09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Hello gents.

It was recently brought to my attention that there are noticeable differences between the two Acqua di Parma Barbiere shave cream (tube and tub) and the two after-shave products, and wanted to know your preference between these two:

Acqua di Parma Fresh Moisturing Balm

[Image: 50003_400x400_categorymgrpillar_50003.jpg]

Acqua di Parma Regenerating After-Shave Lotion

[Image: 50004_400x400_categorymgrpillar_50004.jpg]

I searched but couldn't find this information elsewhere, but please let me know if you did.

Regards.

25 4,642
 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Anyone? Rolleyes

25 4,642
 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
User Info
The first is an aftershave balm and the second one an aftershave lotion, they call it "tonic", which contains alcohol. Both are scented with their signature Colonia scent.

10 605
 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(09-11-2013, 12:41 PM)HoracioAR Wrote: The first is an aftershave balm and the second one an aftershave lotion, they call it "tonic", which contains alcohol. Both are scented with their signature Colonia scent.

Thank you, that information I was able to get from their website, what I was looking for was some personal preferences between the two.

25 4,642
 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Last year I got a sample of each from the AdP Boutique at Fashion Park and was astonished to see just how thick the balm was vs the lotion. I opted for the lotion, since I do not care for thick balms. One thing about the lotion is that since it carries alcohol it does sting a bit going on, but it dissapates straight-away and is absorbed nicely, leaving my face smooth and silky for the entire day....

The Balm stays on thick and left ME with a pastey sort of feeling. I would not buy the balm, since I prefer a much thinner consistency...Word of caution for both of these - unlike the cream whose scent rinses right away after the shave, these have quite a potent scent, so it will interfere with any OTHER scent you wear for the day...I don't mind it at all as I really like the Colonia Intensa Scent, so it works for me that it is scented.

Good luck mate, and I hope my commentary gives the info you need.

68 1,417
 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(09-11-2013, 02:04 PM)Crag Wrote: Last year I got a sample of each from the AdP Boutique at Fashion Park and was astonished to see just how thick the balm was vs the lotion. I opted for the lotion, since I do not care for thick balms. One thing about the lotion is that since it carries alcohol it does sting a bit going on, but it dissapates straight-away and is absorbed nicely, leaving my face smooth and silky for the entire day....

The Balm stays on thick and left ME with a pastey sort of feeling. I would not buy the balm, since I prefer a much thinner consistency...Word of caution for both of these - unlike the cream whose scent rinses right away after the shave, these have quite a potent scent, so it will interfere with any OTHER scent you wear for the day...I don't mind it at all as I really like the Colonia Intensa Scent, so it works for me that it is scented.

Good luck mate, and I hope my commentary gives the info you need.

Thanks Crag, it helped a lot!
I don't appreciate very thick balms either, so the lotion seems to be the way to go. Also, I do live the Colonia Intensa scent, so it should be a great combo.

Thanks again! Wink

25 4,642
 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 01:01 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 12:41 PM)HoracioAR Wrote: The first is an aftershave balm and the second one an aftershave lotion, they call it "tonic", which contains alcohol. Both are scented with their signature Colonia scent.

Thank you, that information I was able to get from their website, what I was looking for was some personal preferences between the two.

Well, both products are for after shaving, but they serve different purposes, like you might know, speaking which is a better products I would say that the tonic is better, because the aftershave balm is very "watery", it lacks consistency. Hope that helps.

10 605
 09-12-2013, 01:10 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(09-11-2013, 07:18 PM)HoracioAR Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 01:01 PM)TheMonk Wrote:

Well, both products are for after shaving, but they serve different purposes, like you might know, speaking which is a better products I would say that the tonic is better, because the aftershave balm is very "watery", it lacks consistency. Hope that helps.

This must really be a case of YMMV.... You and Crag have said the exact opposite in regards to the consistency of the Balm! Biggrin

25 4,642
 09-12-2013, 02:39 AM
User Info
I don't own either product, but I tested them out in a department store once. As far as I recall, the balm is relatively thin and "milky". Scentwise I preferred the splash (though I liked both).

0 8
 09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(09-11-2013, 01:01 PM)TheMonk Wrote: This must really be a case of YMMV.... You and Crag have said the exact opposite in regards to the consistency of the Balm! Biggrin

(09-12-2013, 02:39 AM)hoseunyan Wrote: I don't own either product, but I tested them out in a department store once. As far as I recall, the balm is relatively thin and "milky". Scentwise I preferred the splash (though I liked both).

