09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Has anyone ever used unrefined Shea Butter directly on their face? If yes, what are your thoughts? I'd use it as an after shave - thinned out in a hydrosol.

What is the shelf life?

Where could I buy some of it?

Thanks!

Matt

68 1,416
 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
There is an excellent existing thread that covers this topic in detail here

102 17,662
 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
User Info
Some just replied to one of my post to use it as an aftershave.

Marc

10 95
 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Matt, I use USB every evening before bed. I wash my face and then apply a pea sized amount. It nurtures the facial skin nicely and there's no oily residua in the morning.

I still use conventional AS balm immediately after shaving.

I buy mine from Shea Terra : here
The quality of their products is superb and consistent.

As for shelf life, I recall reading somewhere that it may lose its efficacy after 1 year ...
I typically go through a 4oz bottle within 6 months though.

102 17,662
 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I can't use it, even just a tiny pea sized amount leaves my face extremely greasy. I have very well hydrated skin though, with a slightly oily T-zone..I suppose it might be better if I had dry skin.

31 1,510
 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
User Info
Matt, as Ravi has pointed out the thread I started has a plethora of information. I have been using shea butter as a face moisturizer as well as a body moisturizer for approximately 12-14 years. I still believe it is the best moisturizer. I don't find it greasy at all. After 15-30 minutes, it gets very well absorbed into the skin and leaves your skin feeling wonderful.
Depending on which shea butter you get, try to get the unrefined version. I have had some of mine for 6-10 months at a time.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments...I have Rosaecea in my T-zone and have tried a plethora of different rememdies, but a new (holistic oriented) doctor I have has suggested USB for it and has said that the results are remarkeable. I'm hoping they are...

One question...is USB soluble in water or Alcohol? I'd like to make a tonic with it and use it by itself in my T-zone and as a milk for after shaving...I'm partial to the WM Neumann after-shaves, and like they way they make my skin feel throughout the day. This has alcohol in it...I wonder how USB would interact in that solution?

Any thoughts?

68 1,416
 09-20-2013, 03:25 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I got a pound of USB from a seller at my local Farmer's Market and have started using it & am really impressed...She also suggested I use an African Shea Butter Black Soap that she gets from Ghana so I've ordered a pound of that too. i got the Pound of USB for $17, and the Black soap for $15 for a pound. Pretty good prices compared to the websites in Celestino's post...

I recently made an AS Milk (Penhaligon's Racquets) concoction and used some Shea Oil she gave me to try along with some Mango Oil and have to say that my skin has never felt better. My rosascea is not gone, but it feels better...hard to explain...I like the scent of the shea butter, too...smoky, like a smoked gouda with those wafers grandma used to eat...comforting for sure!

My grandma used to make stuff like that all the time...she tried to show me, but I was young and stupid...maybe she'll visit me in a dream and teach me her herbalist tricks...Fingers crossed!

68 1,416