09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
User Info
My 7/8 Spanish Point from Ralf Aust arrived nearly a week ago. I must say that all the glowing reports I've read about these razors are completely justified.
The fit and finish is impeccable. The razor itself has good heft and balance, and it is wielded very comfortably by either hand. The blade centers perfectly in the three pin scales. And, unlike much of what I have read, Herr Aust's edge is completely "shave ready," As a matter of fact, I got a great shave with just a good stropping!
The scales are plastic, but really quite nice, with the logo seemingly applied by laser .. Quite deep and attractive!
The grind on my example is utterly even and centralized, and the stamping on the tang very classy, as is the etching on the blade .. A touch of luxury!
I was half expecting an "entry level" razor, but this piece of craftsmanship is much more than that .. It is a blade that even a jaded straight razor aficionado would be proud to own and use...

I'm highly impressed!!

[Image: 014_zps10da24ad.jpg]

[Image: LOGO3_zpsd6737da3.jpg]

0 319
 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Right you are about the Ralf Aust razors. They are well made and sweet. I have the 7/8 in round point and Spanish point, and the 6/8 in round point, and am pleased with all. Everything you say about the razor on on spot. Good show.

132 2,614
 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice looking razor.

173 23,519
 09-10-2013, 02:22 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Sweet!!

Though I am wishing for something other than plastic scales, that razor is a thing of beauty.. Enjoy!

33 914
 09-10-2013, 03:08 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I have the Aust 6/8 Spanish from SRD, it's like butta...

16 543
 09-10-2013, 05:37 AM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 02:22 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Sweet!!

Though I am wishing for something other than plastic scales, that razor is a thing of beauty.. Enjoy!

I understand about the plastic scales, and I tend to agree. But, I'll be completely blunt. Herr Aust is obviously a better craftsman than a businessman. I understand he does everything himself, so perhaps he can be forgiven for his lack of attention to personal orders via his website, and e-mails.
I've had a 7/8 Square Point in Rosewood on order for months .. Since the 7/8 model first appeared. Aust's website is quite difficult to negotiate, and even moreso for non-German speakers, but I got through the order form OK with google translate. Follow-up e-mails also proved fruitless, and that is why I grabbed the Spanish Point in plastic when it became available.

But..... I am just so taken with the qualities of the Ralf Aust, that my order will stand in hopes of it someday being filled. And, I will welcome another Aust here, in nicer scales, with open arms! No doubt!!

0 319
 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Another gorgeous razor... Damn! Biggrin

25 4,638
 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Interesting that the scales were mentioned, when I first received the Aust, I could not believe how cheap the scales were. I mean, the scales on my very first razor, a Dovo Best 5/8 had more substantial scales. But then I shaved with it, and I haven't thought about the scales since.

16 543
 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I do like the quality plastic scales. Yes, there are the flimsy plastic scales, say, those on the lower end Dovo razors, and then there are those of quality, such as the plastic scales on the Thiers-Issard. The Ralf Aust plastic scales are in the same class as those on the Thiers-Issard.

I have four Ralf Aust razors as of today, two in 7/8 and two in 6/8, all with the original plastic scales, and plan to change nothing. Even with the plastic scales the razors look well made. They have good balance and a fine edge. I like to add my own edge to the blades, but they are fine right out of the box, too. You can't say that about every new razor made today.

132 2,614
 09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
User Info
I just received my Aust 7/8" Spanish Point, and I must say that I totally agree with your assessment. The thing is built like a tank and the craftsmanship is second to none. I have not attempted to shave with it yet, but I am sure it'll shave very well! Overall I am very impressed with the Aust!!

1 6
 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
Plastic scales don't bother me either, as long as they're tight, I really don't care what they are. Some horn scales don't feel much different from the better plastic anyway...

1 131
 09-11-2013, 01:34 AM
User Info
Lovely thread.
What is the grind on Ralph Aust razors?

6 808
 09-11-2013, 04:29 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(09-11-2013, 01:34 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Lovely thread.
What is the grind on Ralph Aust razors?
They are full hollow.

132 2,614
 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM
User Info
Aust makes one heck of a razor

97 1,252
 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
I would like to buy one of these 7/8 as my next razor purchase, though it might take awhile to get there. Has anyone received one from ordering directly from his website?

9 90
 10-26-2013, 05:36 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow!
I love the shape of the blade.
it's nice to read that it shaves as good as it looks too!

Congratz on the fine purchase Clap

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 12-16-2013, 09:11 AM
  • Archi
  • Radom, Poland
User Info
During my last commissioning in Germany I decided to buy straight razor and start wet shaving. I was about to buy something from Revisor but then I found nice review and bought blade form Ralf Aust. It supposed to be a 6/8 Spanish point with scales from grenadill wood. After I measured the blade I realized that I get 7/8 instead 6/8. It's a little funny because I wanted to buy 7/8 but thought that for start it will be better to have something smaller. I bought also a strop and for everything I got 16% discount. Shipment was for free. And that's my straight razor

[Image: IMG_9821_zps56a6fa20.jpg]

Razor never passed the HHT test but it cutted my hairs on forearm easily so I decided to start my adventure. Now after 2 months I must admit it wasn't really shave ready. It wasn't also bad because I was able to shave for almost 2 months without big problems. A week ago I bought a water stone MST Müller and after 30 passes, finally is very sharp. The blade is big but is also very well balanced and centered perfectly between scales. It isn't polished very well (no real mirror), depending on the angle and the light it's very easy to see lines from the grinding wheels. It's not something which decide about the shave comfort but for some people this could be very important detail. I never had any problems with the grip. I'm true right handed guy but holding the razor with my left hand was something natural and easy.

[Image: IMG_9748_zpsb597446a.jpg]

Grenadill scales looks nice. They aren't perfectly smooth, so for some people this could be defect also they're not symetric. When I put my razor on the table I need to place two sheets of paper under the left scale to keep the razor in the good position (if not then razor fall down). Because it's not the cheapest razor that's why I wanted to tell you about these minor imperfections.
I really love my SR, if I could have a chance to start once again I would choose again Ralf Aust but this time with american point which in my opinion looks better. They have been available only in 7/8 size but I wasn't sure if it's a good option for start ;-)

[Image: IMG_9833_zps99684093.jpg]

I'm not sure if you already know but there is new website available from which we can order Ralf Aust razors. It's still only in German but it's much more user friendly than old one was. I hope that this information will be helpful for anyone interested in buying and that you understand what I wanted to say. More photos available here: http://s783.photobucket.com/user/_archi_...t=3&page=1

0 23
 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to write such detailed balanced review.

What is the address of the new website you mentioned?

6 808
 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  • Archi
  • Radom, Poland
User Info
(12-17-2013, 09:55 AM)Galhatz Wrote: What is the address of the new website you mentioned?

http://shop.rasiermesser-manufaktur.de/Rasiermesser/

I wasn't sure if I can place links to shops on this forum.

0 23
 12-18-2013, 03:06 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've had my eye on this razor for a while. Actually, since this post was first made.

I've noticed that there are a few versions of the 7/8. With and without jimps as well as with or without spine work. Google does a good job of translating Ralf Aust's website but I don't see how one would order these options.

Can any one tell me more about ordering options?

edit.... I found it.. The Acrylic scale option has to be selected first, then the point style and there-after, you're given the option to choose jimps and spine work. It doesn't appear that adding the options increases the price. I've gotten this far, but am reluctant to order given the whole translation thing... the 7/8 Spanish Point, acrylic scales, with jimps top and bottom and spine work is $292

33 914