09-10-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
Alright here's the deal, I've been using a DE for a few months now and along the way my face and beard have been getting used to the 3-pass shaving routine. I used to use a Fusion, and electric Norelco Sensotouch 3D in between sometimes, before buying my first DE and always shaved ATG/XTG, never WTG. Now that I switched and following the instructions of going WTG, then XTG, and finally ATG, the blade is spending more time on my face trying to achieve the so called BBS that my fusion used to give me, causing some irritation once in a while. So I thought to myself, If I always shaved XTG/WTG on one or two passes, maybe that's what my face is accustomed to?
So I have experimented with my DE razors and have been shaving on most areas of my face starting either going ATG, or XTG. I seem to be getting better and closer results this way. My face is much less irritated, and seems much smoother. Has anyone tried shaving ATG on the first pass??

To give everyone an idea, I try to stay clean cut as much as possible, shaving every day if not every other day. So I have short stubble but enough to cut. I'm from an Italian background, olive complexion, and always leave off that sorta 5o'clock shadow after a clean shave. I usually prep with a pre-shave oil, and move about with different creams (proraso red/green, cremo, jack black beard lube, palm olive, and just bought zirh shave gel/cream).

So.. has anyone tried this approach before? maybe some tips from some of you veterans out there. Thanks for looking and appreciate your feedback Smile

- Co

9 81
 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
User Info
I have the same physical characteristics as you; Portuguese, olive-skin, dark and coarse beard.
I have tried shaving ATG firstly and it does seem to help reduce the beard a bit better. However, I perfer to leave that for the final third pass and finish with blade-buffing in the tougher areas. However, if it is working for you, then you should continue with it as there are no set rules for this as we all have different beards and tolerances.
Good luck. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I shave everyday and have always just done WTG and XTG passes. Leaves it smooth enough for me and the misses.

173 23,553
 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
Now what exactly is blade buffing?

9 81
 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-10-2013, 03:15 PM)CostaBelViso Wrote: Now what exactly is blade buffing?

Buffing

173 23,553
 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 03:34 PM)Johnny Wrote:

Buffing

Good Ol Shaving 101! I figured that's what it was. Thanks Johnny!

9 81
 09-10-2013, 07:08 PM
User Info

Here is a visual aid:

75 20,883
 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
Thanx for the video Celestino! Some good tips, I did try buffing last night and and it did help on the neck and other troubled spots. Got a little irritation but i think next time ill pay a little more attention. I used my OSS w/ Bulldog handle as its a mild razor, getting a weber sent in tomorrow so i'll try that one next. I'm looking forward to it, I see a lot of people love their Webers Smile

9 81
 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(09-10-2013, 07:08 PM)celestino Wrote:

Here is a visual aid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU
Great video! The more I learn the more I realize I don't know how to shave Biggrin

1 239
 09-12-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
I get nothing out of WTG passes. My passes are XTG/ATG and I get great shaves.

9 1,199
 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
I can't remember the last time I didn't do a little buffing. Beyond that, if it works for you... .

2 546
 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 10:21 AM)CostaBelViso Wrote: Thanx for the video Celestino! Some good tips, I did try buffing last night and and it did help on the neck and other troubled spots. Got a little irritation but i think next time ill pay a little more attention. I used my OSS w/ Bulldog handle as its a mild razor, getting a weber sent in tomorrow so i'll try that one next. I'm looking forward to it, I see a lot of people love their Webers Smile

* You may have just used a bit too much pressure. Good luck with the Weber as they are very good razors. Which one are you getting? Is it the PH version?

75 20,883
 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
User Info
(09-12-2013, 05:07 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 10:21 AM)CostaBelViso Wrote: Thanx for the video Celestino! Some good tips, I did try buffing last night and and it did help on the neck and other troubled spots. Got a little irritation but i think next time ill pay a little more attention. I used my OSS w/ Bulldog handle as its a mild razor, getting a weber sent in tomorrow so i'll try that one next. I'm looking forward to it, I see a lot of people love their Webers Smile

* You may have just used a bit too much pressure. Good luck with the Weber as they are very good razors. Which one are you getting? Is it the PH version?
Not sure which one, got it off the bay, guy said it was new, seemed like a reputable seller. The finish on the bottom of base and top plate seems to be wearing off after I cleaned and disinfected it in alcohol and scrubbing bubbles.

[Image: yhumured.jpg]
[Image: damu9u4a.jpg]
[Image: epegyqa6.jpg]

Anyone know which Omega brush that is? My brother brought it back from Italy. It wasn't much, maybe 8-10 euro.

9 81
 09-13-2013, 04:40 AM
User Info
You could always try it! After all, I'd like to think that we are all drawn to "this thing of ours" because we think outside the box and outside of Gillette's cartridge world.

However, I think you'll find that you won't get as close a shave as with say a Fusion or some multi-blade contraption, no matter how many passes, because the physics don't allow it. Cartridges are designed to make multiple passes (i.e. each blade of a Fusion) almost simultaneously. This causes the subsequent blade to cut the hair before it "reacts" to the first cut. For me, it would invariably lead to ingrown hairs or irritation.

DE shaving on the other hand is about reduction. It won't get as close (but also will lower the risk of the type of irritation that carts cause when you get your technique down right). Also, I believe that DE blades are thicker and stronger than the cart blades and therefore I've found that the DE shave "lasts" longer than a cart.

I usually shave WTG/XTG/ATG, but I've been cutting down to just WTG/ATG and getting a reasonable facsimile of the three pass shave.

72 1,407
 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM
User Info
It looks like a polished head Weber. I think it's a great shaver. Not sure why the finish would be coming off.

106 348
 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
User Info
(09-13-2013, 06:39 AM)schickter Wrote: It looks like a polished head Weber. I think it's a great shaver. Not sure why the finish would be coming off.

The weber is polished stainless steel and as such is not coated. Therefore I am not sure how the finish can be coming off unless it has either been coated, or isn't a genuine weber.

Does it have weber stamped into the baseplate?

0 15
 09-14-2013, 06:40 PM
User Info
Here are the pics of the bottom. You can see some wear.

[Image: 8aqa3e7y.jpg]
[Image: u8ajyrub.jpg]
[Image: pa4e2y4a.jpg]

Not sure if u can see this, but on the left of the straight bar, it looks as if its curved or bent down a bit. Can anyone confirm this as a faulty razor or is it supposed to be like that?

[Image: 3e9asu2y.jpg]

Tried it once so far and its a good razor. I feel its a little more aggressive than my EJ89 and little less than my iKon SB. Not sure what I want to do, I really want to try a Tradere SB or the Feather AS-D2. Might put this on BST to replace it for one of those.

9 81
 09-24-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
XTG for my first pass, then ATG, followed by XTG yields me BBS nearly every time

97 1,254