I looked at my bottle this morning since HoracioAR & hoseunyan posted and I bought the BALM not the LOTION...So the BALM is the thinner product...I'm not sure why I thought I had purchased the Lotion, but I was SURE OF IT...

Jeeze...I am Getting OLD and Forgetful...my wife was right afterall!!Huh

68 1,417
 09-24-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
both.... seriously.... the lotion works well in the summer and the balm in the colder, winter months. If I had to pick one, I would go with the balm.

97 1,252
 12-10-2013, 03:41 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have both of these waiting for me to open on Xmas, and I am keen to try.

It is summer here in Sydney, so I'll try the splash first and alternate with the balm, which I would ordinarily use in the colder moths. I'll write my thoughts then. Has anyone any further thoughts in the meantime? I'd normally balk at the price, but it is Xmas and they are presents Smile

I was attracted to Acqua di Parma after having received a sample of the Colonia, which I mixed with an Italian balm which had a vetiver scent I didn't care for at all ...and BAM! Instant love!

(09-09-2013, 09:20 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Hello gents.

It was recently brought to my attention that there are noticeable differences between the two Acqua di Parma Barbiere shave cream (tube and tub) and the two after-shave products, and wanted to know your preference between these two:

I searched but couldn't find this information elsewhere, but please let me know if you did.

Regards.

0 1,625
 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I should also get some AdP products for Christmas, and I am very tempted with the Colonia Balm, although I do love the scent of the Colonia Essenza. Rolleyes

Please share your thoughts when you try both products, Shaun.

Regards.

(12-10-2013, 03:41 AM)Shaun Wrote: I have both of these waiting for me to open on Xmas, and I am keen to try.

It is summer here in Sydney, so I'll try the splash first and alternate with the balm, which I would ordinarily use in the colder moths. I'll write my thoughts then. Has anyone any further thoughts in the meantime? I'd normally balk at the price, but it is Xmas and they are presents Smile

I was attracted to Acqua di Parma after having received a sample of the Colonia, which I mixed with an Italian balm which had a vetiver scent I didn't care for at all ...and BAM! Instant love!

(09-09-2013, 09:20 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Hello gents.

Regards.

25 4,642
 12-24-2013, 03:14 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Christmas morning here in Sydney. I shaved with a 2013 R41 with an Astra blade, which was about three days in, and a little on the rough side. Tabac and my beautiful 1950s Chubby #1 butterscotch two-band Smile

Three passes and a little touch up, and a bitey astringent alum as I cleaned up.

Then rinsed off and dried followed by the Acqua di Parma balm.

Noticeably subtle on the Colonia scent, a little disappointingly mild, scent-wise. I'd have preferred something a little stronger really, perhaps a little longer lasting. It absorbs very well, very easily. The opening on the bottle is tiny, which is good because it allows more control over the flow of what is an expensive product.

///

It's now 20 minutes in, and the face-feel is superb, really and truly. My skin feels supple and fresh, moisturised without the slightest greasiness, and the light, light scent has mellowed which is saying something considering it's not particularly noticeable anyway.

If you like a stronger cologne/fragrance, this is not for you. If you like VERY subtle, then it IS for you. What scent there is is truly lovely. I love this fragrance; it settles into a faint muskiness and woody something...and that is what I wanted. Not sure where people get the idea that Colonia is a lemony fragrance. It might say so in the base-notes directory, but in the balm, I don't really get a strong sense of lemon at all.

I love the product. One for special occasions, but if I were going out on a date, say, I'd top up with a little of the Acqua spray. This is a very suave and elegant product. Bottle looks expensive and elegant too Smile I give it an 8 to 9.

0 1,625
 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Now 2.5 hours later and it's still feeling rather lovely. Faint trace of the Colonia still. Wife loves it. Face feels great, but it was also because of the R41.

0 1,625
 12-25-2013, 08:15 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(12-24-2013, 05:49 PM)Shaun Wrote: Now 2.5 hours later and it's still feeling rather lovely. Faint trace of the Colonia still. Wife loves it. Face feels great, but it was also because of the R41.

I also got the Barbiere Balm for Christmas, but haven't used it yet. I agree with you on the scent though, it isn't very strong.
The Essenza Face Emulsion, which I also got, does have a much stronger scent.

25 4,642
 12-25-2013, 08:13 PM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
I am working through a bottle of Musgo Real and I just purchased a fresh bottle of Floris JF splash, but I do indeed want to purchase a bottle of the AdP splash in 2014.

19 714