09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I recently ordered from the Sample Shop and they threw in a sample of this shaving cream. Before I go further I need to plead ignorance as to the proper way to use this product (as there were no special instructions), so keep that in mind.

I opened the little plastic jar which holds a ¼ of an ounce to find a light white cream about the consistency of canned whipped cream. Normally, a ¼ ounce sample is enough for 4 or more 3 pass shaves, depending on the product. To try a sample cream, I take an almond sized amount of cream from the jar and either face or bowl lather. Assuming this cream was meant to be used in the standard way, I put some on my dry brush and started to face lather my damp (not wet, damp) face.

A very thin layer of soap was spread over my face and I could not get it to lather at all. I took some more and all I got was a thicker coating of soap that would not lather. At this point I emptied the jar and spread it over my face and shaved.

The soap was barley adequate for a very mild razor ('76 Gillette SS). No cushion, almost no lubrication, it was one step up from shaving with water alone. The scent was neither memorable nor a problem but I didn't spend much time considering it because of the difficulty of the shave.

Now, it is possible that the cream is not meant to be used with a brush but simply applied to the face and I made a big mistake. If this is so, then I would say the size of the regular container must be huge, because you will need quite a bit of it for each shave. In my attempt to lather the soap, I added small amounts of water (a few drops a couple of times) which thinned it too much. That's when I took what was left and just spread it over my face.

In summary, I personally think this product is a very poor shave soap. There are canned shave creams that would easily out perform it. In fact, it is so bad it makes me feel like I must have done something very stupid to ruin it, but I am not sure what that was.

16 542
 09-13-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
The site only offers a basic description for using the cream but it seems odd that it mentions to keep wetting your face in order to get a better glide. Thats not the norm for a regular shave cream.

http://www.billyjealousy.com/categories/...pped-cream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

0 123
 09-14-2013, 09:40 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Maybe what they sent you was some After-Shave Balm.Biggrin

1 819
 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM
User Info
I've received a sample when I ordered from Men's Direct. I bowl lathered, and it worked quite well for me. I like the scent and menthol, too.
Curious if they did send a different product.

6 229
 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Billy J is not a Shave Cream as we know it...it is more like a brushless creme...Think Cremo Creme, and you will understand what I mean. These have polymers in them that are activated by H2O, and help cushion the blade from your skin. These are not meant to be applied with a brush...they are slathered upon the face and razed off with your blade. Then plain water is applied to made the skin slick again for the next pass...they are deactivated by soap...

While I do not like brushless creams, they do have their niche, and quite a following! Lucky Tiger is probably one of the MOST recognized brushless creams in the world, and with over 300 million sold it must be doing something right....I've used the LT tonic and love it, never the brushless cream, though...The original Shave in a Bottle...

68 1,416
 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
This year I had the same situation about two shaving cream ... not mentionated brushless:
Una Salvia 4 by Opus Ruri
Seifenglatt Citrus Bomb.
Normally I don't like brushless ... but I'm changing my mind!!
Today shave gala on the SOTD, was really enjoyable. Tongue

0 1,096
 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Thanks for all the replies. I knew I was missing something here. I will say ¼ oz. is not enough for a test. The most I would have gotten is one pass even using it as a brushless lather. Anyway, it's nice they have a market for this type to cream but I don't see myself joining it very soon. Wink

16 542
 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(09-16-2013, 04:18 PM)matloffm Wrote: Thanks for all the replies. I knew I was missing something here. I will say ¼ oz. is not enough for a test. The most I would have gotten is one pass even using it as a brushless lather. Anyway, it's nice they have a market for this type to cream but I don't see myself joining it very soon. Wink

I agree! I tried some Cremo Cream a while back for backpacking, but it just took too much water to get a nice shave, and when you are backpacking water is precious, so I abandoned it. I've tried Lucky Tiger, and also Billy J, but they both use too much water, too. With a 10oz bottle of water I can shave 5 days with DR Harris Marlborough shave stick and a boar brush. 2oz is about all I need for a nice shave...I can rinse with stream water...lol

I also tried Shave Secret and was pleasantly surprised...just a few drops of water after applying it to my face and three passes later I was BBS, but it takes away the enjoyment of the lather, nice scent and shaving overall...in a pinch it would do, but I'll stick to my DR Harris when backpacking...

68 1,416
 09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
This is interesting because I expected it to whip up into a nice lather with a brush. The name seems a bit silly to me now lol. I figured it was worth a shot because I have been impressed with the other BJ products I've used in the past. The Hydroplane is a really nice brushless cream I don't see why they need to make a second.

45 3,955