09-09-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
I have my wee scot, I have my CF travel size, what is the best travel razor? Preferably something compact that maybe even unscrews like the merkur travel. (That may be the answer right there.)

0 53
 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
User Info
I never understood why a travel razor or travel sized brush would be needed. if it all fits in a DOPP bag or toiletrie bag, why not go with normal sized items?

I use a SLIM for my travel razor as it's my go-to home razor and want to get the same shaves when away.

The difference in size from a break down, travel razor to a regular sized razor is not worth fussing around if you ask me.

8 2,718
 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have a nice Travel Brush that fits into a very nice case.

I use whatever razor I want for Travel.

However, I have several travel razors that will unscrew and fit into a very tiny little case.

1 819
 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
 09-09-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
I use a well experienced Long Comb NEW on a bar handle. It comes down to a small package and I would not be overly upset if it disappeared. Taken apart, the razor and a pack of blades easily fits in a pill bottle. I have had items stolen while travelling in the past and it sucks.

18 567
 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
(09-09-2013, 03:35 PM)Bruce Wrote: I never understood why a travel razor or travel sized brush would be needed. if it all fits in a DOPP bag or toiletrie bag, why not go with normal sized items?

I use a SLIM for my travel razor as it's my go-to home razor and want to get the same shaves when away.

The difference in size from a break down, travel razor to a regular sized razor is not worth fussing around if you ask me.

I agree with you Bruce, my travel setup is a Wilkinson Sword Tech-2, with a shavestick and my Semogue 1520. My aftershave is in a 3 ounce travel bottle. I keep it simple. It's all got to fit in the dopp kit.

Clayton

6 617
 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
GEM OCMM - one of my best razors at home and easy to replace. A GEM 1912 or Junior would be nice if you must take apart.

Personna two-blade disposable - more than decent shave when I must carry on.

47 1,270
 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have a couple brushes that fit well into the Simpson travel cylinder(Simp. Case,WeeScot)...I like the fact that the cylinder provided a place for the brush to dry and be protected too. I wanted an inexpensive travel razor that could easily be replaced if lost. I went with the Feather TTO Popular razor...Only $18 from the pharmacy, and it comes with a case to dry/hold the razor and keeps the razor protected...comes with a few feather blades that fit nicely within the supplied case...All in all it fits the bill for me!

4 792
 09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My Cobra travels with me. I had a travel Merkur, but didn't enjoy the reduced performance, so for the sake of some minimal extra weight and size, my perfect travel razor is also my perfect home razor. When traveling, it's often with a view to take a break from work etc not the things I enjoy, like shaving...

It's the same with my preferred travel brush, although smaller than what I generally lather with at home it's the same hair grade and manufacturer that I regularly use. (Simpson Manchurian CL1 with the Simpson Case)

91 17,801
 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM
User Info
Well there is no simple answer to your question as you found out.

I'm going to assume you're shaving with DE since you mention Merkur.

I have a number of options but if I was going to take a DE razor it would be an easily replaceable head and a Gillette travel razor handle.

Here is my only DE travel razor. Based on my above suggestions.
[Image: DSC03651.jpg]

It began lfe as an old Gillette travel razor kit that had seen much better days. I decided I liked the idea of a travel razor that I didn't really care about if I lost it, so I made the case seen above. I can put either the Travel Tech head in it or a New. Both heads are useable for me with shims, otherwise they're just not aggressive enough for me. YMMV. An installed blade and shims stay in place in the head with this case.

A Travel Tech used to be fairly inexpensive on E-bay. I bet they still are since there are so many of them. Lose it and it's very easily replaced.

You know the technique of using an old Rx bottle as a case for your WeeScot, yes? Even the larger Omega seen here will fit in the Rx bottle shown.
[Image: DSC03788.jpg]

32 6,308
 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Yuma,very cheap,if it is lost or stolen.

31 425
 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
There is certainly a lot of sense in travelling with something inexpensive and easily replaced, even if I don't do it myself, I can't argue the logic in it. That said I travel with an expensive and large camera and lens and would be equally upset if I lost that.

91 17,801
 09-10-2013, 05:21 AM
User Info
There is two reasons to go for travel-gear; You don't want to loose your regular stuff, or space is a premium.

For me, it's both: hence why I got a Merkur 985CL in my GoBag Biggrin

3 3,557
 09-10-2013, 06:31 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Sometimes I wonder about the prices on eBay. I have seen some items going for what I think is way too much.

1 819
 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
Pearl makes a nice travel razor. The plated brass handle unscrews into two pieces. It is solid metal with very good knurling. The little case it come in is adequate, and the razor head is a plain plated zamak closed bar. I bought a Shavecraft 101 head to substitute and it is a great razor.
An earlier poster to this thread mentioned just taking a regular razor along traveling. Well, of course that works fine, except you don't then have an excuse to get another razor. I'm not sure about pasting links to retail sites, but if it's a faux pas I hope the moderator will simply take it out. here 'tis:
http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-the-Pe...avel+razor
Euro

5 394
 10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
User Info
I used to travel with my DE, but the blades became a hassle. Since then, I ordered a Gillette Guard and some refills. Works good enough, but after traveling for two weeks, I'm ready for a DE shave Biggrin

21 555
 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM
User Info
I use a Weber PH with a Simpson Major. I throw the Weber in an iKon leather case. If I lost any one of them, I'd be upset; but they could be replaced semi reasonably....

35 196
 10-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I like to use a travel razor because, well, I'm travelling, and I like to be in the travelling 'zone' Smile

I use a Gillette 4-piece, Canadian tech. It might even be my favourite razor, it shaves that well. Otherwise I have a Merkur travel razor (modern version) and also a Merkur OC from maybe the 1950s, in one of those cute beaten metal cases. They all shave well, but I like the Canadian the most.

0 1,622
 10-08-2014, 08:06 PM
User Info
Why give up a premium shave just because you are traveling? I want to enjoy my travels, which includes enjoying comfortable shaves while traveling. Therefore, I recommend your razor head of choice and a travel razor handle, like the Ikon Tuckaway, if you are concerned that much about space.

Here is the description from the BullGoose website:

Travel Handle – 67mm long

Precision Machined 316L Stainless Steel

18 242
 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(09-09-2013, 03:29 PM)* J Y * Wrote: Q: what is the best travel razor?

A: The razor that you won't mind losing (either by your forgetfulness or to those jack-booted thugs from TSA).

As for compactness, I have my standard Edwin Jagger DE89 with lined handle tucked safely in an Altoids tin. Full sized razor in a compact container.
Unless you are REALLY pressed for space, there's no reason to compromise.

42 1,757