01-05-2020, 02:31 PM
User Info
(01-05-2020, 02:02 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 01:34 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 09:50 AM)Shaun Wrote: ...
I’d post images but I am using my iPhone and I don’t think it is possible to upload images using this device.

Mouser (above) hit the nail on the head. He knew exactly which ones they are.

Here’s how you do that (I only use my iPhone/iPad on this site and post photos often) http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=51982

The ‘request desktop icon’ is not available.

I’ve updated the post with regard to safari updates: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid940969

36 1,975
 01-09-2020, 09:58 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-05-2020, 02:19 PM)Shaun Wrote: Here is what I have:

Eleven packs of these (marked at 89c, so very close to first release):
[Image: vg62YDx.jpg]
And also nine packs of these:
[Image: 3HFe88E.png]

Yes, the only thing earlier than the first ones in your picture are the intro single samples that came in unmarked plastic pack inside of which was a single blade wrapped in paper marked as Personna 74 sample.
I'll post a pic later.

8 2,732
 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-09-2020, 09:58 AM)Mouser Wrote: Yes, the only thing earlier than the first ones in your picture are the intro single samples that came in unmarked plastic pack inside of which was a single blade wrapped in paper marked as Personna 74 sample.
I'll post a pic later.

Any idea what the original pricing for packs were? I can catch glimpses of packs going for a bit less than 89c, but none of the images are clear.

0 2,217
 01-09-2020, 03:52 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(01-09-2020, 11:40 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 09:58 AM)Mouser Wrote: Yes, the only thing earlier than the first ones in your picture are the intro single samples that came in unmarked plastic pack inside of which was a single blade wrapped in paper marked as Personna 74 sample.
I'll post a pic later.

Any idea what the original pricing for packs were? I can catch glimpses of packs going for a bit less than 89c, but none of the images are clear.

I get vintage blades to use. They're all I use, so I have kept very few on their hang cards, for storing ease. I do remember a rare find of a dispenser of ten ( almost all of the original  edition were dispensers of five) that had $1.69(?) On the card.
But I seem to remember a few of the five dispensers with .79 cents on them? I can't remember for sure .

8 2,732
 01-09-2020, 04:00 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-09-2020, 03:52 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 11:40 AM)Shaun Wrote:
I'll post a pic later.

I get vintage blades to use. They're all I use, so I have kept very few on their hang cards, for storing ease. I do remember a rare find of a dispenser of ten ( almost all of the original  edition were dispensers of five) that had $1.69(?) On the card.
But I seem to remember a few of the five dispensers with .79 cents on them? I can't remember for sure .

Sometimes you can find old newspaper ads for them but I don’t subscribe to the site that provides access, so the thumbnails look blurry.

I guess I was just wondering what the original advertised price was when they were first released. It will come to light in time, I’m sure

0 2,217
 01-09-2020, 05:05 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Now that this has made me think on it I remember I didn't throw those old hang cards away after taking the dispensers out. I put them somewhere in my wife's closet, I'll have to check in there tomorrow,  or as I put it , I'll go in country and look for charlie.

8 2,732
 01-09-2020, 07:42 PM
User Info
Decided to give these a try but not sure if I got the genuine article or not. Bought these off the bay. Didn't come sealed but did come in the plastic 74 case.

Has anyone seen this variant?

.[Image: 6b42fb96c1cc80141ec3a22882680db8.jpg][Image: 06394fb57391e1c9ae6afa29a8ec9c25.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 118
 01-10-2020, 03:30 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(01-09-2020, 07:42 PM)lestorfreemon01 Wrote: Decided to give these a try but not sure if I got the genuine article or not. Bought these off the bay. Didn't come sealed but did come in the plastic 74 case.

.[Image: 6b42fb96c1cc80141ec3a22882680db8.jpg][Image: 06394fb57391e1c9ae6afa29a8ec9c25.jpg]

Yes. Based solely on what I see they're the real deal. The blades themselves were often unmarked except for the directional arrows.

