09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I know it sounds like an oxymoron but, stainless steel razors are often times not stain proof. If you leave a blade in the razor for an extended period (i.e. more than a day), there is a very good chance that rust stains will develop. I am not a metallurgist but, it is due to some sort of chemical reaction and impurities in the metal.

How do you prevent this from happening? It is a good idea to remove the blade and dry it completely after each use. Harvey shared a method where he coats the razor in a thin layer of sewing machine oil which also prevents the staining.

I am too lazy to remove a blade after each use and generally do get some minor rust stains. I am sure the salt air (I live close to the ocean) and my hard water is partly to blame. So...what do you do if your razor develops rust stains? Simply use some MAAS polish and a bit of elbow grease and the stains will disappear.

This has been a public service announcement. Cool

45 16,364
 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM
User Info
I'm using a vintage Razo Brite crock filled with alcohol. After shaving, I soak my razor while I clean up the sink, brush and bowl. Once I am finished applying my A/S, I remove my razor and shake it dry and hang it up. I don't touch the blade.

BTW Phil, when do you expect to get more PdP tube roller keys in stock?

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

2 229
 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-15-2013, 02:34 PM)Lakebound Wrote: I'm using a vintage Razo Brite crock filled with alcohol. After shaving, I soak my razor while I clean up the sink, brush and bowl. Once I am finished applying my A/S, I remove my razor and shake it dry and hang it up. I don't touch the blade.

Frank

I have to wait until I need a few more PDP items. I will probably place an order in 2 weeks or so.

45 16,364
 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
(09-15-2013, 02:36 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 02:34 PM)Lakebound Wrote: I'm using a vintage Razo Brite crock filled with alcohol. After shaving, I soak my razor while I clean up the sink, brush and bowl. Once I am finished applying my A/S, I remove my razor and shake it dry and hang it up. I don't touch the blade.

Frank

I have to wait until I need a few more PDP items. I will probably place an order in 2 weeks or so.

Thanks Phil. Got a hankerin for some Proraso Blue and some TOBS shaving shop. I want to place one order.

Feank

2 229
 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
User Info
(09-15-2013, 02:28 PM)bullgoose Wrote: So...what do you do if your razor develops rust stains? Simply use some MAAS polish and a bit of elbow grease and the stains will disappear.

My only concern would be that if you let this happen often enough the razor could develop pitting.

185 12,010
 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for clarifying this issue, Phil.

I noticed this for the first time recently ... after I left my blade in my iKon slant for 2 days. Now, I remove the blade after each use, and rinse/dry the razor head completely.

102 17,672
 09-15-2013, 03:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-15-2013, 02:50 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 02:28 PM)bullgoose Wrote: So...what do you do if your razor develops rust stains? Simply use some MAAS polish and a bit of elbow grease and the stains will disappear.

My only concern would be that if you let this happen often enough the razor could develop pitting.

True although I would imagine that it would take many many polishings. The sewing machine oil may be my best bet and then the MAAS can be if I happen to forget.

45 16,364
 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The reason I use sewing maching oil...the Good stuff..is because it does not smell,flows easily,can be applied with a lightly oil soaked Q-tip and it is colorless....you can get this at a good sewing machine store...Q-tips are excellent to spread,polish and dry the nooks and hard to access areas.I go through a lot of Q-tips....the brand I use is SEW-RITE Precision machine Oil...Kleer-Est...USA made and about $6.00 for 4 oz.....Gun oil and others oils smell and are not colorless....costs a bit more but well worth it.(this is made by Tacony Corp Fenton,MO itemSR269Z)

6 1,913
 09-15-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
Could you use this stuff too? super lube oiling pen

It's a lube but it's particularly slippery

19 631
 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Two things ...

1) Bar Keeper's Friend

If I had a stainless steel razor with rust I would clean it with a stainless steel cleaner like Bar Keeper's Friend. It is not very abrasive and works very well. I use it on my stainless steel pots and pans.

2) Alcohol

After I am done shaving, I loosen the head a little, rinse the head off under the hot water and then dip it in a small jar of Alcohol.

I will let the Alcohol displace the water and then let the Alcohol dry.

1 819
 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
any oil you like would work...mind you I only apply the oil after the razor is cleaned and dried...I don,t mind spending the time because value the razors as works of art and maintenance is part of the experience...(for Me)...most oils smell badly and the scent lingers that,s why I use this stuff....you don,t need much so one bottle could last for years....

