09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
User Info
I ask this question because I have a few different boars in a break-in process currently, and am a little puzzled. I hear mythical tales of how the tips soften up to the point where they sometimes beat out even silvertip for softness, but my experiences have been otherwise.

I have an Omega 31064, to use an example, which I have had for a little over 7 months now and lather every other day (palm lathers mostly), and still whenever I bring that sucker to my face I feel like I am getting scratched up. I have awful camera skills, or I would post closeups of the tips, but they are 90%+ split into at least two (many 3 and 4), save for a few of those thick, darker bristles which have shown zero interest in breaking.

I also have an SOC about 4 months into break-in, and while it is certainly a bit softer than the 31064 at this point, I get similar scratch. It is probably 70%-80% split tips at this point, but is noticably softer than the Omega.

I have a few others which are newer to the breakin (1305, IB LE, WSP Boar) which are interesting so far, but need a long way to go.

So I suppose it's worth asking, especially in the case of the Omega that has already had so much use and time to break in, at what point should I consider that my skin is too sensitive for boar? I have a Thater 2-band, and I've used WD Silvertips before, and none of these boars look like they are even remotely close to that degree of softness!

14 229
 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM
User Info
The first time you shave if its a Semogue SOC.

If its a 5 or 10 dollar Omega,,... Oh,,... About 957 shaves should have that sucker broken in pretty good. Smile

1 622
 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Do you soak your boars before using them. I have around 40 boar brushes and everyone of them is soft and have been since new.

I soak my boars half way up the hair in warm water for about 10-20 minutes before I start to lather with them. I have never had one feel stiff, scratchy, etc.

All extremely soft, no matter who made it or how much it cost.

173 23,553
 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have a couple of boar brushes and they don't feel stiff as a board or scratchy.

They do have a little bit of a backbone and they are soft.

But, I too soak for 10 to 15 min.

1 819
 09-10-2013, 06:51 PM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 05:10 PM)Johnny Wrote: Do you soak your boars before using them. I have around 40 boar brushes and everyone of them is soft and have been since new.

I soak my boars half way up the hair in warm water for about 10-20 minutes before I start to lather with them. I have never had one feel stiff, scratchy, etc.

All extremely soft, no matter who made it or how much it cost.

I soak for usually about 20 minutes right up to the handle. When using them, it really feels like there are just a stubborn few bristles causing the scratchiness, and realistically I can only use very gentle paint-brush strokes, which even so cause some discomfort.

To be fair, I have extremely soft and sensitive skin, so maybe I just have a low tolerance?

14 229
 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 06:51 PM)explodyii Wrote: To be fair, I have extremely soft and sensitive skin, so maybe I just have a low tolerance?

* This is what I eventually surmised and stopped using boars, unfortunately, as badger brushes are much more expensive! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I do not have extremely soft and sensitive skin and I have a High Tollerance to Pain ... so I am Lucky.

So for me a Boar Brush has a little more backbone and a Badger is just very soft.

But, when it comes to Blades ... it is very difficult for me to tell what Blade is the Best Blade because I can't really tell any difference between most of them.

One Blade might last longer than another but, I do not really notice if one is smoother or not.

That is the downside to not being sensitive.

1 819
 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 07:01 PM)celestino Wrote: * This is what I eventually surmised and stopped using boars, unfortunately, as badger brushes are much more expensive! Biggrin

Yeah... Thus far I've tried 2 badgers, a WD that shed a little (which irritated me enough to give a little anxiety every shave) and a Thater, which is amazing. A pity I just have enough OCD to get in the way of enjoying the Whipped Dog, everything was awesome otherwise, and it was at teh boar price point...

14 229
 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM
User Info
What a shame! It sounds like you're simply not compatible with boar brushes. 7 months old, tips split and still not soft enough... by now they should be and probably have been for quite some time.

Sorry, but I need to ask. Are you only using the outer tip 1/3 or less of the brush?

32 6,311
 09-11-2013, 04:08 AM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 09:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Sorry, but I need to ask. Are you only using the outer tip 1/3 or less of the brush?

