09-08-2013, 06:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I was recently directed to this website: LanskY and it has me thinking where are the vast majority of brushes really made... ?

Viewing images of the brushes from this Chinese manufacturer begs the question, "Are designs simply imitated or are they in fact supplying brushes to more established names that are then branded accordingly?"

91 17,856
 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ben , this is going to be interesting...Icon_popcornIcon_popcorn

86 7,123
 09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I think that you may be on to something.Lightbulb

1 819
 09-08-2013, 10:38 PM
User Info
From the responses I've gotten in the past, I think people would rather just not know.

9 2,988
 09-09-2013, 01:17 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm not sure how many answers we will get. Hmm

25 4,640
 09-09-2013, 04:04 AM
User Info
I guess the answer is that some companies make their own brushes, some outsource and some to a bit of both.

3 3,580
 09-09-2013, 04:42 AM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 04:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I guess the answer is that some companies make their own brushes, some outsource and some to a bit of both.

Signs011

2 5,532
 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I know where my brushes are made.

Portugal

Italy

Isle of Man

The Chinese are the masters of copying things, then mass producing.

173 23,546
 09-09-2013, 06:33 AM
User Info
I'd say the large majority of brush users are intuitive rather than rational, in other words they'd like to believe that the company who labels the handle are in fact the original point of manufacture.

This observation obviously excludes our more learned friends from in and around these parts.

I'm sure many users aren't really that concerned whether their brush knot has been hand tied in the traditional way or machine made provided it does the job. Human nature I guess.

Lot's of choices, lot's of price points to suit all tastes. It's the way it should be.

Mark

1 630
 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
User Info
The larger portion of my collection are Semogues - and I know for certain where they are made, and who's making them! Biggrin

2 5,532
 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
are we talking handles or knots or both?

i know exactly who and where made all my brush handles.

as for the badger knots, frankly i couldn't give a s*&% who packed and knotted them. as long as its what i ordered and performs to my liking im a happy camper.

moderator edit: profanity amended

1 171
 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(09-09-2013, 06:49 AM)oversaturn Wrote: The larger portion of my collection are Semogues - and I know for certain where they are made, and who's making them! Biggrin

Of that there is absolutely no doubt! Tongue

25 4,640
 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
User Info
The whole made in China thing is a huge red herring these days. Virtually every consumer good we touch had something made in China.

From high end luxury to the stuff at the dollar store, China makes it all. And there isn't any reason they can't or don't make things to the same quality level as the old guard.

As far as brushes go, the Chinese factories don't innovate, they make what someone tells them to make and exactly that, no more, no less.

Companies such as Frank Shaving and Delong have factories and their own designs, but they subcontract a lot of the parts.

9 2,988
 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
Fortunately for companies like us there are still sufficient numbers of folk who are comforted by the fact that their brush has been manufactured in a time served manner.

That certainly doesn't mean our brushes are better than what's out there in the Far East.

Horses for courses. If we all liked the same things it would be a dull existence.

Mark

1 630
 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Wow whats a subjectHuh...I Guess what matters most when looking at handles is the question of material, and what skill level the person/machine is capable of producing, otherwise where(location)a handle is made matters the least to me...make it China, United Kingdom, an artisans garage in America-doesn't matter as long as they know what they're really doing. The hair all comes from China, and if the knots are already installed I couldn't and wouldn't care whether it's hand tied or machine made, as long as the quality does not suffer as a result. If I'm buying a "raw knot", the workmanship that has gone into creating such knot is more visible and therefor should exhibit quality/craftsmanship. I understand that many consumers assume that a product made in China cannot possibly have the overall quality and especially longevity in the avg. product as compared to other well known countries/places of manufacture...I personally have had more lackluster products from China, than quality/longevity filled...but in some products I'm completely impressed, so the possibility for quality certainly exists. For me it's about not being too early an adopter of any product unknown to the masses...I wait and read the reviews/comparisons and then draw some conclusions. The final piece to brush creation is in combing handle and hair knot...I DO like to know where and by whom this process is done, so that I can make some assumptions about quality control and end product quality...In the end I trust specific brands because they have earned it over years, many successful products, and/or many happy customers...This doesn't mean that there aren't great new products on the market that can offer real value, and sometimes just the perfect recipe of manufacture, to be both a successful business and truly offer consumers something entirely new or an improved quality to price point.Box

4 792
 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM
User Info
It's all a matter of what price point you're looking at. With brushes, I tend to stay with Simpson and Shavemac, or I go custom. I know where and how Simpson and Shavemac are made and the level of customer service they offer. I accept that I have to pay a premium for these two brands. I do have some Rooney brushes and the ongoing mystery of who makes them and where does concern me.

37 2,965
 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
User Info
speaking of mysterious makers and knots etc...let's not forget about: AliExpress. I started a thread on them a while back that got shut down pretty quick Undecided

to me, it's clear who makes their own handles and who sources them out.

knots are not as clear for me, but if they perform well, it's all that matters.

I'd prefer not to be able to pick up the same knot off shore for 1/6 the the price, so try to do a bit of research before I buy a brush.

8 2,718
 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 05:42 PM)Bruce Wrote: I'd prefer not to be able to pick up the same knot off shore for 1/6 the the price, so try to do a bit of research before I buy a brush.

The way modern production works though is there's usually a big factory that produces for a bunch of different companies. While each item that comes out may be similar, they're all made to the specifications of the buyer. So, you usually can't get the exact same thing at all.

All the raw hair is from the same sources though.

9 2,988
 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
I prefer to know where my stuff is made, and that translates to all things in life not just shaving. As Lee mentioned, not all things made in China are chock full of lead or crap. My $2500.00 Cervelo bicycle is made in China, and it is flawless. I generally prefer the finer things in life which usually mean USA, England, Germany, France or Italy. As for shaving brushes (back on topic), buy a Simpson if you want to know exactly where and how your brush was made. WSP are a great example of quality brushes that are clearly labeled where they are made. Plus, we have a local (Lee) that glues in the knots of the bigher end brushes and of course has a hand (literally) on all the brushes he sells us. I believe in disclosure, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

63 2,128
 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 05:16 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's all a matter of what price point you're looking at. With brushes, I tend to stay with Simpson and Shavemac, or I go custom. I know where and how Simpson and Shavemac are made and the level of customer service they offer. I accept that I have to pay a premium for these two brands. I do have some Rooney brushes and the ongoing mystery of who makes them and where does concern me.

Why the 'or I go custom' Huh

I own 12 Shavemacs, and all are custom made to my specifications.
I own 10 Simpsons (hopefully soon 15), and only 5 are bought at retail stores and have standard specifications.
I only own 4 Rooneys for the same reason as you - don't know who and where they are made. Suspect Lee S could still be the man behind, but not sure.
I own 8 Morris & Forndran, and I know Lee S is the man behind all these and that he buys the raw material for his handles and then turns them.

22 5,064