04-18-2012, 05:38 PM
User Info
As the days get longer in the warm days of spring, a young man's thoughts turn to which shave brushes he will buy in the future.

Loving the Semogue boars that I already own (1305, 1800, 1205, 1460), I read all the posts about the SOC, but wonder about it's large cousin the Semogue 2000?

I seem to recall reading a post by Zach on another forum where made the case that he preferred the 2000 over the SOC. Does anyone have experience with both brushes where you could compare and contrast?

I also recall reading about folks having problems with the lacquer finish on the 2000, does anyone know if this has been rectified like it was on the 1305?

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

3 452
 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Robert,

Disclaimer: This is solely my opinion.

I have both the 2000 and SOC brushes. Actually, I have two SOC brushes, cherry and ash.

I personally prefer the SOC over the 2000. The SOC has more backbone if you will and does a great job with both hard soaps and creams. Works great with a scuttle or just plain old face lathering. The SOC IMHO uses a better grade of boar than the 2000 and is packed much denser.

The 2000 is a softer brush, but one would expect that with longer loft.

If you stand the two brushes side by side they are the same height. The difference is that the 2000 has a shorter handle and a longer loft, where the SOC has a longer handle and a shorter loft.

I use my 2000 once in a blue moon to whip up some good cream, but for everyday shaving with whatever you throw at it, the SOC hands down.

I have had no finish problems with either of my SOC brushes.

I also have the 1305, 1438, 1460, 1470, and a LE 2011 Bristle 2. All fantastic brushes.

SOC Ash

SOC Cherry

173 23,492
 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
User Info
Robert,
i had the Semogue 2000 and have never had a problem with it; very nice brush, i found it a bit rougher than the SOC and not as much backbone, but very nice overall. If you are looking for your next Semogue, depending on what size you want, i would, highly, recommend the 830. i think it is for the money and size, the best brush, period; very soft bristles that are almost comparable to high-end badger and will demolish soaps. Great latherer to boot. Just my opinion, though, as YMMV, as they say. i guess you just have to experiment. i do highly recommend the SOC, also. Here are some photos of my 830 after 5 months of use in a rotation of 4 brushes for five months and now in a rotation of 7 brushes.

[attachment=1103][attachment=1104]

75 20,883
 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
I have both and my general preference is towards the 2000 due to the size. It's a large soft brush with enough backbone to be pleasant. The hair in the SOC is definitely nicer, but I still enjoy the 2000. Unfortunately, my 2000 died on me a few weeks ago. It dropped about 20 hairs and then the knot fell out. It was about 10 months old. I did order another one, but have been using the SOC more recently as I don't really feel like breaking in a new brush right now.

18 567
 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
If you are thinking to get one of those two,I will recommend you to get first the 2000.If you like it,then go for a SOC.The SOC its a large brush and patience is required for it to be fully break in and functional.The 2000 is on its full potential after 10/15 uses,the SOC needs more than that.

86 7,123
 04-19-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
Thanks for your responses - food for thought.

Johnny I appreciate your description of handle/knot height differences. After looking at your great photos beyond the brushes, I was heartened to see that it's possible to come so close to finishing a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Celestino - I love my 1305, it was my first Semogue, and am a fan of the traditional wood handles, but I am aware of the greater density knot in the 830. After purchasing my fourth Semogue boar, I've pretty much accepted that I have some kind of Semogue AD going on, so I can easily see the 830 in my future.

PanChange - I read your post about your 2000 giving up the ghost - certainly a tough break. I appreciate the fact that you, along with Teiste are still a fan of the brush.

Of course I'm sure that I'll end up with both the SOC and 2000 over time.

3 452
 04-19-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
Hi Robert, I'm another one that has both. Like Johnny pointed out, they are just 2 different brushes. I love them both. Had I to pick only one..., well, thankfully I don't. Biggrin

2 546
 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I quite like the 2000, although I use the SOC more often.

The 2000 is a fun brush to use, but not for my everyday shaving routine. When I have the time, I put a puck of soap in a bowl and get the 2000. This is where the 2000 shines. Keeping a patient, steady pace, adding some drops of water now and then, I can get a really nice and slick leather enough to shave all the family.

4 313
 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 06:48 PM)PanChango Wrote: I have both and my general preference is towards the 2000 due to the size. It's a large soft brush with enough backbone to be pleasant. The hair in the SOC is definitely nicer, but I still enjoy the 2000. Unfortunately, my 2000 died on me a few weeks ago. It dropped about 20 hairs and then the knot fell out. It was about 10 months old. I did order another one, but have been using the SOC more recently as I don't really feel like breaking in a new brush right now.

I remember you having trouble with your 2000 shedding clumps some time ago, then it seemed to settle down. Man, the knot falling out is a real bummer!

I had a similar problem with a Simpson Duke 3 which was a chronic shedder, then it really did settle down, and I gave it to my son-in-law.

Here's hoping you have better luck with your new 2000 brush.

0 1,377