09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
User Info
Hi Gents,

I'd like your input on this matter. Do soaps or creams make a difference in terms of the closeness of your shave? Or is it simply a matter of the razor and blade, with proper technique?

I used D.R. Harris Arlington on my last shave and it was close and smooth. My shave today was with Proraso Blue, with the same razor and blade (second shave on the blade), and it wasn't as close. I had a full day in between shaves. So is it the soap?

Thanks for your help!

1 56
 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
For me, yes. Software means a lot, you can get a close shave with water and sharp blade, but your face will feel much different Biggrin
Good soap or cream makes the shave for me.

88 4,233
 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Some soaps lather differently and some soaps work better than others but mostly very few people stay with a single combination long enough to really know....contantly changing razors,blades,soap,and brushes never let you 'know' them...best tip try one combination for a whole week or more...then you will easily answer your question.

6 1,913
 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 11:22 AM)beartrap Wrote: For me, yes. Software means a lot, you can get a close shave with water and sharp blade, but your face will feel much different Biggrin
Good soap or cream makes the shave for me.

+1

With a terrible product not lathered well a close shave could be a nightmare.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment... Williams is far from the best product out there, and when I was patient enough to produce an ultralather with it, it performed superbly. Yes, as hard as that is to believe, superbly is the word that I used in the same sentence with "Williams" .

32 6,309
 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 11:24 AM)Harvey Wrote: Some soaps lather differently and some soaps work better than others but mostly very few people stay with a single combination long enough to really know....contantly changing razors,blades,soap,and brushes never let you 'know' them...best tip try one combination for a whole week or more...then you will easily answer your question.

Great advice! Admittedly, I like to change soaps every time I shave. I better get to know my soaps, inside and out, to see how it really matters with the closeness of my shave.

1 56
 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I think prep is equally as important as soaps and creams. Good lubrication is the key to the whole process. Without it no razor or blade made today is going to cut it. No pun intended.

0 76
 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
Yes, software matters. Same hardware combos with different software deliver different shaves and after shave feeling.

3 285
 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM
User Info
I have to concur with the above statements. Some good soap or cream makes a big difference! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-07-2013, 05:39 PM
User Info
Rich, that's a good question to ask. To get at your specific question, I would say the difference is more likely in the quality of the lather as those are two solid soaps. I would take a quality lather from a below average soap over a poor (particularly too dry) lather from a top-shelf soap. Perhaps try sticking with one soap or the other to find your lather sweet spot, where the right mixture of soap, water and air come together for you.

47 1,270
 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have noticed that some soaps or creams do perform better than others.

And there are a few that I would not want to try again.

I DO LOVE MWF.

And I Do Like Williams.

1 819
 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 05:39 PM)kentclark Wrote: Rich, that's a good question to ask. To get at your specific question, I would say the difference is more likely in the quality of the lather as those are two solid soaps. I would take a quality lather from a below average soap over a poor (particularly too dry) lather from a top-shelf soap. Perhaps try sticking with one soap or the other to find your lather sweet spot, where the right mixture of soap, water and air come together for you.

Agreed! Finding the sweet spot for each soap will take some practice, but I can see now it'll be worthwhile!

1 56
 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 12:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: +1

With a terrible product not lathered well a close shave could be a nightmare.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment... Williams is far from the best product out there, and when I was patient enough to produce an ultralather with it, it performed superbly. Yes, as hard as that is to believe, superbly is the word that I used in the same sentence with "Williams" .

You've been drinking too much cough syrup Wink

9 1,199
 09-08-2013, 01:43 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 07:40 PM)12ichie12ich Wrote: Agreed! Finding the sweet spot for each soap will take some practice, but I can see now it'll be worthwhile!

Rich, I trust you will find it. I load a slightly more than damp brush on the puck and add a bit of water at a time until it doesn't look too thick (time to add water) or bubbly/runny (time to load more on the puck). Simple as that.

47 1,270