09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
To say I was super excited when I spotted this out in the back garden this morning, would be a slight understatement...

[Image: AB3vpr5.jpg]

2013-09-06: Monarch butterfly chrysalis attached to Prairie dropseed

[Image: p08gxNY.jpg]

2013-09-06: Monarch butterfly chrysalis attached to Prairie dropseed

Keeping everything crossed as I type this, with any luck we (the family) will get to see a Monarch butterfly appear in our very own back garden, sometime within the next 9 to 14 days.

Again, keeping everything crossed as I type this, I will update this thread with photos as things develop...

23 1,872
 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Amazing. Too bad you can't set up a 24 hour camera.

2 11,211
 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mother Nature at work. Is a wonderful thing to see.

173 23,486
 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(09-06-2013, 12:11 PM)Johnny Wrote: Mother Nature at work. Is a wonderful thing to see.
Signs011
Hope to see next pics ... Tongue

0 1,096
 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
This is indeed wonderful.

1 819
 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
User Info
Very cool, can't wait to see your pictures

0 0
 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Mike!
When I was living in southwestern Ontario, we had an annual migration of Monarchs that come through a small federal park called Point Pelee National Park, just outside our hometown of Leamington. Beautiful to watch those thousands upon thousands of Monarchs! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Fantastic Mike. Great pictures.

100 12,437
 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
User Info
I hope you get to see it. Our local NPR station ran a report about the possible disappearing population of monarch butterflies. They even are encouraging homeowners to plant milkweed to bring them back.

I never realized that they travel from New England to Mexico to breed. That must be some journey.

- Josh -

72 1,407
 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Please repeat back to me, "You're a muppet, a total failure at being a wildlife photographer and have much to learn about nature." Blush

First thing yesterday (Saturday 7th September) morning I didn't bother going out back and checking, BIG! mistake. Instead I done a few chores around the house, then got Beta son up and took him to his swim lesson...

Returned home at 10:30am, looked out the kitchen window into the back garden, "Hmmm! I don't see the Monarch butterfly chrysalis, but is that a Monarch butterfly I see there, hanging upside down from the Prairie dropseed?".

"**** where's the camera?" (yes, I'm talking to myself a LOT! by this stage).

Get the camera and take myself out back, get within 30 feet, "Yep! that's definitely a Monarch butterfly hanging there. "****! ****! I'm an idiot, why didn't I go out first thing and check? Because you're an idiot..."

With camera ready, I'm now within 3 feet of the Monarch butterfly, just one more step to get feet firmly planted, then begin snapping away like a mad man...

Half-way though the final step, the Monarch spreads its wings and takes flight. I felt honoured, privileged (still do) to witness such a beautiful moment, but at the same time, "I'm an idiot, why didn't I go out first thing and check? Because you're an idiot..."

Here are the couple of photos I took (once I'd stopped crying)...

[Image: 9lJdSaC.jpg]

2013-09-07: Empty Monarch butterfly chrysalis attached to Prairie dropseed

[Image: ABwtDei.jpg]

2013-09-07: Empty Monarch butterfly chrysalis attached to Prairie dropseed

During the afternoon I spent a good hour or more (desperately) looking around the garden for another Monarch butterfly chrysalis... Nothing!

Lesson learnt, Mother Nature waits for no man (or woman). If there's a next time, chores can wait, getting outside to experience nature can't...

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 09-08-2013, 04:13 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Snapped out back no more than 20 minutes ago...

[Image: P4BO5lj.jpg]

2013-09-08: Monarch butterfly on Eastern Blazing Star -- Might not be the best photo, but I'm more than happy with it, all things considered...

23 1,872
 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Excellent photos!

I've never seen a chrysalis in person, despite living in the south and being in a very rural area, come to think of it I do not see many butterflies around here either.Huh
I do see tons of those cotton like, black speckled caterpillar nests everywhere each year, but never a butterfly chrysalis. Sad

31 1,510
 09-09-2013, 03:52 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, why are you so hard on yourself? Even the empty chrysalis is Mother Nature at her best. There was no way that beautiful Monarch was going to miss a golden opportunity to have a world famous Mike Perry photo shoot. Winky

2 11,211
 09-09-2013, 06:06 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Great photos in spite of the "miss" Mike!! We are on the migration route here. It is amazing to see literally thousands of Monarch's at a time.

4 2,373
 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-09-2013, 03:52 AM)freddy Wrote: Mike, why are you so hard on yourself? Even the empty chrysalis is Mother Nature at her best. There was no way that beautiful Monarch was going to miss a golden opportunity to have a world famous Mike Perry photo shoot. Winky

Freddy, what can I say, it's part of my OCPD (perfectionism).

Anyway, yesterday I managed to snap another photo...

[Image: ciIAasA.jpg]

2013-09-09: Monarch butterfly on Eastern Blazing Star

23 1,872
 09-13-2013, 03:03 AM
User Info
Spectacular photos, Mike!

Near Siem Riep in Cambodia, there's a fantastic butterfly garden. Depending on the time of year, there are anywhere from 20-40 different species of butterflies and moths at various stages of life. I never thought that I'd be seeking out bugs in the midst of Asia, but it was a fantastic experience. A quiet and peaceful garden, full of beautiful creatures. It's amazing to see the family who own the place cultivate them too.

It's easy to forget the simple beauty of nature amongst the hustle and bustle of city life.

0 123