09-14-2013, 04:04 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Let me preface by saying Mr Sabini is very cordial and quite nice. And I do like his product. i was wondering if anyone had a similar experience in buying his or her brush. mine was a total fiasco. I ordered a 3 band from Lee in late june- he told me it would take 2 weeks. A month later he told me he had started it. Two months later he told me the epoxy needed another week to dry (each coorespondance took multiple attempts to reach him). The third time, 11 weeks out, he was in france for a week with his kids but he would send something extra for the delay and would be shipping as soon as he returned. Ten days after he returned he replied finally and agreed to refund my money- but would still be shipping the special simething for my wasted time. Guess what....he never shipped it. My brother in law's wedding is long since past. I found him a nice Visconti fountain pen instead.
Mr Sabini was very nice throughout the ordeal. The problem is that I found he does not do what he says he will do...time and time again. In the end after I asked for an explanation of why after over three months he had done nothing he said it was part of the artisan process.
I have a second hand MF brush and I do like it. But it is not so nice as to be worth that kind of nonsense.

7 325
 09-14-2013, 05:14 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I just went through a very similar ordeal over 3 1/2 months with Bernd Blos at Shavemac. 1st brush returned as it was not what I ordered, lost in Customs---
2nd brush not as ordered so I just gave up, chaulking it up as a $193 lesson.
Pretty disgusting really.
I know everybody else has had a positive experience---bla, bla, bla.

ps: Bernd Blos was nice too...........

36 420
 09-14-2013, 05:14 AM
User Info
I had a similar experience, although not as bad as you did (and I did ultimately get my brush).

I love his brushes, would have ordered another if not for his poor communication.

Shavemac and Elite Razor now get my business as they both are excellent with communication and shipping times.

56 1,282
 09-14-2013, 06:00 AM
User Info
Yep, I had a similar experience regarding his poor follow through, but fortunately for me he did (eventually) get me my brush.

My M&F Experience

I won't be doing business with him again due to his inability to do what he says and very inconsistent knots (some have soft tips while others don't; mine didn't when I was needing it to).

(09-14-2013, 05:14 AM)david1201 Wrote: I had a similar experience, although not as bad as you did (and I did ultimately get my brush).

I love his brushes, would have ordered another if not for his poor communication.

Shavemac and Elite Razor now get my business as they both are excellent with communication and shipping times.

Yes, Elite Razor is my brush artisan of choice along with WSP knots. With this combo I KNOW that I will get a brush I love and will get it when I'm told.

31 8,065
 09-14-2013, 06:24 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Dealing with the quirks and eccentricities of individual artisans is often compensated for by the quality of the products that they offer. I can understand why folks are not willing to exhibit the patience and tolerance that is sometimes required, especially when quality items are much more readily available through other avenues.

119 19,681
 09-14-2013, 07:28 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-14-2013, 06:24 AM)Agravic Wrote: Dealing with the quirks and eccentricities of individual artisans is often compensated for by the quality of the products that they offer. I can understand why folks are not willing to exhibit the patience and tolerance that is sometimes required, especially when quality items are much more readily available through other avenues.

Indeed, artists/artisans work on their own schedule and while some are prompt, many are not. I have found that when there is an artist with extreme talent it is usually well known and they are quickly backlogged with more work than they can handle. Patience is the only medicine to cope with the frustration of passing deadlines and while it isn't "fair" to make false promises it is more often than not the way things are. On a side note Lee had several personal situations that sidetracked his ability to work this Summer. In the end though, if you are patient enough, you will receive one of the finest brushes money can buy.

160 2,902
 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM
User Info
I'm sorry, the issue isn't about patience and tolerance, but about his failure to follow through on his own commitments, or at the very least to inform the customer promptly when he cannot follow through on those commitments.

56 1,282
 09-14-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info
^^^ This ^^^

31 8,065
 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
The problem I see in this is we all know that Lee at M&F is hard to work with. In Csd3's case it meant multiple lies. That just cannot be acceptable.

