09-08-2013, 09:53 PM
User Info
I decided a little while ago that I wanted to try out a 2 band brush, so I decided on the TGN 2 band finest 24mm knot. I received the knot and seemed pretty high quality. Since it was my first 2 band, I didn't know what to look for. It seemed to have more backbone than my 30mm Whipped Dog and a bit more 'scritchy'. I knew that this was pre break-in, so I had high hopes! I didn't want any ordinary handle, so I decided to pick up a 24mm firehouse handle from Larry. I'm sure glad I did! It took a little bit of time to receive, but I understand the fact that it's a handmade piece mad on a per basis.
Enough words, pictures.
[Image: IMG_3048_zps9369c239.jpg]
30mm Whipped Dog and the TGN 2 band finest. I had the handle drilled 10mm more and the loft is set to about 47mm.

[Image: IMG_3059_zpse68c7e50.jpg]
Close up of the TGN 2 band.

[Image: IMG_3061_zps7e062fc5.jpg]
Close up of the 30mm Whipped Dog silvertip.

Now let's talk about performance... I've been bowl lathering for since I started wet shaving (about a month ago). I never thought I'd face lather because I like the idea of bowl lathering. It seems more fun. I decided to finally take the plunge in face lathering and glad I did! I loaded up the brush with Proarso green croap and went to town! I didn't need to shave that day, but I got 4 full face lathers and still squeezed more lather out of the brush while cleaning. I was more than impressed!

I'm very pleased with this brush and look forward to using it more!
After lurking on this forum so much, I may have to pick up a WSP knot and set into a nice handle! So many options!!!

6 229
 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Great review, congrats!

31 425
 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM
User Info
Good review!

I also have the same knots so I can share my experience.

WD 30mm Silvertip. Mine is in a restored handle, at what ever loft that was decided. I bought it on impulse and used it twice. It feels nice but it is too big for face lathering. I put it in my wife's leg-shaving kit. She loves it as it cover's a lot of space. A few months down the road, it still sheds (2-3 hairs,I check it every now and then) but my wife doesn't seem to notice it the way she uses it.

TGN - I have the 24mm fan shaped 2-band. Tips are very soft, almost as WD's silvertip and good backbone. I think it lost 5 hairs on during the very minimal defunking stage.
I also have a Semogue SOC 2-band finest and to be honest, the TGN works better for me.

6 808
 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new brush! 2-bands are very lovely and those WSP 2-bands are very nice, indeed!

75 20,883
 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 01:19 PM)Galhatz Wrote: Good review!

I also have the same knots so I can share my experience.

WD 30mm Silvertip. Mine is in a restored handle, at what ever loft that was decided. I bought it on impulse and used it twice. It feels nice but it is too big for face lathering. I put it in my wife's leg-shaving kit. She loves it as it cover's a lot of space. A few months down the road, it still sheds (2-3 hairs,I check it every now and then) but my wife doesn't seem to notice it the way she uses it.

TGN - I have the 24mm fan shaped 2-band. Tips are very soft, almost as WD's silvertip and good backbone. I think it lost 5 hairs on during the very minimal defunking stage.
I also have a Semogue SOC 2-band finest and to be honest, the TGN works better for me.

My WD has shed a bit as well. Face lathering is next to impossible for me with it, too. I think a leg kit would be perfect.

I've spent way too much on brushes within the past month! I have a Kent BK8 and Wiborg on the way. Super excited and not thrilled about overseas shipping. I'm too impatient.

6 229
 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM
User Info
Update on this... rubbed this brush, dry, on my face a little and then I face lathered with it. I ended up getting a bit of irritation. I may avoid face lathering with this brush for a few weeks to see if it softens up.

6 229