09-13-2013, 01:54 PM
User Info
One of the misconceptions that I have learned since joining is that there are a whole bunch of people who try many things like soaps, razors and products like fragrances. I was under the misassumption that as we were taught for ladies skin care is that women in general, stay with their favorite skincare for life. And, funnily enough that women stay within one shade of lipstick their whole life. If you want to sell them a lipstick - match the one they are wearing.

So, I was wondering - if you change your soaps, toothpaste, brushes or fragrance are you also an early adopter.

In marketing, early adopters get the new phone, new computers, new versions of tech stuff and new versions of just about everything. So, if you like the newest stuff do you also like to try new things in shaving too? Or, do you limit change in one area - Einstein Lightbulb thought of new things and wore the same suit forever (I paraphrase). Which are you? Does it correlate over one area or everything? and of course, why? Smile

And if you know why the gifs didn't work, I appreciate the help - lol Smile

0 135
 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't know why they did not work for you. I edited out the links and just clicked on the icon/gif and there they are.

173 23,538
 09-13-2013, 03:18 PM
User Info
I guess I have been at this for a few years now and am very comfortable with what I have and don't stray to much from my favourite items. I don't really try anything new as much as I used to when I first started. Now, I only try new scents of my favourite soaps or if I think of a new brush handle design or material, I may get another custom one made and attach a knot to it. I guess I must be getting predictable with age, or just enjoying what works for me! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
In general I try to let a product hit the market for a year before getting on board. There are always bugs to be worked out. Initial lust doesn't last and if the product doesn't hold up, you see many for sale on the secondary market.

I have been burned by it in the past with a new name brand shotgun I picked up for duck hunting. The thing had two separate catastrophic failures that required trips back to the factory for repair. If I didn't have a backup with me, both trips would have been wasted. I only had about 8k rounds through it after the second failure and repair when I decided that I wanted something less problematic. The gun I shoot now is about 30 years old and probably has about 150k through it. I bought it used from the previous owner that used it as a dedicated skeet gun for years. It still has lots of life left in it.

18 568
 09-13-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
I think there is a difference between male and females, besides the obvious one Biggrin

Men in general have a tendency to always search for the better thing. We want the newest model of the razor, kitchen knife, mobile phone, computer, car - whereas the females tend to just use what works, then settle with that (except for shoes of course Tongue )

The early adopters are usually males.

We have the geek/nerd gene - they don't Wink
This is also the reason why males tend to invent more stuff than females tend to IMHO

22 5,058
 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I am not an early adopter but, my wife is.

As for shaving items, I have been buying a variety of different products and now for some of them I am going to evaluate and eliminate.

Most of the products that I have bought were to determine which one was better and which ones I like.

For other things that I use, I tend to research and wait a while. If I don't need it or use it then, I don't get it. If it is the latest gizmo then, someone else can have it. I want whatever it is I get to work as intended and to work for long time.

1 819
 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm not an early adopter of anything; perhaps a fast follower. Hell, since I retired 6 years ago I haven't had a mobile phone; the day I retired I handed my mobile to my secretary and have never looked back; SWMBO, however, is not as happy as I am. When it comes to shaving products, I do like variety: I currently have 15 brushes, which I rotate regularly, but I only have 2 razors. My shaving cream is predominantly TOBS and The Body Shop,,but I do try others all the time. My aftershaves are very eclectic, but tend to be TOBS. When it comes to cars, I still prefer manual transmissions over automatics, not to mention CVTs. Furthermore, I prefer small cars over large ones and haven't bought an American 3 in nearly 30years. As for computers, I have an I-Pad, but I must say that I prefer a notebook.

5 759
 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
User Info
(09-13-2013, 02:09 PM)Johnny Wrote: Don't know why they did not work for you. I edited out the links and just clicked on the icon/gif and there they are.

Thanks!K

(09-13-2013, 09:21 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I think there is a difference between male and females, besides the obvious one Biggrin

Men in general have a tendency to always search for the better thing. We want the newest model of the razor, kitchen knife, mobile phone, computer, car - whereas the females tend to just use what works, then settle with that (except for shoes of course Tongue )

The early adopters are usually males.

We have the geek/nerd gene - they don't Wink
This is also the reason why males tend to invent more stuff than females tend to IMHO

Interesting, I've only known one early adopter woman. The newest electronic thingamajig and loving learning out how to use it. although I have known more women who view the newest thing as status symbols.

As a rash generalization, men seem to enjoy fixing, tweeking, doing maintenance on things like garden mowers to cars. Women want the thing to work. Make it work and forget about the fiddling. Like the expensive kitchen mixers they work until 20 yrs later and ya get a new one.

Myself, I am not even remotely early anything. lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I get a new phone when the old one dies.
Thanks y'all !

(09-17-2013, 04:27 PM)Rufus Wrote: I'm not an early adopter of anything; perhaps a fast follower. Hell, since I retired 6 years ago I haven't had a mobile phone; the day I retired I handed my mobile to my secretary and have never looked back; SWMBO, however, is not as happy as I am. When it comes to shaving products, I do like variety: I currently have 15 brushes, which I rotate regularly, but I only have 2 razors. My shaving cream is predominantly TOBS and The Body Shop,,but I do try others all the time. My aftershaves are very eclectic, but tend to be TOBS. When it comes to cars, I still prefer manual transmissions over automatics, not to mention CVTs. Furthermore, I prefer small cars over large ones and haven't bought an American 3 in nearly 30years. As for computers, I have an I-Pad, but I must say that I prefer a notebook.

what's a CVT? notebook PC over the I-pad? Cars are one of the most unfathomable things. I lived in NYC for a long time and didn't have a car so the maintenance, the registering, the yearly inspection not to mention the fluids, et al are absolutely beyond annoying for me. lol. Hate every minute - seriously do they check the fluids in the space shuttle? Probably, so a person who wants to get out the house "better go check the levels". There's got to be a way to stop the money and time drain that cars are. And new ones drop 30% of their value as you drive off the lot?! It's crazy. lol.

Now the intricacies of maintaining hair color and conditioning elements are always changing. I think it's the thing you pick to mess around with in the end.Blush

0 135
 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
(09-19-2013, 09:20 AM)Johnny Wrote: CVT

You want to drive a a giant band saw? She said waiting for your blood pressure to rise up and the sputtering to start.

Thanks, never thought about the wonders of transmissions.Smile
xK

0 135
 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I just re-read my post and I have to confess that I' m not a fast follower let alone an early adopter...I'm a bleeding Luddite.Biggrin

(09-17-2013, 04:27 PM)Rufus Wrote: I'm not an early adopter of anything; perhaps a fast follower. Hell, since I retired 6 years ago I haven't had a mobile phone; the day I retired I handed my mobile to my secretary and have never looked back; SWMBO, however, is not as happy as I am. When it comes to shaving products, I do like variety: I currently have 15 brushes, which I rotate regularly, but I only have 2 razors. My shaving cream is predominantly TOBS and The Body Shop,,but I do try others all the time. My aftershaves are very eclectic, but tend to be TOBS. When it comes to cars, I still prefer manual transmissions over automatics, not to mention CVTs. Furthermore, I prefer small cars over large ones and haven't bought an American 3 in nearly 30years. As for computers, I have an I-Pad, but I must say that I prefer a notebook.

5 759