12 770
 09-14-2013, 09:46 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Sometimes people don't want to disappoint so they say what you want to hear.

That of course leads to customer frustration.

Whether that is the case or not ... we may never know.

Then it boils down to whether you want to put up with the unacceptable customer disservice.

1 819
 09-14-2013, 12:18 PM
User Info
These stories have convinced me these brushes should only be bought used. Not all artisans are difficult to work with, I have multiple purchases with Rudy Vey and Whipped Dog. The reply promptly, and do what they say.

While I am sure the other artisans are good people and make wonderful brushes I prefer a timely, reliable shopping experimece. For those with more patience than I, you have my respect.

27 236
 09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm in the middle of a brush order myself with Mr. Sabini. He's an artist, it's going to be a one of a kind, distractions are going to happen and I'd rather he deal with those first and not work on my brush at the same time. It's not like I don't have other brushes to use and I know 6 months, a year from now, all of that won't matter, what will matter is that the brush I want, done the way he, the artist wants to do it, will be in my den.
Respect and patience.

9 2,917
 09-14-2013, 01:34 PM
User Info
My experience was almost identical to the OP at around the same time frame. Lee was always very friendly when he did reply to my emails. I finally received my brush about a week ago and I loved it. Would I order from him again? Maybe. The whole experience was a bit off putting but I really do love my brush.

2 102
 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I agree. If it werent so pricey I would have been patient and tolerant for 6 months or more. Even for the couple of hundred quid it cost, had I been told to relax that would have been fine. But I was told 2 weeks. And then told it was started. And then told it was simply drying. All the while I was excited to have it ready as a gift. That's where it chapped me. I'm the kind of guy that expects mutual respect. Thanks for all thoughts regarding. Cheers.

7 325
 09-14-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
more M&F's for me Biggrin

8 2,718
 09-14-2013, 04:09 PM
User Info
(09-14-2013, 03:50 PM)Bruce Wrote: more M&F's for me Biggrin

Not this year. Winky Well, you could probably go ahead and start the process now for a January '14 end of restraint brush.

31 8,065
 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
That is very unfortunate! It is challenging at times to deal with some artisans, but there are quite a few that are excellent!

93 21,373
 09-15-2013, 02:59 AM
User Info
I must echo the same sentiment's as members: Ravi & bLzrfn and the many people that have bought Morris & Forndran brushes. Not just members of this forum.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 09-16-2013, 04:00 AM
User Info
(09-14-2013, 04:04 AM)Csd3 Wrote: Let me preface by saying Mr Sabini is very cordial and quite nice. And I do like his product. i was wondering if anyone had a similar experience in buying his or her brush. mine was a total fiasco. I ordered a 3 band from Lee in late june- he told me it would take 2 weeks. A month later he told me he had started it. Two months later he told me the epoxy needed another week to dry (each coorespondance took multiple attempts to reach him). The third time, 11 weeks out, he was in france for a week with his kids but he would send something extra for the delay and would be shipping as soon as he returned. Ten days after he returned he replied finally and agreed to refund my money- but would still be shipping the special simething for my wasted time. Guess what....he never shipped it. My brother in law's wedding is long since past. I found him a nice Visconti fountain pen instead.
Mr Sabini was very nice throughout the ordeal. The problem is that I found he does not do what he says he will do...time and time again. In the end after I asked for an explanation of why after over three months he had done nothing he said it was part of the artisan process.
I have a second hand MF brush and I do like it. But it is not so nice as to be worth that kind of nonsense.

I had very similar experience with Lee Sabini, ordered two brushes 3.5 month ago
Lies after lies, than he stopped communicating
Now I’m out of brushes and money…

0 62
 09-20-2013, 05:57 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I am glad that I came across this thread. I had heard that Sabini was difficult to contact, but these stories make the experience out to potentially be a nightmare. I know I azm not cut out for that kind of transaction.

I am glad that I came across this thread. I had heard that Sabini was difficult to contact, but these stories make the experience out to potentially be a nightmare. I know I azm not cut out for that kind of transaction.

1 797