6 1,913
 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM
User Info
I never thought I would be one of "those guys" who disassembled his razors after use, patted dry the blade and razor and then reassembled...but I do so regularly, and I enjoy it. No rust problems here.

47 1,270
 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I rinse and pat dry all my razors after each use, stainless or not. Never had any rust problems so far. I actually enjoy cleaning and maintaining the razors as part of the shaving ritual Smile

10 486
 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
(09-15-2013, 04:34 PM)kentclark Wrote: I never thought I would be one of "those guys" who disassembled his razors after use, patted dry the blade and razor and then reassembled...but I do so regularly, and I enjoy it. No rust problems here.

(09-15-2013, 04:57 PM)Fab Wrote: I rinse and pat dry all my razors after each use, stainless or not. Never had any rust problems so far. I actually enjoy cleaning and maintaining the razors as part of the shaving ritual Smile

+1

* I know this may be silly, but 1-2 minutes to do this just seems so simple, then this issue would never materialize and you would save your wonderful gear. View them as a valuable gift that you have and cherish, or is it just me who thinks this way. Biggrin

75 20,884
 09-15-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
(09-15-2013, 02:28 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I know it sounds like an oxymoron but, stainless steel razors are often times not stain proof. If you leave a blade in the razor for an extended period (i.e. more than a day), there is a very good chance that rust stains will develop. I am not a metallurgist but, it is due to some sort of chemical reaction and impurities in the metal.

How do you prevent this from happening? It is a good idea to remove the blade and dry it completely after each use. Harvey shared a method where he coats the razor in a thin layer of sewing machine oil which also prevents the staining.

I am too lazy to remove a blade after each use and generally do get some minor rust stains. I am sure the salt air (I live close to the ocean) and my hard water is partly to blame. So...what do you do if your razor develops rust stains? Simply use some MAAS polish and a bit of elbow grease and the stains will disappear.

This has been a public service announcement. Cool

Thank u, i did not know this.

0 606
 09-15-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
Thanks for the PSA. I would have expected it from a stainless steel razor. Good to know what to use in case it does happen as well.

106 348
 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Very important information, thanks Thumbsup

31 425
 09-16-2013, 04:55 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(09-15-2013, 05:26 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 04:34 PM)kentclark Wrote: I never thought I would be one of "those guys" who disassembled his razors after use, patted dry the blade and razor and then reassembled...but I do so regularly, and I enjoy it. No rust problems here.

(09-15-2013, 04:57 PM)Fab Wrote: I rinse and pat dry all my razors after each use, stainless or not. Never had any rust problems so far. I actually enjoy cleaning and maintaining the razors as part of the shaving ritual Smile

+1

* I know this may be silly, but 1-2 minutes to do this just seems so simple, then this issue would never materialize and you would save your wonderful gear. View them as a valuable gift that you have and cherish, or is it just me who thinks this way. Biggrin

+2 on all of these comments. As Celestino points out, it takes moments yet saves a ton of headaches. As an example, my 1966 blue Lady Gillette razor was purchased on eBay for a very reasonable price several years ago. When it arrived, it definitely needed to be scrubbed and polished. However, once I did that the razor looked brand new. It has remained in my rotation and I have never had to do more than that minute or so of cleaning and drying. (I use an old toothbrush.) My blade is rinsed, patted dry, and placed in my razor of choice for the next day's shave and I have no issues with staining at all.

To Phil and Harvey, thanks for the great suggestions for those who choose not to go through a daily cleaning (or simply don't have the time). It all adds to our shaving knowledge. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-16-2013, 05:11 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I remove the blade after every single use and store blade and disassembled razor separately for drying between uses. No need for oils and no staining. It doesn't impact on time (as it only takes 30 seconds) and it ensures both the razor and blade are clean for the next shave.

91 17,884
 09-16-2013, 05:20 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

For years I have disassembled the razor after the shave, rinsed and dried the parts before re-assembling and returning it to the rack. I have rinsed and dried the blade and re-packed it in the paper wrapping until the next use. Stainless or not makes no difference. Might as well be safe. Every DE razor receives the same treatment, the old Gillettes as well the current production razors.

I treat the stainless and carbon steel straight razors the same. Nothing comes apart, of course, but I rinse and dry the blades, give them a quick stropping to further clean and dry them, and then coat them lightly in a mixture of mineral oil and alcohol (5 parts oil and 1 alcohol). No rusting in my neighborhood.

132 2,614