09-11-2013, 09:38 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Is there a price point for a new razor design in stainless or some other effective metal which is your max? What I mean when will you lose interest and not consider purchase....Perhaps $100..$150...$200...$250 or above....I,m speaking of New not collectibles or one of a kind but current production....perhaps we could call it your Holy Grail...must have...really want or highly recommended Razor...maybe even brush or scuttle....when is enough ..enough!!!! What say you....Most expensive razor I have bought is the PILS...I have 2....Brush $200.00 and Scuttle $75.00 and after shave $100.00.

6 1,902
 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm looking for a PILS so whatever it cost is what I will pay. This would be my absolute upper limit for a razor.

Brush: $40.00 for a good boar

Soap: My maximum was $68.00 for some Santa Maria Novella, and I will not spend more. Usually buy Speick and Arko sticks and grate them as I do my MWF pucks.

After shaves: I set my limit at $50.00

Scuttle: $65.00 for the one I use.

173 23,294
 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Normally on industrial/semi-artisanal products I don't spend too money.
Soap not more than $15.
Brushes not more than $35.
At the moment just for the new Ikon Slant Head, I'll spend $100.
But it is almost ... one of a kind. Tongue

Other is about vintage razors ... Angel

0 1,093
 09-11-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
Soap - $20 for a 500 gram block of Klar Kabinett, but most of my soaps are under $6 a puck.
Brush - A few years ago I spent about $125 on a Chubby 2. Currently my most expensive is my SOC that I got from Bruno while on sale for under $30.
Razor - The most I have ever spent was $100 shipped for a New Improved on a UFO handle. My current most expensive razor in stock is my R41 from Connaught.
AfterShave - I spent $5 on a bottle of 4711 when it was on sale, but haven't used anything other than Superior 70 at $2.25 a bottle for a couple years.

My priorities have changed (buying a house) and I am not spending much of anything on shaving right now.

18 561
 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Razor: $100 for a full razor, not just heads. More than that is a ripoff IMO, no matter what material, machined, sintered...whatever.

Brush: $85, over that it's more about luxury and bragging rights than actual lathering capabilities.

Soap/Cream: $4 per ounce. There are just too many wonderful low to mid range soaps out there to spend $8+ per ounce.

Aftershave: $2 per ounce. Hell, most of mine are $1 or less per ounce, I guess my skin is tough or maybe it's my oily skin but I get wonderful results from cheap ol' alcohol splashes with no real healing/moisturizing ingredients.

Blades: 20 cents per blade..I've tried all of the higher end blades and none have really impressed me enough to keep buying them. My go to blades are Silver Blues (.17 each) and Astra SP (.08 each)

31 1,510
 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
I have bought the Pils, used, which was my most expensive purchase for a DE razor.
Some of the Kamisoris can be quite pricey as well as other western straights.
I couldn't go more than $175 for a DE.
I wouldn't even want to discuss straight razors and Kamisoris. Some of the scales are works of art, so......Blush

74 20,804
 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I really start to question a purchase once a DE razor hits the $200 mark...

However, I've paid more than that for LE TI straights and Simpson Manchurian Chubby 3 brushes. And a lot more than that on genuine Ivory HMW Plisson brushes.

91 17,620
 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
Hmm, I'm a cheapskate with razors. I use mostly vintage and have yet to spend over $40 for one. Most modern DE razors don't interest me and the few that do I have. The modern SE razors are injectors and they just don't do anything for me.

My most expensive brush was a used Chubby1, I think I paid $80 shipped for it. Most of my brushes are quite a bit less.

I don't mind paying for expensive soap if it's worth it. Probably the most expensive would be MdC.

I don't buy AS since I make it.

I haven't bought much new shave gear in the last year or so, the last brush was a Case from Phil maybe a year ago... scratch that... A Franks 30mm or whatever it is, synthetic. Maybe the Simpsons LE that's about to be released.

Like Dale my $ is going into other things these days. OK, I've also reached shave nirvana and it simply can't get any better so why spend $ to get the same fantastic shave that I already possess?

32 6,302
 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM
User Info
If a razor (or brush, or soap, or anything really) cost so much i'll have to pay VAT on import, I'll think twice before buying it. That magic point is 200 NOK (25€ / 21£ / 33$)... but cheap gear also gives great shaves Biggrin

3 3,445
 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 10:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: I'm looking for a PILS so whatever it cost is what I will pay. This would be my absolute upper limit for a razor.

Euro 190 I see.

Quite expensive!

0 637
 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Razor: $150 (Feather AS-D2). I am happy enough with the Feather. It would have to be something special/different for me to pay more than that for a new razor. I guess I'll see when the Huntlee Kantana comes out.

Soap: $60 (Martin de Candre). I had to try it and I really enjoy the soap. I don't think I would spend that much again though.

Brush: $75 (Morris & Fondran). I'm not really a brush guy which begs the question of why I dropped $75 on a M&F brush. I do most of my buying off Selling & Trading so I figure why not try it out and sell it if I don't see the value in it.

Aftershave: $20 (Kramperts Frostbite). The only way I would need to spend more on ASB is if Brian started making the Frostbite in pints (or litres). Biggrin

106 347
 09-12-2013, 02:56 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
So far, my maxs have been $50 for a safety razor (brassy Barbasol floating head), and $75 for a vintage ERN straight. It's probably just a matter of time before these are busted (HuntLee SSI, TI, Hart Steel, etc).

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 4

4 173
 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
'Holy Grail' razor ... $250.

Beyond that price point, I would hesitate ... a little bit ... Confused

102 17,576
 09-12-2013, 05:45 PM
User Info
Razors are my weakness; I don't think I have a limit on a razor if I love it and want it.

3 315
 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM
User Info
I was thinking about how I always try to set arbitrary limits to restrain my spending, and I decided that I can't do it. Even if I say I'm going to spend <$100 on brushes, and <$25 on soaps, I still end up with $200 worth of stuff in the cart so my so called "limitations" are meaningless anyway.

For now, I've resolved not to spend any more money on anything shaving related until I finish something that isn't a sample. Then I have a bunch of <$30 soaps to try, so I guess that's my magic price point for now.

0 123