store?(case, with other razors, random place in store)
how common is it?
do the imperfections look fixable?
how has the plating held up?

4 309
 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM
User Info
My only input is to go into this knowing what you expect to get out of the purchases you plan to make with these razors.

* Are you buying for collection\display purposes
* Are you buying for functionality
* Are you looking for both

eBay will give you some rough ideas on what some vintage razors go for, but you can't expect every antique store\thrift store\estate sale\yard sale person to know what the 'going' eBay rate is for a particular item so you may have to decide what you are willing to pay for a particular item.

I've tended to purchase for functionality mostly, so I've scored some pretty good deals on razors that are less than pristine cosmetically, but still function perfectly. My 1920's Gillette open comb has the typical ( for that model ) crack in the handle, but the head is in great shape and it shaves like a champ so I'm satisfied with it.

I made a deal with myself that I would never spend more money on a vintage razor than I would on a modern corresponding DE razor. It's been a good system so far for me.

0 252
 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
User Info
-Dose it look good or good enough if its rough you can replate it
-Is it what you wanted/wanted to try
-regardless of price are you willing to pay for it (within reason)
-remember it will outlast you
-to me money well spent for what I like/wanted to try

2 805
 04-18-2012, 10:16 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 03:05 PM)Harvey Wrote: Best tip I can give you is don,t panic there are hundreds of razors out there..E-bay is good and no one razor is "the Razor" ..each to their own..sometime with a few shaves you learn to like a particular razor for the shave you get. Now as far as the LOOK ..see what turns you on..if you want a top condition super collectable razor check out any from CEDARFURNATURE Man on E-Bay..once you find one of his make him one of your saved sellers and you will find the best,most perfect razors for bid or sale.He gets new ones in every week or so and is highly recommended as a seller.As far as Antique stores look for bar alignment and working mechanism..If it does not look good,work good or answer your needs forget about it and find something else..Most important tip decide why you are collecting..for the shave or the hunt.Trust me I have almost 200 razors of every type and I enjoy the hunt and use mostly new razors for the shave...First choice Merkur Progress if you like the shave (it is adjustible) stop and save your money except for endless brushes,soaps,bowls and after shaves.

+1 Great advice! i would go with the old Gillettes. i find the open-combs are the best shavers and you can not beat their price on some of the old types, but YMMV. Have fun with it.

75 20,883
 04-20-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 10:16 PM)celestino Wrote:
(04-18-2012, 03:05 PM)Harvey Wrote: Best tip I can give you is don,t panic there are hundreds of razors out there..E-bay is good and no one razor is "the Razor" ..each to their own..sometime with a few shaves you learn to like a particular razor for the shave you get. Now as far as the LOOK ..see what turns you on..if you want a top condition super collectable razor check out any from CEDARFURNATURE Man on E-Bay..once you find one of his make him one of your saved sellers and you will find the best,most perfect razors for bid or sale.He gets new ones in every week or so and is highly recommended as a seller.As far as Antique stores look for bar alignment and working mechanism..If it does not look good,work good or answer your needs forget about it and find something else..Most important tip decide why you are collecting..for the shave or the hunt.Trust me I have almost 200 razors of every type and I enjoy the hunt and use mostly new razors for the shave...First choice Merkur Progress if you like the shave (it is adjustible) stop and save your money except for endless brushes,soaps,bowls and after shaves.

+1 Great advice! i would go with the old Gillettes. i find the open-combs are the best shavers and you can not beat their price on some of the old types, but YMMV. Have fun with it.

+1 Agree. I picked up two Gillette New open-combs on the B/S/T that are my favorite DE razors. Just make sure there are no bent or broken teeth. On eBay, I'd not bid on an item in which the pictures are out of focus. Seems like an opportunity to pick up a real disappointment.

0 1,377
 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
All Gillettes are good razors. Get a working superspeed from 1948, get another from after 1960 and you're well on your way to having perfectly acceptable shaves from fine razors. You should be able to get a user grade of each for between 10 and 20 dollars.

0 31