09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
I had my first DE shave today and I still have a lot to learn! My technique needs much work. I got a close shave, but also got a lot of irritation and nicks. Still, I can't wait until tomorrow so I can try again. I'm thinking my main problem is finding the correct angle for my razor. I'm used to using razors with pivot heads, so I didn't really have to worry about the angle. Practice, practice, practice!

0 7
 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Good luck and stay connected.

0 76
 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
You got it! Practice is paramount ... I can assure you that it will get better with a little patience and effort.

You'll get plenty of helpful advice here from many fine members ...

... my tip is : less pressure ... regardless of what razor/blade you're using now.

Enjoy! Smile

102 17,661
 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 01:49 PM)Agravic Wrote: You got it! Practice is paramount ... I can assure you that it will get better with a little patience and effort.

You'll get plenty of helpful advice here from many fine members ...

... my tip is : less pressure ... regardless of what razor/blade you're using now.

Enjoy! Smile

+1 Patience and practice are very important when you are starting out! Good luck.Smile

75 20,883
 09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Map Your Face

Prep it

and place the cap of the razor on your face and slowly lower the handle down to get the right angle and allow the blade to touch your face.

Then, short strokes.

Neck and Chin ... start over ... place the cap of the razor on your chin/neck area and slowly ...

Then, short strokes.

1 819
 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM
User Info
(09-07-2013, 06:07 PM)Grumpy Wrote: Map Your Face

Prep it

and place the cap of the razor on your face and slowly lower the handle down to get the right angle and allow the blade to touch your face.

Then, short strokes.

Neck and Chin ... start over ... place the cap of the razor on your chin/neck area and slowly ...

Then, short strokes.

Great advice. Today's shave was much better. I still have a long way to go, but at least I made a little progress today.

0 7
 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Congratulations in taking this major step in shaving to double edge razors. I wouldn't refer to shaving each day as practice as we are talking about your face (and neck) but more to nailing down technique and not applying too much pressure with your razor. Make sure your face is as slick as possible so your razor glides which will help ensure an irritation free shave.

100 12,436
 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Watch videos, listen to others with experience and remember these three things.

1. No pressure
2. No pressure
3. No pressure

173 23,484
 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
You are well on your way, LifesShort.

47 1,270
 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Congratulations. You're on your way. Your hand is there to guide the direction of the razor, not the pressure of the razor. Let the razor fall with gravity, rather than pulling it along. Don't worry about how close of a shave you're getting, as you can always go back over it again. Shave lightly, as if you were shaving your girlfriend's face, or the face of a child. Let the blade do the work; it's sharp enough and doesn't need your help.

34 4,503
 09-09-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
Practice makes perfect... the first time I used a DE to shave it looked like I had gone through a shredder Tongue

I think the main points I have learned - and have to remind myself of now and then - are:
- Good prep is important
- Good lather even more so
- No pressure - let the weight of the razor do the work
- Correct angle - neither too shallow or too steep.

It can be a bit of work to dial it in, but it's definitely worth it Biggrin And once you gotten the basics down pat, you can start experimenting with other blades, other soaps, other razors... oh, the joy BiggrinBiggrin

3 3,550
 09-09-2013, 04:49 AM
User Info
Third time's the charm! Today is my third time shaving with a DE and I got a nice shave with very little irritation and no nicks or cuts. I'm getting there. I just hate that I only get 1 try per day!

0 7
 09-09-2013, 06:04 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Sounds Great!

So keep learnin and shavin.

We all hate it that you only get One Shave A DayAngry

1 819
 09-09-2013, 06:42 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Congratz on your progress!

You will soon notice that there is much more control shaving with single blades vs the light weight multi-blade razors.

Videos posted on the web and reading other forum users posts about razors, blades, technique, etc. .. are a great source of information
Biggrin

Blessings,
James

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

9 1,684
 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
You're doing great and the basics that our members have posted here are right on target. It sounds as if you're already beginning to get the hang of it. Congratulations. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-09-2013, 07:02 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Congratulations! You'll be an expert in no time. It's a function of time and number of shaves under the belt.

One advice I would give that I have not seen and you may not like, but here goes... If you got badly irritated and cut up, skip a day or two and let the skin heal up completely. If the skin is still raw from the previous shave and you go and shave you can have a very bad experience and attribute it to your technique, when in fact it is still the bade technique of the last shave that's effecting you. If you let the skin heal and actually get a bit more growth on your face, you will have a much better session and learn better. I know, once you discover this wonderful ritual it's hard to not shave, but do keep track of the skin condition. If you are shaving the skin that's already irritated you may get into a cycle that will have you looking for solutions on wrong places. I ended up shaving every other day, even though I could definitely stand a shave every day. My daily shaves just became progressively worse and I had to take a break. After a few days' break I had the best shave ever. So at some point I conceded to shaving every other day. My skin just dictated it. So keep track of the way your skin reacts to the daily shaves. Most guys shave daily and are fine, but not all. When you are learning a new method you will naturally do a bit more damage than normal, so keep that in mind and you will have a wonderful learning experience and will be getting perfect shaves every time.

Welcome to the fold!

--
Vladimir

25 1,705
 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It's all muscle memory. Once you get it down you are going to ask yourself why you waited so long to do this.

173 23,484
 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 12:10 PM)Johnny Wrote: It's all muscle memory. Once you get it down you are going to ask yourself why you waited so long to do this.

+1 Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-10-2013, 05:33 AM
User Info
Welcome to the forum and world of traditional shaving.

Good comments above. For me, knowing exactly the direction my face hair grows (i.e., when I'm shaving with or against the grain) was most important.

0 140
 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
(09-09-2013, 07:02 AM)vferdman Wrote: Congratulations! You'll be an expert in no time. It's a function of time and number of shaves under the belt.

One advice I would give that I have not seen and you may not like, but here goes... If you got badly irritated and cut up, skip a day or two and let the skin heal up completely. If the skin is still raw from the previous shave and you go and shave you can have a very bad experience and attribute it to your technique, when in fact it is still the bade technique of the last shave that's effecting you. If you let the skin heal and actually get a bit more growth on your face, you will have a much better session and learn better. I know, once you discover this wonderful ritual it's hard to not shave, but do keep track of the skin condition. If you are shaving the skin that's already irritated you may get into a cycle that will have you looking for solutions on wrong places. I ended up shaving every other day, even though I could definitely stand a shave every day. My daily shaves just became progressively worse and I had to take a break. After a few days' break I had the best shave ever. So at some point I conceded to shaving every other day. My skin just dictated it. So keep track of the way your skin reacts to the daily shaves. Most guys shave daily and are fine, but not all. When you are learning a new method you will naturally do a bit more damage than normal, so keep that in mind and you will have a wonderful learning experience and will be getting perfect shaves every time.

Welcome to the fold!

--
Vladimir

+1 very good point and too easy to be tempted to have another shave when in that learning phase!

0 26