8 2,732
 01-10-2020, 07:23 AM
User Info
(01-10-2020, 03:30 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 07:42 PM)lestorfreemon01 Wrote: Decided to give these a try but not sure if I got the genuine article or not. Bought these off the bay. Didn't come sealed but did come in the plastic 74 case.

Yes. Based solely on what I see they're the real deal. The blades themselves were often unmarked except for the directional arrows.

Thanks Mouser!

I've had one shave with them using the paradigm ti 2 and it was an extremely smooth shave, which is surprising as I’ve read many users comment that these blades usually take a couple of shaves to break in.

12 118
 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM
  • dominick
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(01-10-2020, 07:23 AM)lestorfreemon01 Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 03:30 AM)Mouser Wrote:

Thanks Mouser!

I've had one shave with them using the paradigm ti 2 and it was an extremely smooth shave, which is surprising as I’ve read many users comment that these blades usually take a couple of shaves to break in.  

I purchased the same blades recently from Ebay and confirm they are genuine. I'm on my 12th shave and they still are smooth and sharp.
Happy shaving and enjoy.
Dom

0 28
 01-19-2020, 11:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I received my 100 Personna 74s today! I opened a pack of the early Tungsten Steel, priced at 89c, and retrieved a blade by first heating the dispenser with a hairdryer. It came out pretty ok. I have loaded it into an Aristocrat  22, and will shave with it starting tomorrow morning.

The back of the pack us interesting, as it doesn’t say “NEW! From The American Safety Razor Company”, but “NOW...”.  See picture below and also details of the stock number items, should anyone be interested.
[Image: CRhNBqD.jpg][Image: 9clArI7.jpg][Image: pj8auAw.jpg]

0 2,217
 01-20-2020, 01:42 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Here's a pic of those intro offerings I mentioned earlier.  I've taken out of the sealed white plastic "envelope " they came in[Image: mwNpvZe.jpg]

8 2,732
 01-20-2020, 01:52 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
This thread got me interested in using them again so here's my plan. The intro ones pictured above I have less than ten of so I'll never use those but I have at least 50 and as many as over one hundred of every other variety that was offered so.., using my WWII era Gillette Fat Handle Tech I'm going through one of each different edition. I'm currently on shave three of the original  "Tungsten" to be followed in about a month with a "Tungsten Plus" and so on.
Almost forgot how good they are.

8 2,732
 01-20-2020, 02:15 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I shaved this morning with my first 74 ever (Tungsten Steel) and in all honesty I can say that it provided a very remarkably smooth and close shave indeed. Pretty amazing for a blade that may be 50 years old.

I will keep track on the number of shaves I get from this one blade, but I will not be stretching the friendship. I will be fair and honest in this assessment.

I may be some time getting back to this thread.... I hope!

0 2,217
 01-22-2020, 12:34 PM
User Info
(01-19-2020, 11:59 PM)Shaun Wrote: I received my 100 Personna 74s today! I opened a pack of the early Tungsten Steel, priced at 89c, and retrieved a blade by first heating the dispenser with a hairdryer. It came out pretty ok. I have loaded it into an Aristocrat  22, and will shave with it starting tomorrow morning.

The back of the pack us interesting, as it doesn’t say “NEW! From The American Safety Razor Company”, but “NOW...”.  See picture below and also details of the stock number items, should anyone be interested.
[Image: CRhNBqD.jpg][Image: 9clArI7.jpg][Image: pj8auAw.jpg]

WoW! 100...that’s FANTASTIC!! ENJOY!

Vr

Matt

35 2,196
 02-07-2020, 07:38 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Twenty one shaves. Beginning to notice a change in smoothness. Only just.

Calculation of cost per shave (if I stop at 21 shaves) I bought for $1.44US per blade, or $2.16 AUD. That includes import tax and postage. A good deal.

Divided by 21 is close to 7c US per shave, or 10c AUD

Compare to Astra Platinum, a good, solid performer: I can get 100 blades delivered for about $14AUD or $9.33US. I get 6 good shaves from an Astra. That works out 2.33c per shave AUD or 1.6c US per shave.

