09-11-2013, 04:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I sometimes get emails/pm's asking me what brush will I recommend for a newbie/starter , or an all around brush , or the best badger brush out there or the synthetic , etc.

This is my list.Hope you can add yours so people can have a better clue (or confused them even more ! Biggrin )

Badger:

-My favorite badger brushes : WSP Stubby HMW or Rooney (Truefitt and Hill) 1/1 silvertip

-All rounder badger brush : Simpson Duke 3 best badger.

-Budget badger : Chinese from ebay , I guess.

Boar:

-All rounder boar brush : Semogue SOC / Proraso boar brush (made by Omega)

-My favorite boar brush : Semogue 1250/Italian Barber LE

-Budget boar : Omega (soooooo many models to choose from , but the 80267 is very nice and stylish)

Synthetic :

-My favorite synthetic : Muhle v 2.0 25 mm brush

-Budget synthetic : HJM Black Fibre

-All rounder : Muhle 23 mm V 2.0 brush

And my favorite of all is still the El Druida Michelle Olivewood 24 mm synthetic.

What would be your recommendations ?

86 7,123
 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Excellent list, Teiste.

I agree with all that you've already stated.

In terms of less expensive synthetics, I would add that I've been very pleased with the newer Frank Shaving synthetics.

102 17,661
 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
That's a great list! I have only one brush, so far that is. It's a B&B made by Omega that I like a lot. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a Semogue 1305 or the Italian Barber version. Once I'm thinking about signing up for the ltd Simpson that's in the works for my first badger. Thanks for your well thought out list!

0 47
 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
Too many to recommend! Where do you start?Blush

75 20,883
 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-11-2013, 07:55 PM)celestino Wrote: Too many to recommend! Where do you start?Blush

For the ones you can recommend Biggrin

86 7,123
 09-12-2013, 01:22 AM
User Info
Semogue 1305 & Duke 3 best badger .

0 135
 09-12-2013, 01:45 AM
User Info
-All rounder badger brush: Semogue SOC 2-band

-My favorite boar brush: Semogue 1800/ Omega #45

2 5,527
 09-12-2013, 04:06 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Cheap Omega 10275(5$),super soft,used five times,and Whipped Dog Silvertip(24$)used five times.
[Image: ibNRPVfl.jpg]

31 425
 09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
To the best all-round badger brush I'd add the Simpson Colonel in best. As for a boar brush, I think the Omega B&B Essential boar can't be beat

5 758
 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 04:34 PM)Teiste Wrote:
Badger:

-My favorite badger brushes : WSP Stubby HMW or Rooney (Truefitt and Hill) 1/1 silvertipWSP HMW two-band and Shavemac silvertip

-All rounder badger brush : Simpson Duke 3 best badger. Shavemac Finest

-Budget badger : Chinese from ebay , I guess.TGN Finest, Vintage Blades Finest

Boar:

-All rounder boar brush : Semogue SOC / Proraso boar brush (made by Omega) Hard to beat those two, Teiste!

-My favorite boar brush : Semogue 1250/Italian Barber LEOmega 22 and 27mm knots from TGN in custom or restored handle, Semogue 1800 and possibly soon-to-come BC limited edition Semogue Cerda

-Budget boar : Omega (soooooo many models to choose from , but the 80267 is very nice and stylish) Omega 40033...and great to travel with, too.

Synthetic :

-My favorite synthetic : Muhle v 2.0 25 mm brushYes!

-Budget synthetic : HJM Black Fibre Original HIS, TGN synthetic.

-All rounder : Muhle 23 mm V 2.0 brushI guess I would still put the 25mm.

And my favorite of all is still the El Druida Michelle Olivewood 24 mm synthetic.Mine are an Elite Razor Desert Ironwood handle with WSP HMW two-band or Rudy Vey big, black beehive with Omega 49 low-set knot.

What would be your recommendations ?

I find I am really favoring the following knots, which happen to be available separately, set in custom handles (Bob @ Elite Razor, Rudy Vey, Steve Osar11, and others I have not yet had the pleasure of working with) or restored handles:

Badger: WSP, Shavemac
Boar: Omega (TGN)
Synthetic: Gen4 (TGN or Muhle)

47 1,270
 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
I've developed into purely a badger user over the years .. Nothing wrong with boar, I just never find myself reaching for one.

My favorite badger??

1. Simpsons Colonel X2L in 2 band Super .. The Ehsan. The best brush I've ever used, although, not by much. This brush does everything well! If you ever get the chance, buy one!

2. Morris&Forndran Blonde Badger .. A Lee 7 in faux jade. 26mm fan shape. A comfortable handle with superb performance. Again, it handles anything thrown at it well.

3. And this may come as a surprise to some .. The New Forest #2201. The original brush in 2 band. Just a phenomenal brush, and in reality, the only brush I would ever need if push came to shove,

I favor hard soaps, so that could explain my choices to a degree, but I still use creams relatively often. But, to reiterate, these three perform all tasks with aplomb!

0 319
 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM
User Info
That New Forest is not a surprise to me in the least. I enjoyed mine, too.

47 1,270
 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(09-12-2013, 10:53 AM)kentclark Wrote: That New Forest is not a surprise to me in the least. I enjoyed mine, too.

Hear, hear. I have a Silvertip and a Tubby 2 and both are excellent brushes at an extraordinarily good price.

5 758
 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have found that i prefer Boar brushes so except for my M&F Prototype Blonde Badger that's all I have are boars. I shave with a boar brush twice a day!

My favorite Boar Brush is the WSP Boar or the OMEGA 10005.

