09-06-2013, 09:36 PM
User Info
I started wet shaving a few years ago and at the time, everyone raved about vintage Gillette, Schick, and Gem razors. Merkur and Edwin Jagger had their share of fans, but the quality has always been suspect.
New razors slowly s=began creeping onto the market and then it seemed like things just exploded! This was especially true with Stainless Steel razors made in the U.S. Ikon, Weber, Tradere, Above the Tie, and Cobra. We even have small companies making unique handles to go with our favorite razors. Now 2 new razors are in the works and should be released soon--HuntLee Razors. We are actually going to get a modern injector and some competition for the Cobra! The choices are becoming almost endless with closed comb, open comb, even a new slant model. There is definitely a razor for everyone and in many cases, 5, 10, or 20 razors for some people.
On top of all of these razor choices, there are new, small vendors producing soap, cream, brushes and more. With all the new options available today, and more being produced all the time, it seems clear that we are definitely entering a new Golden Age of wet shaving!

10 96
 09-07-2013, 12:56 AM
User Info
Let's keep the traditional shaving alive !
In today's world where everything "trivialized" our hobby must survive.

0 353
 09-07-2013, 03:31 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
And what a great hobby it is. My son has taken up the cause.

19 700
 09-07-2013, 03:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
It is indeed a wonderful time for wet shavers. Considering the relatively small numbers we constitute, relative to all shavers, our choices these days are incredible ... kudos to the manufacturers/vendors, many of whom are smaller outfits, for their efforts! Smile

102 17,672
 09-07-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Yes it is a Golden Age and there are lots of new products.

AD is something that we have in common.

The Choices that we have are only limited by the amount of time we have.

There are many products that are good and inexpensive and many products that are exceptional and expensive. Thankfully there are also many products that fall inbetween.

And Kudos to all the manufacturers adn artisans that are out there bringing more wonderful products to market.

20, 30 or even 40 Razors ... not counting the injectors and straights ... A Razor for every week now that is RAD.

Only if I could convince my wife that I need a different soap/cream for every day of the month.

1 819
 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM
User Info
Top of the day!,
Thank you ,Grumpy, you wrote it well.I await the HuntLee injector, I have Schicks, and love 'em An SS Injector, whoa, now you're talkin' And the new slant and new OC's. Yeah for me it's like living through the muscle car era.Handles that are works of art, soaps , creams, croaps, blades, brushes, etc. How wonderful to see them all out here and not just one item lost on a shelf.And yes we are growing.
Enjoy your shaves!!Biggrin

0 205
 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
I wish someone would make an Ever-Ready Streamline clone with an open comb.

0 76
 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
and do not forget the mighty Gillette Guard SE razor sold by West Coast Shaving....possibly coming soon in Titanium with LED lighting and power rotating handle.....saw this in INDIA Shaving.comBiggrin

6 1,913
 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
User Info
This is a very good observation. You have brought up a good thread to discuss on.

0 606
 09-08-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
CNC machining and CAD software mean that experimentation for new designs is mych cheaper and quicker than ever. One can even print 3D plastic prototypes.

Kudos to Richard, Ed, Phil and Lee that took thr plunge and the risk and sought out to transform an inspiration into reality. And produce it in the US!

6 808
 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM
User Info
I prefer the modern razors so to me this truely is a golden age of wet shaving. So many fine artisans in addition to the larger manufacturers for both hardware and software.

22 225
 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
It is a great time to be a man! Biggrin

75 20,884