09-11-2013, 07:54 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I have been wondering if these vintage 74's are really worth $5/blade? Do they compare to any current production blades or are they really that superior?

115 1,692
 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
Toby, that is very subjective. I have heard some great stories about each blade lasting at least one month! I have yet to try one, but I would be tempted. $5/blade is quite extreme, though!
Good luck and let us know how it goes if you do try them. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
They certainly haven't lasted me a month; for me they lasted 5-7 shaves, just like most blades.

The value of a particular blade is going to vary from person to person, as will the opinion about whether a blade is worth a certain price. Not only do blades perform differently in different razors and for different individuals, but people have a wide range of value systems by which they judge the "worth" of an item.

I almost exclusively use vintage blades because for me they seem to be significantly better than any modern blades. Among the vintage ones, for me the Personna 74s are excellent but not the best. The are very sharp and effective, but not really very smooth. For my face I would rate them as about equal to Schick Plus Platinums, which are just as effective, not quite as sharp but smoother. But better than both of those blades, for me, are Gillette "Swedes" and Wilkinson Light Brigades. Both of the latter are both smooth and sharp for me.

Just in terms of selling price, $5 per blade is quite high for Personna 74s. I've been able to get them on eBay for $2-3 per blade in lots of 25-50 blades. You just need to be patient and keep your eyes open for the right auctions.

184 12,002
 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
User Info
I just picked some up off eBay for around $1.75 per blade but haven't used one yet so I can't comment on the value. There have been several that have sold on eBay recently. Packs of 15 were going between $25-$30.

106 348
 09-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
For me they probably last 50% longer than other higher quality stainless blades.

I think they are the best blades ever made and I have a small stash of them. I'm not willing to pay exorbitant prices for them, but as was stated before, it depends what they are worth to the buyer.

- Murray

4 1,150
 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
When you start to get 30 shaves from one blade, can you please tell us how you did it.

As long as you are willing to pay 5.00 a Blade then it is worth it to you.

Personally, I would rather use a blade that is in current production.

There are several reasons for this ... 1) I want to buy in 100 lots, 2) I want consistency, 3) I want to have a small stock pile, 4) I don't want to look all around the internet for a blade, and 5) I don't want a blade to cost an arm and a leg.

Now ... I will pay a little extra for a Vintage Puck of Soap.

1 819
 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
I have used Personna 74 injector blades and DE blades and haven't found any difference in them and modern blades in how many shaves or smoothness of shave. I prefer the modern blades,, though.

21 1,474
 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Toby,

I think if you haven't tried Personna 74s, you ought to buy one pack just to do so. But don't pay $25 for that one pack.

My take on 74s: okay, but not worth getting again. They do not last any longer than my other favorite blades: 5-7 shaves. They are sharp, but for me are not as smooth as vintage Wilkinson Swords.

One thing I really prefer in vintage blades is that the blades are individually wrapped. Like vintage Wilkinsons. The Personna 74s and Schick Plus Platinums I have had came in the dispensers, with a stack of blades loaded. You slide one blade out at a time. One of my Personna 74 packs had "frozen" up, and I had to pry the dispenser open to separate the blades for use. This was a real pain and not worth the added expense. Vintage Wilks will not give you this problem.

But after all of this bit with vintage blades, I have found a current production blade that for me is equal to the best vintage blades I have used. I think finding your best current production blade is a worthy pursuit.

Andrew

43 1,690
 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
Andrew, I would have to agree with you as there are some excellent current-production blades being produced!
I also think the vintage Wilkinson Swords are fantastically smooth and sharp. Definitely, the best DE blade I have tried. I can get easily get 7-8 shaves and have gone as far as 10.

75 20,883
 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Hmm.....the most I can get from just about any blade is 3-4 shaves......except for Lord Cools, cheap Lord Cools....I get anywhere from 12 to 19 shaves from a Lord Cool. I know, I don't get it either.

5 2,006
 10-26-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
Personna makes wonderful and long lasting blades. The 74's do last quite a while for most people. I have a buddy who is on shave #19 and is still going. I picked up a pack to use and the first shave was sharp and a smooth. I will be pushing it for sure to see how far it will take me. On a side note, I decided to push a Personna Lab (my favorite blade) and I am on shave number 13 with that particular blade. Some of the smoothness has gone, but is still plenty smooth and sharp. No tugging or pulling whatsoever. I am convinced that guys who have to toss a blade after 3-4 shaves need to keep looking for that one blade that takes them much farther. I used to toss mine in three shaves just "because". Now I know just how long certain blades can really last. YMMV as always.

63 2,128
 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM
User Info
I tested a slew of vintage blades awhile back. I found that they were uniformly excellent compared to modern production which can vary widely as to sharpness and smoothness. Some modern blades being truly terrible. However, the best of the modern production were every bit as good as the vintage blades.

I was considering buying more vintage blades at the time, but my tests convinced me to stay with modern production for the quality vs expense; modern production being so much less expensive and every bit as good. You need to do your blade homework though to find those blades. That homework can be as simple as reading reviews. YMMV, especially with blades. (did I need to write YMMV?)

$5 per blade? One would be insane IMO. But at $50 per blade they'd be so much better. Someone will pay $5 for them I have no doubt. I'm reminded of a PT Barnum quotation...

32 6,309
 11-04-2013, 06:33 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I loaded one this morning into my Weber.

It was smooooth. How long it lasts is to be determined.

47 1,378
 11-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
In my search for Vintage blades, this looks like a great price on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Personna...1320274621

88 4,233
 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
User Info
Good luck, Steve, and let me know how they compare to the SIs! Smile

75 20,883
 11-05-2013, 12:45 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(11-04-2013, 06:35 PM)beartrap Wrote: In my search for Vintage blades, this looks like a great price on them:
Yes, I plan on picking up a unit or two if these that I have pan out.

5 2,006
 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
User Info
I own 4 Personna 74 DE and 4 or 5 Injectors. Not tried the DE yet just can't bring myself to use them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

1 35
 11-27-2013, 06:45 PM
User Info
(11-04-2013, 06:35 PM)beartrap Wrote: In my search for Vintage blades, this looks like a great price on them:

I bought one of these batches. I felt a bit foolish paying so much, but at least now I can quit looking for them. I'm thinking about starting off 2014 with one of these blades and seeing how far into the year I can go.

0 836
 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I've had one in my Fat Boy. I've been alternating with my other razors but so far after 9 shaves they're better than anything, and I mean anything new I've ever used. I have absolutely no sensation of anything but a surface sliding over my face and when I rinse the whiskers are gone. Funny but the closest to it is the vintage Super Blue I just used for the first time ever this morning. It( the Personna 74 ) has 10 shaves yet to go to tie the record for me but that particular blade was never as smooth.

5 2,006
 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Update: I've gotten 14 shaves on the blade. And I think there's a few more yet to go.

MaxP

47 1,378