So, rounded down, Astra costs about a quarter per shave as a Personna 74.

Now, I got the Personnas cheap, and Astras are remarkably cheap, so these numbers apply to my situation only.

If I was wet shaving for purely financial savings, Astras are better value, BUT.... as Mouser points out: these Personna 74s provide a very smooth shave indeed. Really amazing. Perhaps I am fortunate to have such quality razors given they are around 50 years old!

Am I glad that I have the Personnas as part of my stash? Yes. Are they my favourite blade? Yes!

My second favourite blade? Gillette 7O’Clock (blue, not black, green or yellow). Smooth as, but 74s tip them.

I also like the Russian Sharp Stars.

0 2,217
 02-08-2020, 01:43 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(02-07-2020, 07:38 PM)Shaun Wrote: Twenty one shaves. Beginning to notice a change in smoothness. Only just.

Calculation of cost per shave (if I stop at 21 shaves) I bought for $1.44US per blade, or $2.16 AUD. That includes import tax and postage. A good deal.

Compare to Astra Platinum, a good, solid performer: I can get 100 blades delivered for about $14AUD or $9.33US. I get 6 good shaves from an Astra. That works out 2.33c per shave AUD or 1.6c US per shave.

Now, I got the Personnas cheap, and Astras are remarkably cheap, so these numbers apply to my situation only.

If I was wet shaving for purely financial savings, Astras are better value, BUT.... as Mouser points out: these Personna 74s provide a very smooth shave indeed. Really amazing. Perhaps I am fortunate to have such quality razors given they are around 50 years old!

Am I glad that I have the Personnas as part of my stash? Yes. Are they my favourite blade? Yes!

My second favourite blade? Gillette 7O’Clock (blue, not black, green or yellow). Smooth as, but 74s tip them.

That's one good thing about my "forced" retirement. I developed a strategy that's really just patience and low bidding to get my vintage blades at costs per shave at or below modern ones.  I actually began this to ward off an approaching more expensive brush disorder . For instance,  my last purchase of Personna 74s was a pack of twenty, NOS, for $11.99 or thereabouts including the shipping. It was an auction item and no one else was paying attention.  Some days later same seller had another lot of twenty on a "Buy Now" offering for $99. Went in a couple of days.

8 2,732
 02-18-2020, 12:39 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
A total of thirty shaves. I could probably force a few more out but that would be going a bit far. Quite smooth at thirty, but loss of sharpness means some slight stubble patches. The last two shaves were not the greatest, but pretty ok. So I would say 25-30 shaves is what you could reasonably expect from a good condition vintage 74. The one I used was the Tungsten Steel earliest type. I’ll use the slightly later version next time I use a 74 and compare.

0 2,217
 02-19-2020, 04:26 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(02-08-2020, 01:43 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:38 PM)Shaun Wrote: Twenty one shaves. Beginning to notice a change in smoothness. Only just.

That's one good thing about my "forced" retirement. I developed a strategy that's really just patience and low bidding to get my vintage blades at costs per shave at or below modern ones.  I actually began this to ward off an approaching more expensive brush disorder . For instance,  my last purchase of Personna 74s was a pack of twenty, NOS, for $11.99 or thereabouts including the shipping. It was an auction item and no one else was paying attention.  Some days later same seller had another lot of twenty on a "Buy Now" offering for $99. Went in a couple of days.

So I did a little ciphering, as Jethro would say, and on the purchase of twenty my cost per shave comes out to be .002 cents per shave. An unmatched cost for rarely matched shave ( see my other vintage selections  ). But this was a one off. The rest of my close to two hundred P74s ring in at just barely over a penny a shave. But it took a lot of time, patience and being outbid 8 or 9 times for every one I won. Worth it if you have the time.
The other blade that is the equal of the P74 in shave results but half the life, that's still 12 or 14, is much harder to find and once you do, much more expensive in that the sellers never take less than original offering price, and that elusive piece of steel is the Wilkinson Light Brigades.  In terms of accessibility the true Holy Grail.

8 2,732