09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
User Info
I've been using an EJ86 for a few months, it was my very first DE razor. I just couldn't get a good close shave from it; different blades didn't help and I was pretty sure my technique was good.

In fact, it would leave me with lots of razor burn and my face would feel raw unless I shaved after 4-5 days.

I recently acquired a Merkur 34HD and the first shave was an amazing success. A nice, close, BBS shave and no razor burn or irritation.

I was wondering; is it possible for these two razors to behave to differently for the same user? I know blades make a difference, but should there be such a huge difference between razors?

19 631
 09-13-2013, 04:30 AM
User Info
I've never used the EJ/Muhle, so I can't make a personal comparison, but I've always read that the EJ86 or any of the straight bar EJ/Muhle razors are on the mild side of the median. I've had a 34C and its definitely on the more aggressive side of the median.

Looking at B&B's blade gap comparison, the EJ had a larger blade gap than the 34C. It also had a heavier head size. However, the 34C is definitely heavier overall, and I think that makes the difference.

I definitely notice how much the overall weight can affect the closeness of the shave when I compared the 39C (i.e. the barber-pole slant) vs. the 37C (the HD slant). I felt the 37C to be very well balanced, where the 39C was too heavy and caused irritation and cuts.

72 1,407
 09-13-2013, 06:56 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
It might be the angle.

1 819
 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
I have both of these razors and I find they shave very similarly. However, it is possible you just may not get on with the EJ86/89 design.
I know this may be a silly question, but did you have the top and bottom plate of the EJ86 razor head set properly?
I just can't imagine you getting such pronounced results from both razors as they shave very similarly.

75 20,883
 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
  • hon
User Info
I also found both having similarly shave result and I'm able to get good shave from both razors.
To me the EJ shave smoother, 34C did give a closer shave feel but it also a little harsh too. Especially during the 2nd or 3rd passes.

0 38
 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
User Info
I'm pretty sure I had the plates set properly, the shaves were adequate, just not great. I could go over the same area and still hear the whiskers hitting the razor but the razor just wasn't cutting them. I didn't get any audio feedback from the razor at all.

I too would think that it's my angle; but I know at one point I got fed up and made sure that my angles were perfect. Still I couldn't get that sought after BBS; when I would apply my ASB I could still feel the prickles from missed spots.

Compare that to the 34HD and my ASB applications are painless/uneventful.

I was wondering if I could possibly have a bad EJ86? I inspected it and the blade gap looked even and the blade was in there tight.

Shaves with the 34HD are effortless and painless, when I go over an area again, I don't hear anything from the razor. When I run my fingers ATG, I feel nothing but soft skin.

19 631
 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-13-2013, 11:00 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I'm pretty sure I had the plates set properly, the shaves were adequate, just not great. I could go over the same area and still hear the whiskers hitting the razor but the razor just wasn't cutting them. I didn't get any audio feedback from the razor at all.

I too would think that it's my angle; but I know at one point I got fed up and made sure that my angles were perfect. Still I couldn't get that sought after BBS; when I would apply my ASB I could still feel the prickles from missed spots.

I was wondering if I could possibly have a bad EJ86? I inspected it and the blade gap looked even and the blade was in there tight.

Shaves with the 34HD are effortless and painless, when I go over an area again, I don't hear anything from the razor. When I run my fingers ATG, I feel nothing but soft skin.

Sometimes a certain razor just works better than a similar one because of grip, weight, balance, handle length, etc. If you have a chance try a good heavy stainless handle on that EJ. Turns it into a whole new razor. Also, don't be afraid of shimming either one. On shim will not make a huge difference, but enough to notice and it may be all you need with the EJ. It's possible for it to be flawed also. My experience and that of most others is that the 34C and DE8x shave very similarly. But your experience is yours and that's what really matters for you.

Glad you found a well working razor!

25 1,705
 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
User Info
(09-13-2013, 11:00 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I'm pretty sure I had the plates set properly, the shaves were adequate, just not great. I could go over the same area and still hear the whiskers hitting the razor but the razor just wasn't cutting them. I didn't get any audio feedback from the razor at all.

* Well, it seems you shouldn't really worry about the EJ86 if you are getting such great shaves with the Merkur 34C.
You may want to consider a Weber as they are identical to the Merkur heads, but in stainless steel.
Enjoy your shaves! Smile

75 20,883
 09-13-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
(09-13-2013, 03:00 PM)celestino Wrote:

* Well, it seems you shouldn't really worry about the EJ86 if you are getting such great shaves with the Merkur 34C.
You may want to consider a Weber as they are identical to the Merkur heads, but in stainless steel.
Enjoy your shaves! Smile

Thanks! I plan to purchase a Weber in the near future Smile

19 631
 09-13-2013, 07:13 PM
  • hon
User Info
You can try shim your EJ for a more aggressive shave and see what the differences comparing to 34c after shim.

0 38