09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
Hello Forum Smile

I have now been wet shaving the traditional way for 2+ years, actually started using a brush in late 90's, but with a Sensor Excel head on a Pils handle.

In the 2 years I have managed to collect quite a bit of brushes, DE razors, creams, after shaves and a fragrance collection of 350+ fragrances.
I always loved fragrances since I was a teen and bought all the high end designer stuff in the late 80's, early 90's - I own all the best shaving creams I want to own - and found the holy grail in a shaving soap that doesn't dry out my skin (Martin De Candre Unscented) and mix the MDC with one of my many creams in a great super lather for all my shaves.

I own all the best DE razors I want to own - 40-50 new DE's and I don't buy or use used gear.
I basically own all the best badger brushes out there, custom made by Bernd, Mark W and Lee S - and pig is not for me, only own on that is a Semogue mixed boar and badger (a great brush)
I own 12 Mühle synthetic brushes, that almost made me sell my badger brushes......
I have tried and tested all the best DE blades - and desided straights are NOT for me because of maintenance issues.
A Japanese Feather Straight is already in my posession - a great surgical precision tool - not for hangover shaves though Tongue

How do you guys stay motivated in this hobby ?

I still visit the forum here, but most of the tips I read are things I already know - and frankly by now I feel I know 99% of the stuff I need to know.... Shy

Not thinking about quitting this forum or this nice hobby - not at all, still enjoy the talk in here too much. Just looking for ways to stay inspired and motivated.
Any tips Smile

24 5,680
 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I guess I don't really see it as a hobby anymore and have mellowed out. I'm kind of glad I've settled into my 3-4 razors, half a dozen brushes, and a couple dozen soaps routine and my excitement/motivation has died along with my AD's.
I still love to shave, don't get me wrong, but I'm thankfully not all gung-ho anymore and spending like a fool when I'm perfectly happy with what I'm using. Biggrin

31 1,510
 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
I went through a stage of buying a lot of shaving stuff.

Recently one by one I've been selling things that I no longer am 100% on.

Now for me it's time to ease back on the acquisitions and enjoy what I have. I find now the less rotation I have, the better shaves I get and I feel more satisfied in using products up.

My love is brushes, now all the brushes I own are my favourites so every shave is special.

Basically, now is time to enjoy what you have but with consistency rather than chop and change.

7 1,182
 09-08-2013, 01:06 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I think there's a lot to be said for stopping to smell the roses. It sounds like you've amassed quite an arsenal of goodies. Now you should step back and enjoy them. It's either that or give your stuff away and start over again. Just kidding!!

0 76
 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Klaus

Perhaps you can turn your attention to how to house your various collections. Custom built cabinets or locating antique cabinets from old rectories, hospitals, universities , barber shops. Could be an engrossing project and seeing your collections ideally presented would be exciting.

15 541
 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-08-2013, 12:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hello Forum Smile

I have now been wet shaving the traditional way for 2+ years, actually started using a brush in late 90's, but with a Sensor Excel head on a Pils handle.

How do you guys stay motivated in this hobby ?

I still visit the forum here, but most of the tips I read are things I already know - and frankly by now I feel I know 99% of the stuff I need to know.... Shy

Just looking for ways to stay inspired and motivated.
Any tips
Smile

1. I have been wet shaving for 50+ years and have never used a multi-blade razor.

2. It is not a hobby, it is a way of life.

3. If you feel you know 99% of the stuff, then share your knowledge with someone that does not.

4. Wet shaving is a right of passage, it is a ritual, it is meditation, it is a zen moment. Something I look forward to every day. Enjoy it.

175 23,757
 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
Claus, you could try posting pics for the SOTD thread. I am sure you have enough items to show us in your SOTD pics and it would be a great way to share those with us. Biggrin

82 21,024
 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
User Info
Hi Claus, I think it depends on what you want to do: increase/maintain involvement in TWS or phase out a bit. Based on your comments, it sounds like you want to do the former. Consider posting reviews, SOTD posts (like Celestino said), writing articles, digging into the history of TWS and sharing your findings, try finding vintage gear that is NOS so you can give them a whirl, contribute wisdom and gear to novices, etc. You may find giving back to the "community" rewarding. I also like Hanzo's idea of looking into proper storage.

47 1,270
 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I am not as old as Johnny so I have not been wet shaving for 50+ years ... I have only been doing it for 30+ and I have used a multi-blade razor.

