04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Classic Razor has just re-stocked their Cobra Classic and again another increase. Now its up to $169 from $165 . Several months ago it was $145 and the original starting price was $125

To me its taking advantage of us.

100 12,442
 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
Or maybe they're just passing on to the buyer an increase in their wholesale cost. It might be worth seeing what their answer would be if you asked them about it directly.

184 12,003
 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
Simply a matter of supply and demand. I've never been accused of having good taste but in my eyes there should be plenty of supply on that razor.

0 145
 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM
User Info
There's also been a huge recent increase in interest in these razors. After lying dormant for many months, it really has taken off on B&B and elsewhere ----- it's the new must-have razor.

Given the interest and the fact that it has the market cornered (absolutely no competition), they can pretty much keep increasing the price until the market lets them know when to stop.

Production costs may also have risen, of course, but I have a feeling that the increase is mostly due to the interest from buyers.

------------

A few years ago, there was a similar run on lather catchers. Prices for any lather catcher rose into the hundreds. Now the craze has died down and LC's are selling for reasonable amounts again.

Of course, LC's are not current production razors, but there were a lot of them available at the time. Still, the prices were pretty high, and the market was able to bear it.

-----------

I keep hoping that someone else will come up with a safety razor that can handle the Feather AC blades. Not so much because I think that will force Classic to drop the prices again, but also because I don't like the design of the Cobra Classic.

37 1,731
 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 08:29 AM)GearHead_1 Wrote: Simply a matter of supply and demand. I've never been accused of having good taste but in my eyes there should be plenty of supply on that razor.

Exactly and I agree, but typically when a business sees what someone is willing to pay they will continue to raise their price until sales begin to sputter.

Right now, people are jumping on them because a) they don't want to miss out again b) they are sure the price will be higher on the next batch.

Until another entrepreneur decides to compete, the only hybrid faux-injector will be the Cobra. I'm not saying that it's easy or inexpensive, but taking a Schick injector and widening the head to accept the Feather blade isn't rocket science. Of course a change in styling would be required so Schick doesn't sue you.

Even selling a modified head for an injector would offer competition and that's probably the easiest way to go. Contact mr. Mer and ask him his opinion.

The timing of the release of this batch of Cobras is perfect, since many people will be receiving the refunds of their last minute tax returns. Mine is do any day now, but sadly the much desired Cobra isn't on my list of items to buy.

9 451
 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 10:09 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Exactly and I agree, but typically when a business sees what someone is willing to pay they will continue to raise their price until sales begin to sputter.

When there is no competing product that is how a manufacturer determines what the market will bear. That's the demand in "supply and demand." In most cases it isn't a matter of seeing just how far you can push the consumer but rather finding a sweet spot. The sweet spot is where the most money is made without having to retool, warehouse, hire, threaten other carried lines or whatever the case may be. I know I'm making this sound like a bigger operation than it actually is. I'm sure they're not looking at building new warehouses to stock inventory.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to say. First of all this is not a knock on any specific vendor or their business, it is, simply what it is. I just made arrangements to acquire a Merkur Progress to Mergress conversion, thank you Phil and Eric. This, after waiting over 6 months trying to pick one up through normal channels as an Internet purchase from an exclusive vendor. I tried to get my name on an email list but was never able to get a response saying I was in line and to wait my turn. The vendor specifically stated on his site that he doesn't want phone calls regarding availability on this product. This limits the consumers options and in doing so makes the elusive product that much more desirable. Making a product desirable is good marketing. Ultimately my timing never allowed me to get one when these were in stock. In order to acquire this razor, I ended up becoming what in this case was the middle man in the supply chain by doing the footwork of the exclusive vendor.

The reason I use this example is because it's a situation with which many can identify. The thought comes to mind that this vendor could likely sell all of this product he could get his hands on. Then one has to ask themselves why more resources aren't directed to this product in order to sell more. In the end, I suspect this vendor has found his sweet spot. He's comfortable with the number he's selling at the price he charges. Somewhere there is a limiting factor in the equation and I wouldn't venture to guess what that might be. It's actually never a good idea to allow the supply to become the determining factor in setting the price for the demand. To do so would almost certainly drive the price down. The old adage of always leave them wanting more helps to insure that the seller maximizes his return on the product offered.

0 145
 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've not come across the Cobra Classic before.