A little bit puzzled what this means. As in, do I mash the boar into my face so that the bristles "splay" a lot (more than 1/3)? If so, no. I usually don't get much splay anymore. It just irritated my skin too much to use that much pressure, but at one point I was trying to do tight, controlled splay almost into the dyed section of my 31064.

I'm really hoping there's something magical I am just missing, as I love the concept of boar (breaks in over time, grows on you, one day you go to another brush you thought was better, and realize the boar has beat it out at last).

14 229
 09-11-2013, 04:36 AM
User Info
You might try synthetic brushes, they're softer than anything else available.

My tapatalk-fu is strong.

6 327
 09-11-2013, 05:14 AM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 04:36 AM)Jabberwock Wrote: You might try synthetic brushes, they're softer than anything else available.

My tapatalk-fu is strong.

I have a BlackFibre which is plenty soft, I'm just trying to figure out the natural hair options since I prefer the way the hairs splay and move much much better. It's worth saying that I've tried horse as well (both the 50/50 and 35/65 mixes) and find them soft at the tips but prickly as heck if I do much more than gentle paint-brushing. That led me back to boars after seeing a number of posts comparing them to high-end silvertips once broken in.

14 229
 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
User Info
Sounds like you have given boars a solid try without the results you are looking for. I would stick to badger and synthetic, if I were you.

47 1,270
 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 04:08 AM)explodyii Wrote: A little bit puzzled what this means. As in, do I mash the boar into my face so that the bristles "splay" a lot (more than 1/3)? If so, no. I usually don't get much splay anymore. It just irritated my skin too much to use that much pressure, but at one point I was trying to do tight, controlled splay almost into the dyed section of my 31064.

I'm really hoping there's something magical I am just missing, as I love the concept of boar (breaks in over time, grows on you, one day you go to another brush you thought was better, and realize the boar has beat it out at last).

Yeah, you understood. Mashing into the face. I had to ask since that might cause the problem.

I'm back to thinking that the boars are just not compatible with your skin. That's a shame since you want them to work and in fact have tried for 7 months to make them work.

Along the lines of a synthetic the latest TGN synthetics are incredibly soft.

32 6,311
 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
The only boar brush to implicitly stay away from are the new Marvy Boars on ebay...they are trimmed and will never get very soft as the tips have been trimmed and likely won't split...I have lathered one for MONTHS and it still feels like wood shavings on my face.

You should try a WSP Boar...I'll buy it from you if it doesn't work out. At $15 shipped they are a great buy and work right out of the box no break-in period...

All the others, especially the Omega you mentioned were soft for me straightaway...I tend to give them a good initial washing with Dawn followed by a 20 minute soak in conditioner to de-funk and have always had favorable results with them upon first use...the ONLY brush I did not have to break-in was the Wet Shaving Products Boar which is a GREAT buy for someone wanting to try a Boar for the first time. It was soft as silk right out of the box and was the turning point for me in terms of badger vs boar brushes.

I still have one badger - M&F Blonde Badger Prototype from 2007 in 1/2 which will one day be my son's. It is a FINE brush, but I like boars better for the exfoliating and lather making ease.

If you get a hankering to sell them, let me know...I'm always looking to add new Boars into my drift (Also called a herd, Pog, and clutch).

Matt

68 1,417
 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
(09-12-2013, 12:09 PM)Crag Wrote: You should try a WSP Boar...I'll buy it from you if it doesn't work out. At $15 shipped they are a great buy and work right out of the box no break-in period...

I actually have a WSP boar, and you are right that it is the softest of the bunch. I've had it for a few weeks along side a 1305 and an IB LE, so it is still quite "young", but I see some potential there. It's still a touch scratchy, but hopefully it gets cozy for me, even dry it's decently soft.

I'll let you know on the boars though, I seriously am willing to soak and dry these things for a long, long time if there's a chance they might work out. It looks like the Omega might not, but I still have hope for the Semogues!

14 229
 09-16-2013, 12:07 AM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 04:36 AM)Jabberwock Wrote: You might try synthetic brushes, they're softer than anything else available.

Not all of them
If you are using Muhle black fibre then Yes.

0 353