But, for many years I used Williams because that was the soap that I could find and I didn't know about the riches that I could find on the internet.

Then, because of the cost of the cartridges I started to look for something different and found it.

I don't think of DE/SE or SR Shaving as a Hobby. Nor do I look at it as a task. I started to look at it as a Lost Art and a way of life.

So I am trying to teach my Sons that Wet Shaving is a Right of Passage, it is a Ritual, it is Meditation and it is a Zen Moment.

And something to look forward to.

I too bought a lot of stuff (not as much as you) but, I have quite a bit and now I am going through it.

I bought new and used (or vintage) shaving gear because, I appreciate what is both new and what is now vintage and I enjoy shaving with all of my gear.

So I stay motivated by knowing that tomorrow I am going to start off my day with a Great Shave. What tools will I use, I won't know until then (vintage Gillette, a Star, a Cooper, a Hoffritz, a 1912 Gem, a Gem G-Bar, a Gem Contour, a Merkur, a Muhle, a Parker, a Sabi, a Wilkenson, or an IKon)

But, I am now buying more selectively and will start to limit my soaps/creams, limit the number of my brushes and limit my aftershaves and colognes. But, not the number of razors.

1 819
 09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
(09-08-2013, 12:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I still visit the forum here, but most of the tips I read are things I already know - and frankly by now I feel I know 99% of the stuff I need to know.... Shy

There is always something new to learn. When I started shooting competitive sporting clays and skeet, I was shooting a round of sporting clays and was humbled by an older man shooting a well worn pump gun. I had a nice new Browning O/U and was feeling pretty good about myself. This older guy beat me by over 20 targets and had a close to perfect round. He said to me "You cannot buy broken targets, you need to earn them yourself." I learned a lot that day but it wasn't until about a week later that I found out that I shot with Wayne Mayes.

Quote:Wayne began his shooting career in the early 1970s in his hometown of Attalla, AL. His first World Championship was at the Forest City Gun Club in Savannah, GA in 1973, where he won the 28 gauge event. Over the next four decades, he would amass an incredible list of accomplishments that include 42 World Championship titles, 42 All-American Teams, six world records, and induction into the NSSA Hall of Fame. In June, 2012, he achieved what could be regarded as the most amazing feat in skeet history: 200 perfect, 100×100 straight scores in the .410 gauge.

I guess what I am trying to say is when you think you know just about everything you need to know, you stop learning. Keep an open mind, keep learning and share what you know with others. There are many different paths, that lead to the same destination. I know it isn't shaving related, but the lesson is the same.

18 578
 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
You could focus on being a DE evangelist, wet shaver mentor, or try to pare things down to the best of the best. The site has requested writers, have you considered this?

1 239
 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(09-08-2013, 01:59 PM)PanChango Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 12:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I still visit the forum here, but most of the tips I read are things I already know - and frankly by now I feel I know 99% of the stuff I need to know.... Shy

There is always something new to learn. When I started shooting competitive sporting clays and skeet, I was shooting a round of sporting clays and was humbled by an older man shooting a well worn pump gun. I had a nice new Browning O/U and was feeling pretty good about myself. This older guy beat me by over 20 targets and had a close to perfect round. He said to me "You cannot buy broken targets, you need to earn them yourself." I learned a lot that day but it wasn't until about a week later that I found out that I shot with Wayne Mayes.

Quote:Wayne began his shooting career in the early 1970s in his hometown of Attalla, AL. His first World Championship was at the Forest City Gun Club in Savannah, GA in 1973, where he won the 28 gauge event. Over the next four decades, he would amass an incredible list of accomplishments that include 42 World Championship titles, 42 All-American Teams, six world records, and induction into the NSSA Hall of Fame. In June, 2012, he achieved what could be regarded as the most amazing feat in skeet history: 200 perfect, 100×100 straight scores in the .410 gauge.

I guess what I am trying to say is when you think you know just about everything you need to know, you stop learning. Keep an open mind, keep learning and share what you know with others. There are many different paths, that lead to the same destination. I know it isn't shaving related, but the lesson is the same.

Now that's a helluva story!! And I know what you mean, my Browning O/U shotguns look great in a case, but I have yet to earn great scores with them...