Could somebody comment on how they rate in terms of aggressiveness and whether they are made of stainless steel?

32 638
 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:28 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I've not come across the Cobra Classic before.

Could somebody comment on how they rate in terms of aggressiveness and whether they are made of stainless steel?

The Cobra Classic is produced in the U.S. by Classic Shaving and is chrome plated not stainless steel. It is considered a single edge razor similar to an injector but uses the 2" wide Feather Pro blades or a Kai Captain Titan mild blade. It not aggressive but because both types of blades are very sharp gives smooth & close shaves.

100 12,442
 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:45 AM)slantman Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 11:28 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I've not come across the Cobra Classic before.

The Cobra Classic is produced in the U.S. by Classic Shaving and is chrome plated not stainless steel. It is considered a single edge razor similar to an injector but uses the 2" wide Feather Pro blades or a Kai Captain Titan mild blade. It not aggressive but because both types of blades are very sharp gives smooth & close shaves.

It really is a personal opinion as to whether it is aggressive or not. The Feather blades are very sharp and they can make it an aggressive razor if you are not used to them, but once they settle down, they are mild and comfortable giving a very nice shave.
i would also agree with Yohann. i wish someone else would produce something similar to it as the price increases just keep mounting, unfortunately.

75 20,883
 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:59 AM)celestino Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 11:45 AM)slantman Wrote:

It really is a personal opinion as to whether it is aggressive or not. The Feather blades are very sharp and they can make it an aggressive razor if you are not used to them, but once they settle down, they are mild and comfortable giving a very nice shave.
i would also agree with Yohann. i wish someone else would produce something similar to it as the price increases just keep mounting, unfortunately.
In stainless steel would be nice but it seems for now nobody is interested.
That is a shame because its a great shaver.

100 12,442
 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Thanks for answering my questions guys. Smile

It seems a bit of a steep price to pay for a non-stainless steel razor though.

32 638
 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
If you desire a Cobra and are unhappy with the price, don't forget about the market on the forums. I put out a want to buy notice, and within 48 hours had a seller.

If people continue to buy the razor at the higher price, then Classic Shaving is absolutely doing the right thing for business. I, for one, would have bought one at $169 if I hadn't found a used one from a forum member.

43 1,690
 04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I just missed out on the old price by one day. Even before that I've tried a WTB many times but no luck. So I ordered one now that they are back in stock.

It's not so much for the recent interest in the razor that I want one but I really like shaving with my Feather razors and since the cobra uses the same blades I'm pretty sure I will like it. Should arrive in a few days.

27 1,296
 04-23-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info
In my case, I had been wanting one, but waited too long and they were sold out, even at the higher price. As soon as they came back in stock, I bought one, and am happy I did. If it turns out not to be one of my favorites, I can easily pass it along to someone else on the forums. Prices are rising on everything else too, right?

24 1,151
 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Gary, make sure you give both the Feathers and the Kai blades a try before reaching a verdict on the Cobra.

The more I shave with this razor, the more I love it. It is such an easy, comfortable shaver.

43 1,690
 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
User Info
I'll do that Andrew. The Feather Pros came with it, and I got a box of Kais that just came in today.

24 1,151
 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I, fortunately, have had great shaves with both. So for me it's just a cost issue, and the Feathers can be had for $13 from some vendors. I haven't found the Kai's that cheap yet.

43 1,690
 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
it's really a nice razor.. smooth and sharp, i don't know where it got the rep for being aggressive... i thought mine was gonna get a lot of use, but it see's less and less as I move toward straights..

1 48
 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(04-23-2012, 11:34 AM)global_dev Wrote: it's really a nice razor.. smooth and sharp, i don't know where it got the rep for being aggressive... i thought mine was gonna get a lot of use, but it see's less and less as I move toward straights..

That's pretty much the reason I don't use the CC. It's really nice, but I use straights most of the time.

I actually think an E or G type Schick injector is pretty much as good (as long as you use the Chinese Schick blades), and those razors and blades are cheaper.

Now, I understand people liking the CC - it just wasn't cost effective for me, as I rarely use it consistently enough to get the maximum number of shaves from each blade.

37 1,731
 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Great. Just when I thought I've tried pretty much everything. Going to have to give the Cobra a whirl at some point in the near future.

53 555