09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
To the few out there who commit to buying something listed in the Selling and Trading section and then fail to pay, or even to follow up with any communication: STOP. It's very rude and thoughtless. If you are undecided or have any doubts at all about being willing or able to pay for the item, then DON'T SAY YOU'RE GOING TO BUY IT.

258 14,791
 09-12-2013, 08:42 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Happens to me all the time. PMed I will take it, I reply with my PayPal, changes his mind. I even stopped marking items as pending until I get funds.

88 4,233
 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Wow - I had no idea that this had become seemingly commonplace as I have not had a FS thread up for some time.

Not much to add here other than commiserating and reiterating the fact that it is just plain rude.

19 591
 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
I hope it wasn't me....oh right, I haven't bought anything all year, so I'm good.

Yes, very inconsiderate to do that to a seller.

8 2,718
 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with what John said. Here is the way I do it.

After someone send me a PM saying they want to buy an item from me I:

1. Reply back asking for their complete mailing address (they have 24-hours to respond).

2. Once they respond I reply back with my PayPal info and mark the item sales pending (they have 24-hours to pay).

If the above does not happen the item remains for sale. If a well known member wants to buy something from me and ask me to wait a few days until funds come in, I will take them at their word and mark the item sales pending. When the agreed to time has expired I will send one PM to see if they still want the item.

189 26,354
 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
User Info
OK, so my rant may or may not have been justified. A day after he said he wanted the item, the buyer sent me payment. Go back to sleep, everyone....

258 14,791
 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-12-2013, 11:03 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: OK, so my rant may or may not have been justified. A day after he said he wanted the item, the buyer sent me payment. Go back to sleep, everyone....

Biggrin Well, you're luckier than I was!

88 4,233
 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
No worries, John, as 24 hours seems to be a bit too long to communicate with someone unless there is some kind of emergency, in my opinion. Blush

93 21,373
 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will follow your instructions John. Arrow SleepSleepSleepSleep

189 26,354
 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(09-12-2013, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: I agree with what John said. Here is the way I do it.
1. Reply back asking for their complete mailing address (they have 24-hours to respond).

2. Once they respond I reply back with my PayPal info and mark the item sales pending (they have 24-hours to pay).

If the above does not happen the item remains for sale. If a well known member wants to buy something from me and ask me to wait a few days until funds come in, I will take them at their word and mark the item sales pending. When the agreed to time has expired I will send one PM to see if they still want the item.

Sorry Johnny, but I disagree with both points. Unless prior arrangements are made I am with John, 24 hours is far too long to wait for payment. If someone has the ability to send you a PM, they have the ability to log into PayPal as well.

Secondly, I never ask for the shipping address as I only ship to the verified PayPal address as it is the only way one can get any seller protection. Exceptions can be made, but I better have complete trust in the buyer before I do.

129 4,001
 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-13-2013, 10:09 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: I agree with what John said. Here is the way I do it.

Sorry Johnny, but I disagree with both points. Unless prior arrangements are made I am with John, 24 hours is far too long to wait for payment. If someone has the ability to send you a PM, they have the ability to log into PayPal as well.

Secondly, I never ask for the shipping address as I only ship to the verified PayPal address as it is the only way one can get any seller protection. Exceptions can be made, but I better have complete trust in the buyer before I do.

YMMV and all that.

189 26,354
 09-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
(09-12-2013, 12:27 PM)celestino Wrote: No worries, John, as 24 hours seems to be a bit too long to communicate with someone unless there is some kind of emergency, in my opinion. Blush

Unless he mentioned that he will not be able to pay until later in the day but is firmly committed to buying then I also agree that 24 hours is a long time to leave you hanging...

19 591
 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
I often am away from my pc for a day at a time. While I try to be prompt when buying and selling, I often don't hear back from the seller for a day or so as well. If plan on buying or selling something, but will not be back until the next morning, I put that in my email or my FS thread.

Please provide me with your paypal address. I will send payment in the morning (afternoon, whatever) when I am able to log back in.

A little communication is a common courtesy and goes a long way.

18 597
 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
Screwing about with someones auction in public instead of saving stupid comments that have nothing to do with YOU buying the item for a PM is also a problem.

Ask a reasonable question or stow it!

1 628
 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
It amazes me how we all have different time expectations regarding sales. If I don't receive a response and payment within an hour or two, I make plans to keep it up for sale and prefer not to sell to that individual. If you are really going to buy an item, that means the money is there too. Pay for it immediately, that is what I always do. I don't think I have ever sent a seller payment more than 30 min to an hour later unless we have already communicated about the expected delay already. There are no excuses imo.

71 2,243
 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(09-13-2013, 06:53 PM)cessnabird Wrote: It amazes me how we all have different time expectations regarding sales. If I don't receive a response and payment within an hour or two, I make plans to keep it up for sale and prefer not to sell to that individual. If you are really going to buy an item, that means the money is there too. Pay for it immediately, that is what I always do. I don't think I have ever sent a seller payment more than 30 min to an hour later unless we have already communicated about the expected delay already. There are no excuses imo.

I agree, Jeremy. BST purchases should be viewed no differently than other online purchases ... I often 'window shop' and place items in my 'cart', but if I know I want something I 'checkout' and pay immediately ... in order to avoid the possibility that the item is no longer there if I wait too long.

119 19,681
 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
I'm in this very same boat right now. I have offered to buy an item, but the seller has already received a PM offering to buy the item to which he gave his paypal address, and hasn't heard back from that potential buyer and now here I sit willing to fork over money to a seller who is stuck waiting 12 hours to hear back from the first "buyer".

Rather rude of people to not pay promptly when they obviously had access to a computer to send a PM in the first place.

This is a disservice to the seller and any other potential buyers.

129 4,001
 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
User Info
maybe it's time for people to look at using the BUY IT NOW from Paypal. But I wonder if there is a way to make it available to the "first person" and not accept multiple BIN payments.

[Image: btn_buynow_150wx70h.gif]

8 2,718
 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
I always pay within minutes of getting someone's paypal address. Either you want the item or not. I see no excuse, if you asked to buy and are confirmed the item is available and are given the seller's address, to not pay immediately.

21 1,948
 09-18-2013, 04:33 AM
User Info
How about the ones that actually purchase something, you go out of your way to package it well, and you never hear from them confirming receipt? I think that's rude. Is a simple "hey, received the items, everything looks great, thank you" really too much to expect these days?

1 131