But, back to Claus's original question. It seems I have a case of migratory AD, and the items I absolutely can't live without today could be replaced by a whole new category of items I can't live without tomorrow, and thus the cycle continues.

27 860
 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
One of the best things about this forum is reading Johnny's wisdom. I too have been shaving for over fifty years, but I'm unable to respond nearly as well as he did. The joy isn't about the stuff, it's about the shave, it's about the moment. If shaving really is about meditation and a zen moment, which I believe it is, then we are all far from being masters of that moment.

38 4,941
 09-08-2013, 11:24 PM
User Info
I can relate to wanting to find an answer to inspiration and motivation. I don't have the same level of experience as posted above (great stuff!) however ...

I went pretty heavy into acquiring shaving gear last year, got to the point where I disliked how much time, money and mental energy I spent on shaving - and how the enjoyment that got me interested enough to find this forum was no longer the focus. I also had so much stuff that I got frustrated using gear I didn't love just to use it when I had other gear I liked more sitting around.

I then went through a "correction phase" after realizing I wanted to "use" and not "collect". I then sold all but my very favorite gear, stopped buying new things, left the forum for a few months and tried to focus on the shave. I liked loving everything that I was using and how the simplicity of my rotation allowed me to get a good feel for each piece of gear.

I'm currently trying to find a middle ground (zen haha). I am re-buying a few things that I sold and missed (went a bit overboard getting rid of stuff). Am excited about participating in the forum, but not just as a means to find out what I want to buy next.

To stay motivated, my current goals are to focus on the process of shaving, enjoy my favorite gear, share this interest with people here and continue to learn. I also split my collection in 2 so that I'm still staying very small, but can rotate what I have immediately available when I want.

192 1,588
 09-09-2013, 12:39 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(09-08-2013, 12:45 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Now for me it's time to ease back on the acquisitions and enjoy what I have. I find now the less rotation I have, the better shaves I get and I feel more satisfied in using products up.

Same thing here, it's all about quality not quantity for me.

27 1,415
 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
No need to seek out ways to stay motivated. Good grooming habits are a way of life and getting along living in tightly packed communities. Wet shavers have found a way to do the basics in a pleasurable way. For years I had two straights and only a few soaps and creams. Now I am fortunate enough to have a good selection of brushes, razors, and all the accoutrements. In the end wet shaving with the basics is sufficient motivation. One only has to contemplate going back to cartridges or an electric razor to refocus if necessary. The wiser members, like Johnny, are inspirational as they never lost their way.

0 545
 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
User Info
I wouldn't say that I collect a lot of items. I have about 3-4 de's that I use, and 3 brushes. That's about it. I enjoy reading other reviews on soaps, A/S, brushes...and how members either liked or disliked it.

Think of it like sports. You know the rules, the equipment available, and who some of the key players are (Veterans and Rookies.) But it's still fun and exciting to watch, and see what's new and what's changing.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Brad

0 49
 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
For me the fun is in perfecting my technique and rotating through all of the soaps that I enjoy. I also get a lot of satisfaction from being able to shave five or six days a week without having irritated skin. That just wasn't possible back in the cartridge days.

15 762
 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM
User Info
Thanks to all for your contributions to this thread.

Maybe I should explain myself better.
It's not that I would ever think the thought of stopping with the wet shaving ritual.
It will always be there for me.

But it's more how to keep the motivation level up and stay inspired to read the shaving forums day in and day out.

I love reading this forum, but I just feel like when you have been in the game for a couple of years, you start to read the same things over and over.

I admire the guys in here that stay loyal and true to the mission: Always help out the new members, giving them a warm welcome and always being helpful with advice on how to get the best shave possible Smile

You guys know who you are, don't you Wink

I will never ever quit this hobby, that as now become a life style of mine.
Just felt I needed some new energy to find the inspiration to keep writing and reading about traditional wet shaving. That's all Wink

Always used to log in to read new posts several times a day, but now I sometimes skip a day or two.
But will always be back, that's for sure Thumbup

24 5,680
 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
User Info
When I began disposable blade shaving I was a sponge and others helped me. A PIF.

I'm quite content with my shaves and comfortable with my almost daily shave. I enjoy the process.

Now it's my turn to help others (another PIF) and to try to stay on top of what's out there even though largely I'm not buying much anymore.

It just keeps going around. Others helped me, I help others. That's what motivates me. Plus there are some pretty decent folks on these forums.

32 6,401