Close 2nd are the OMEGA 40033 and OMEGA 10810

3rd are the OMEGA 81569 and the odd looking OMEGA 21713

4th in my list are some special boars I got from Johnny from the Vulfix London Series...they have longer lofts, but are still fine brushes...

Last are my Semogue 1470 and Semogue 830 & 630 - I'll probably trade or sell these last two.

I CANNOT STAND the Marvy boar brushes...these are trimmed and though I've used the HELL out of them they have never gotten soft...I still LOVE Boars, though! Piggy_214

In any case, all of these brushes have cost less MUCH than my M&F Blonde Badger Prototype which I still occasionally use. This brush hails from the days before Loric made his famous B&B post introducing M&F and Blonde Badgers to the shaving world. This brush will be my shaving heirloom to my son when he comes of shaving age...He knows it's his and LOVES to use it on Saturday Mornings (along with his Somerset Wee Scot) - one swipe of the M&F could lather his whole face and part of hist head, too lol. I'll probably leave him my Weber, too...2vikoro

68 1,416
 09-12-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
I'll play.

$75 Best intro to badger brusehs from a big name but on a budget...Simpson Colonel in Best. Great handle, bowl or face lathering and well built.

If you want a DIY brush, then the TSN Finest 2 band, 24/50 and stick it in whatever handle you want. You'll likely end up around $50-60 after all is said and done, but it's a fun project.

$120 Best Luxury Badger...Kent BK(L)8. Big, soft & luxurious. Some say floppy, I say pillowy soft. I regularly face lather mine with soaps and have no issues. Don't let the curvy handle fool you, it feels great in your hand and can do it all.

$150+ Rooney Super or 2 band. These brushes are tanks. Built solid, great flow, soft tips. What's not to love.

Boar - SOC can be had for $30 shipped when on sale, or regularly for $35 shipped if you look around. Great handle and an amazing knot when broken in. It's the only boar I reach for, which is not often as I mainly use Badgers.

8 2,718
 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I use brush in the last 25y.
Only Omega 10048.

Then, a doze of months ago, i found italian forum Ilrasoio.com and from there I learned a lot about wet-shaving, me, my skin and my preferences.

To a newbie, this is my experience:
BIG brush, one of the best is Omega 10048, is the first stage to understand how to lather in bowl. For face lathering maybe is easier use a smaller one. I love my little piggy 10077.
Boar is very easy and smooth, if you understand the preparation.
Otherwise is scratchy.
Then try a synthetic and a badger in finest. Economic and very pleasant.
If you find to prefer face lathering, don't forget horse loft.

Between the fews i own, my preferred as a total FLer:
Boar - Samogue 1305 Premium 90% 22x55mm
Badger - Frank Shaving Chubby Finest 2-band 26x51mm
Horse - Vie-Long 13061 Fan Shape 20x48mm

0 1,096
 09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
I only use badger and synthtic brushes - I do own one mixed boar and badger, a LE Semogue - that's the closest to a piggie brush I will ever get :>)

I also only face lather, so longer handled brushes is not part of my collection and will never be. With that said here's my recommendations:

Luxurious soft with some backbone - perfect for softer creams: Thäter 4125/3 28 mm knot size in bulb shape and 56 mm loft 2-Band Badger. Extremely soft & luxurious feeling brush. I also owned this in fan shaped, and it just had far too much splay and lacked the dense yet soft feel of the bulb shaped knot. Overall rating 9.5/10

Dense, huge & solid with lots of backbone, excellent for soaps: Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian in a hybrid shaped knot. You get tons and tons of density and really feel the density of the knot, this brush kills soaps. Not suited for people with very sensitive skin IMHO. Overall rating 9.5/10

Best bang for your buck badger brush. Among the softest brushes I have ever tried. Excellent backbone. Great flow through. Reasonable price. Vie Long Beehive 3-Band 'cut short' Silvertip bulb shaped 25 mm knot. Special Bullgoose shaving release.

The ultimate brush.
Luxurious feel, density like nothing else, great on both soaps and creams - could be the best brush in my collection: Morris & Forndran 2-band Genuine old stock Finest hair in a hybrid border lining fan shaped 30 mm knot. This brush has it all, some would argue too much of it all ;-) Ample amounts of backbone, soft at the tips, needs soaking though (if you want a very rough feel, don't soak this badger brush before use)
Good a both soaps and creams. Overall rating 10/10

The best synthetic brush in my collection: Mühle African Blackwood Silvertip Fibre v2.0 23 mm & Mühle Classic faux horn 25 mm Silvertip Fibre v2.0 25 mm (can't decide between these two, both are awesome and almost made me sell all of my badger brushes at one stage)

22 5,043
 09-13-2013, 02:27 PM
User Info
This.... Angel

[Image: iITsFIw.jpg]

31 1,554
 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM
User Info
[Image: aJMqyBS.jpg]

For me, the best budget badger without a doubt is anything with a TGN Finest, bulb or fan.

2 202
 09-14-2013, 12:53 AM
User Info
My recommendations would be (for now, of course):

Badger:

My favorite badger brushes : Simpson M7 in Manchurian badger
All rounder badger brush : Semogue 2010 Limited Edition Silvertip, but as that one is only seldom available I'll make that a Semogue SOC two band
Budget badger : New Forest 2201 Two Band

Boar:

My favorite boar brush : Semogue SOC
All rounder boar brush : Semogue SOC
Budget boar : Vero

Synthetic :

My favorite synthetic : Muhle Classic v 2.0 23 mm brush
All rounder : Muhle Classic v 2.0 23 mm brush
Budget synthetic : HJM Black Fibre, or 26 mm FS 'Samjax'

We seem to share some favorites Biggrin

0 641