09-08-2013, 02:20 PM
User Info
Well, as most of you gentlemen know, I have been using the Weber DLC as my primary razor for a long time, 16 months approximately. Since starting this journey of wet shaving almost 2 years ago, I have tried over 100 different razors, vintage and modern, most of the stainless steel versions, SEs, injectors, straights, The Cobra, Feather straights, and so on. However, I have not found any razor that can compare to the DLC in the smoothness of how it shaves ME. I have also tried the Weber ARC and PH heads, but I still find the DLC to be much smoother than those two and I still firmly believe it is attributed to the DLC coating that Ed Weber applies to the head. I know this is very subjective, but I know quite a few gentlemen who also agree that the DLC is their favourite DE razor and the smoothest that they have tried. Granted, I have no scientific proof of this, but I have tried eliminating/subtracting all variables when comparing the three models of the Weber razor heads and my conclusions have led me to judging that the DLC coating is what makes this razor head the smoothest and most comfortable of the three. I believe that the coating actually slows the razor head down when shaving somehow and allows for a much smoother glide over the skin which helps to ease the cutting of the beard. Of course, I have no way of validating this in any scientific or substantial way, but my face knows what feels good and what is smooth when I use a razor and this DE razor head is the best one I have tried to date.

Consequently, since Ed stopped manufacturing this head awhile back and I believe he will not bring it back into production, I have been trying to find a way to replicate the razor head. I believe that all three of the Weber heads share the same mold, but with different finishes. Therefore, when a friend of mine told me that the DLC coating might be the cerakote graphite black coating they use on guns, I found a member on another forum who provides this service and contacted him about coating my Weber PH head that I had to see if it would match the shaving characteristics of my Weber DLC head. Therefore, I sent him my Weber PH head along with my UFO U2V1 SS (stainless steel) handle to get the cerakote graphite black coating. The gentleman who did the coating, Jared, did a fantastic job on the whole razor and the Weber PH head looked identical to my Weber DLC heads that I have, even better actually when it was finished. However, when I used it for its maiden shave, I knew right away that my experiment and hypothesis had failed. The shave was reminiscent of the shaves I had gotten with the Weber PH head before getting the coating done on it and also similar to the shaves I had gotten with the Weber ARC. Needless to say, I was very disappointed as I was hoping this would help anyone looking to try a Weber DLC head to have a viable option other than paying such exorbitant prices that the heads are now commanding.

Unfortunately, unless Ed Weber decides to bring them back into production or if anyone else can find a suitable replacement for the coating or knows what the coating that is actually used on the DLC heads, then these razor heads will continue to command such extreme prices. I understand that this may just be an insignificant issue to the majority of you, but I thought I should post this information just in case any of you were contemplating trying this so that it could save you the time and money. If this has been of any service to anyone, then that is the intention of this post. Thank you for your time. I should note that this cerakote coating is actually smoother and it seems to me to be a bit thinner than the original DLC coating. The DLC coating seems to be a bit thicker and "rougher/coarser" which may attribute to it providing the smoother shaves.

Here is the gentleman's information if anyone is interested in his services. http://www.EACconcepts.com
I know someone started a post, today, on similar a concept, but mine is focused on informing you that the coating applied to my razor head did not replicate the shaving characteristics of the Weber DLC. I was not trying to replicate the look of the DLC. That was not my intention.

Here is the link to the post that was started, today:
http://shavenook.com/thread-aftermarket-...r-polished
Here are some before and after pics of my Weber PH head + UFO SS handle.

These images are courtesy of EAC concepts.
[Image: 1kka.jpg]
[Image: kvyd.jpg]
[Image: djit.jpg]

These are my images and I apologize for the poor quality! Blush
[Image: ivge.jpg]
[Image: w9m9.jpg]
[Image: zmww.jpg]
[Image: smwy.jpg]

75 20,883
 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM
User Info
WOW! That looks awesome, Celestino! Parabéns! W00t Thumbsup

2 5,532
 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Celestino, thank you for sharing your experiences with this project! Your commentary is very descriptive and the pictures are great as well.
The new cerakote razor head and handle do look gorgeous in the pictures.
It seems that you will continue your quest for a DLC-like coating that matches the performance of your beloved original Weber DLC ... unless Weber decides to re-introduce the DLC! Biggrin

102 17,670
 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen!
Yes, Ravi, I just may have to continue my quest although I don't actually need to! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM
User Info
Very kind of you to share your adventure, Celestino.

47 1,270
 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
It was my pleasure, Tom. My curiosity can never be abated unless I try things. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-08-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
Celestino,

Thank you for sharing the outcome to the project. I must admit I was reading as fast as I could because I was really hoping that the cerakote process produced the same result as the DLC. All versions of the Weber razors are among the most favored razors I own and the DLC is the best of the Weber lot and provide me with my best shaves.

BTW - The razor with the cerakote coating looks fantastic.

29 1,731
 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
William, thank you! I was also hoping for more favourable results. I truly believe that the DLC head will be forever viewed as the smoothest DE shaver by many. I have heard from so many gentlemen who love it and find it an incredibly smooth shaver. I should start a petition to get Ed Weber to bring it back into production! Biggrin

I also agree that the razor looks stunning and Jared, the gentleman, did a fantastic job! If it had worked out, I would have gotten a few more Weber PH heads for him to do in various colours! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
WOW, but it looks so good! Too bad it doesn't hold up against DLC. Thanks for sharing Celestino!

88 4,233
 09-08-2013, 03:24 PM
User Info
Thanks, Steve! It sure is beautiful! Unfortunately, I don't foresee me keeping the head as I won't be using it! Maybe I should keep it for my SOTD pics! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
A shame it didn't live up to your expectations. Let's start the petition then.

27 1,297
 09-09-2013, 04:00 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
In any event the finish came out superb.

100 12,445
 09-09-2013, 04:35 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well done for trying Celestino. What are your thoughts on the coated UFO?

91 17,853
 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM
User Info
I commend your efforts, and lament that Weber seemingly no longer makes full razors. I've checked time and time again, but their website is always only stocked with handles.

I would sign a petition (especially for the DLC).

2 87
 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
The finish does look great and even Smile

0 89
 09-09-2013, 06:32 AM
User Info
Only owning the PH, and it being my favorite razor, this makes me wish I had purchased a DLC when they were available. Great try, the razor turned out nice.

31 1,800
 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
User Info
Ben, the UFO is superb! There was no change in the knurling whatsoever with the coating being applied. I would highly recommend it as it looks just incredible and as if Rafael had made the handle, himself! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM
User Info
Thanks for posting this! I was fortunate enough to recently get a DLC head and I am trying to see where it fits with the razors that I already own. I have a polished head Weber that I plan on doing a comparison with. I'll use the same 80mm bulldog handle on both and the same blade and shave 1/2 of my face with each razor for a week, alternating sides to see if there is a discernible difference between the two.

106 348
 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
User Info
How do the shaves differ between the original Weber DLC, the ARC and the PH?

19 631
 09-13-2013, 06:57 PM
User Info
Sorry the experiment didn't come out as planned, but that combo does look just wonderful. Enjoy it either way!

Oooooh, my 1,300th post on Fri the 13th!

63 2,128