09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I just received the Maggard M13 chrome plated razor from Maggard Razors which in this case tries to replicate the Edwin Jagger DE89 as far as the handle looks are concerned. The handle is slightly longer at 3.75" and total weight a hefty 3.2 oz. This is a pretty nice razor for $15.95 + shipping from Michigan. I took it for a test run using a Personna Hospital blade. The blade does not aligned properly you must keep the top and bottom plate loose and align by adjusting the end ears. Once this trick is accomplished the shave is very nice. Slightly more aggressive then an EJ. Maggard now has a nice variety of razors including a gold model. The plating is not bad at all and the handle is brass and chrome. The head is the usual zinc and chrome plating.

Attached Files Image(s)

100 12,448
 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
Looks like a fine razor and a very good price to boot! I hope you enjoy the rest of the shaves. Smile

75 20,883
 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Are they making their own safety razors?

Or are they rebranding some other companies razors?

Do you know if all of the heads are the same?

They have an interesting website ...

Here is some of their info on their razors.

We are excited to introduce our new Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors! This traditional double edge safety razor is ideal for the beginner. A brass tubular handle has been chrome plated and will never rust. The heads of these razors are chrome plated cast zinc alloy. These razors shave very similar to Edwin Jagger razors, at a fraction of the price.

Some of the surfaces, such as the internal surfaces of the holes in the base plate may have some finish problems or spots that have some minor cavities from the casting process (less polished than more expensive brands)- but these imperfections do not affect the shave at all. All exterior surfaces are smooth and the price simply cannot be beat.

We have visually inspected every single razor for manufacturing flaws. You won’t find any bubbled up plating or overly rough edges on your new razor. The heads thread smoothly, and on the 6 razors we tested, each one was consistent in shaving from both sides of the blade. These 3-piece heads hold the blades evenly, and tightly. The aggressiveness of these razors is slightly more than a Gillette “Tech”, about on par with a Gillete Superspeed. They are, IMO, the sweet spot in terms of aggressiveness for a beginner to try a DE razor.

1 819
 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(09-11-2013, 06:34 AM)Grumpy Wrote: Are they making their own safety razors?

Or are they rebranding some other companies razors?

Do you know if all of the heads are the same?

They have an interesting website ...

Here is some of their info on their razors.

We are excited to introduce our new Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors! This traditional double edge safety razor is ideal for the beginner. A brass tubular handle has been chrome plated and will never rust. The heads of these razors are chrome plated cast zinc alloy. These razors shave very similar to Edwin Jagger razors, at a fraction of the price.

Some of the surfaces, such as the internal surfaces of the holes in the base plate may have some finish problems or spots that have some minor cavities from the casting process (less polished than more expensive brands)- but these imperfections do not affect the shave at all. All exterior surfaces are smooth and the price simply cannot be beat.

We have visually inspected every single razor for manufacturing flaws. You won’t find any bubbled up plating or overly rough edges on your new razor. The heads thread smoothly, and on the 6 razors we tested, each one was consistent in shaving from both sides of the blade. These 3-piece heads hold the blades evenly, and tightly. The aggressiveness of these razors is slightly more than a Gillette “Tech”, about on par with a Gillete Superspeed. They are, IMO, the sweet spot in terms of aggressiveness for a beginner to try a DE razor.

They are not re-branded. According to the owner they are not Cadets with their own label. The heads are all the same which IMHO are slightly more aggressive then EJs. My razor head however
needs adjustment each time I drop a blade in but has presented no problems.

100 12,448
 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
User Info
Yes, No relation to Cadets.

5 273
 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM
User Info
Very nice DE's but no Open Comb ?
Why ?

Shok

0 353
 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Cost more to produce and do not sell as well....not every company wants to capture the entire market...."keep it small...keep it under control"...and besides they are just starting up...give them time.

6 1,913
 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Very interesting inexpensive razors! Looks like they have a Merkur lookalike and EJ lookalike. There are worse DE heads to imitate. As for alignment, I can say that all bullet style DE heads have an issue with possible misalignment. It's just part of the design. Some are tighter than others, bet every DE with bullet style blade alignment mechanism is prone to this. Try it with your 34C or EJ DE89. They all do it to a greater or lesser degree. Same goes for vintage razors. The razors that have much less of an issue with alignment are the style that has a center bar. Super speeds, New, New Deluxe. Those register the blade much better. I always check the blade alignment on bullet style heads and I almost always have to correct it. I have not tried this Maggard, but I bet it's no worse than most others. Great value for under $20.

This is the kind of thing that can spark a more mainstream adoption. $16 razor that works well and looks good is a good thing to have.

25 1,705
 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I changed handles this morning using a Weber Bulldog. This makes a big difference as far as grip,balance and weight is concerned. The shave was outstanding. This razor is more aggressive then I first thought but not even close to extreme.

100 12,448
 09-12-2013, 06:47 AM
User Info
It's the new golden era of traditional shving indeed! Nice to see a new fresh offering at good prices.

The design is a bit Confused to me. Not to sure if I like the obvious design characteristics borrowed from other, well known razors.

0 641
 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-12-2013, 06:47 AM)wimbouman Wrote: It's the new golden era of traditional shving indeed! Nice to see a new fresh offering at good prices.

The design is a bit Confused to me. Not to sure if I like the obvious design characteristics borrowed from other, well known razors.

Well, for $16 there is really not much room for engineering and design. You just go with something that is known to work well. Imitation is the best compliment to the original. I doubt that for $16 you will get anything close to EJ finish quality, but Merkur, they can stand a bit of competition from the cheap side of life. Merkur's safety bar razors look like $16 units, especially when compared to EJ of similar or lesser cost. Of course, they all shave great and that's where the beauty lies. Someone who will never jump into DE shaving because of the price tag can get an excellent startup kit using one of these Maggards and some well known brushes and cremes for under $50. I wish I knew about these when I spent close to three times that on an EJ DE89 kit. I hardly even use the EJ anymore and I wish I spent my money more wisely on a beginner kit. Cadet/RazoRock is another great choice, BTW. Also can get an inexpensive kit with one of those. Nothing wrong with that and the fact that they copy the well known brands, well, that's free market for you. There is room for lesser finish/same shave quality for cheaper in the market, so let's have it!

25 1,705