09-06-2013, 07:40 AM
User Info
Picked it up and here's my impression after first use.
It is slightly softer than Proraso soap. Lather is great, really great.
It offers very good protection and glide and i went for a full third pass because i was having so much fun. The blade was a brand new PTFE in a Gen Jr Lather catcher, which can be harsh on the first shave, none of that with this lather.
When I build up the courage to try straight razors again, this is going to be my choice.
Good skin care, doesn't dry your skin.
The scent is the weakest point. Like old fashioned soap, nothing bad but not great either. I did notice that after opening the tub, the scent ''calmed down'' once it had a chance to air a bit. If they had an unscented version it would be a winner.
I am going to use it for a few more days and update this review.

Here is the mandatory pic:-)
[Image: jxykdWq.jpg]

6 808
 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM
User Info
Thanks for the update and continued success with the soap.
I had never heard of it before.

75 20,883
 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
(09-06-2013, 08:18 AM)celestino Wrote: Thanks for the update and continued success with the soap.
I had never heard of it before.

It's made in Slovakia and is widely available there and in the Czech Republic.
Costs about 60ck which is $3 a tub.
I noticed it also in tubes, one called ''classic'' and one called ''sport'
. The drugstores allocate a lot of space for the canned gel and the Gillette stuff, and one sad shelf, at the bottom for stuff that only old folks and peculiar enthusiastics like ne would look for. There was also Nivea tubes, astra blades and small cheap looking brushes. I think the word cheap is key here. Everything else costs the same like in the States, or even more.

6 808
 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I had not heard of it either.

Like the States ... Foam and Goo, Multi-Blade Razors and Refils, some aftershaves or some aftershave balms are in our stores.

Then, there maybe a spot for the generic DE Blade or even a Shaving Soap (Williams or Van Der Hagen), sometimes there might be a brush or a shaving kit.

1 819
 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM
User Info
Where did you get it?

10 605
 09-14-2013, 07:33 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I tried the Barbus cream in the tube which I found to be fairly good. I never tried the croap.

3 2,562
 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM
User Info
(09-13-2013, 01:30 PM)HoracioAR Wrote: Where did you get it?

Shoeboxshaving, according to google has it.
I'd ask them though because you can't find it by browsing their site.

I moved to Prague recently so I just bought it at the store.

6 808
 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM
User Info
(09-16-2013, 09:24 AM)Galhatz Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 01:30 PM)HoracioAR Wrote: Where did you get it?

Shoeboxshaving, according to google has it.
I'd ask them though because you can't find it by browsing their site.

I moved to Prague recently so I just bought it at the store.

Got it, thanks!

10 605
 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I used Barbus this morning and thought it was a great shave. It's not in the same league as ABCBA, but it reminded of it in many ways. It likes alot of water, but rewards you with a great slick creamy lather.

The scent is comforting in a sawdusty-floral way, the hint of floral is a familiar scent but one that leaves me scratching my head as to why it's comforting...grandma's celler comes to mind...in a good way. I sort of got the same feeling when I first sniffed Arko, though they DO NOT smell anything like each other at all...still the scent left me comforted and I will go back to it again.

I got a great shave from it using my Syntex brush and face lathering. A 30-second swirl gave me enough lather for 3 and 1/2 passes and a liitle beard cleanup...my 7yo son also used the tail end of it for his "shave" this morning...he said it smelled like Grandma, so there is a familiar quality to the scent that I can't place. Perhaps it is the "Old Fashioned" nature of it that is remiscient of our Grandmas, mine and his respectively...

The skin care properties were pretty good with this croap...it left me moist and supple, and I didn't need any balm except a light milk to top me off. It is 6 hours since I shaved and my face still feels hydrated, so there you have it.

Barbus is worth the money, and is a great croap that everyone should try out.

Cheers!

Matt

68 1,417