09-15-2013, 06:14 PM
User Info
Hey guys,

I've been experimenting trying to compare some of the best DE razors out there. I currently own:
  • EJ89 Barley
  • Gillette Tech
  • ATT Titan "R"
  • ATT Atlas "M"
  • iKon Set (SB,OC,OSS)
  • Weber Stainless Polished Head

So my next razor, I'm really interested in the Tradere SB and the Feather AS-D2. I read up on the Stainless Shootout, but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried either of these razors that could provide some insight. Out of the razors I have, I really enjoy using the EJ89, ATT Atlas "M", iKon OSS & SB, and I just got the Weber which seems to be a smooth shaver but I only used it twice. Another question I had is, is the OSS similar to the Feather?

Of the razors I have, which razor should I try next?
Looking forward to your responses Biggrin

- Co

9 81
 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You allready have a mild razor the TECH so I would hold off on the Feather. I would get a IKON Slant head to go with your IKON set and/or a MERKUR Progress....you could stop then and just obsess on soaps,bowls and brushes.Oh yah...after shaves and blades.etc,etc,etc.....

6 1,913
 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
User Info
I tried the Feather and found it too mild.

0 606
 09-15-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
So you think the Feather is very similar to the Tech? It's a thin, ball ended handle with a ball at then end. Not sure if I want to try a slant just yet. I am going to be unloading a few of the razors I have to purchase others. But I see where you are going with it.

(09-15-2013, 07:30 PM)alex2363 Wrote: I tried the Feather and found it too mild.

How mild? Could you compare it to something? I appreciate it. Do you still have your Titan R1 by the way, sorry to get off topic, I've been having mixed feelings about its performance after trying the Atlas with the M plate

9 81
 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
I would reiterate what Harvey said about the Merkur Progress. It is a great option for an adjustable.

Personally, I just couldn't get on with the Tradere SB or OC (1st and 2nd gen). I found them to be a tad aggressive. I haven't tried the AS-D2, but the AS-D1 was the mildest razor I have ever tried. It was easily 2X milder than a Tech. It is beautifully made, but for coarse and thick beards, it is a challenge to use. I have heard many good things about the AS-D2 version, but I don't foresee me ever trying one.
Good luck with your decision, but it seems like you have a fine collection and you don't need another razor. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-15-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
I'm new and am still working on my technique so I'm not sure how much help this will be but I own the following on your list:

Feather AS-D2
iKon SB and OC
EJ DE89BL
Weber Polished Head

For me the Feather is a razor that I could use every day and not have any irritation. I feel completely confident when using it and it's always easy to find the right blade angle. I like it quite a bit for the all the above reasons but it's not the closest shaver I own. The trade off is no irritation.

I haven't spent enough time using the iKon SB or OC but they weren't nearly as smooth for me as the Feather. I've tried several different blades but I'm sure it's my technique. Harder for me to find the proper angle.

I haven't used my EJ in a while but I prefer the Feather to it because it's a smoother shaver for me.

I like the polished Weber a lot. It is intuitive for me and easy to find the right blade angle. I am confident with it and the shave reminds me of the Feather. I would say the Feather is smoother and the Weber more aggressive.

Out of those listed I like the Feather and Weber the best.

106 348
 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
The AS-D2 is milder then the weber and EJ (mildest razor I ever tried, but very effective non the less). The Tradere SB is more aggressive then the Weber and EJ, people either hate or love it, the blade stays flat in this razor and requires getting used to, it takes a week or two to get really excellent shaves with it but I really like it.

27 1,294
 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
User Info
@celestino: My RAD kicked in as soon as I had my first DE shave with the EJ89, and of course reading the many shaving forums. I also hear great things about the AS-D2, I also seem to enjoy using the milder of my razors, the most aggressive one I have is definitely the ATT R plate. I'm really trying to hold on to it and keep going to it, trying different blades, different ways going about prepping and shaving. Its such a beautiful razor, and first stainless (2nd razor) I bought. I probably haven't perfected my technique yet, I only been using a DE since the beginning of this past summer, but it has been my newest hobby that Im addicted to, day in and out lol. I am definitely interested in the stainless razors out there. I don't know, decisions, decisions, decisions... I'm sure an adjustable will be something I'll look into eventually. How aggressive did you feel the Tradere SB to be?

@schickter : I'm in the same league as you. And I appreciate you chiming in. So far I feel the same way as the Weber, even though I've only used it a couple of times but I definitely see its potential. I'm 28, Italian background, decent beard, my shadow shows even after a clean, smooth shave. I wouldnt rate it as a heavy beard but probably middle of the road, not hyper-sensitive but probably average. I try to get as close a shave as possible so I usually shave XTG/ATG, depending how many days I've gone w/out shaving, even though I try to stay as clean-cut as possible. I guess the cure is to get both, and then decide.. but thats to easy, and not always smart lol

Appreciate the responses guys Smile

9 81
 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Stay with razor which you have,they are one of the best.

31 425
 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
(09-16-2013, 09:22 AM)dcc Wrote: Stay with razor which you have,they are one of the best.

I have expensive hobbies lol. How do the slants compare to straight bars or open combs.

9 81
 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
User Info
I love slants. They are very intuitive for me and easy to find the right blade angle. I have the Merkur 37C and 39C and the iKon slant. I would save for me they are very efficient. They shave close with no irritation. You can easily pick up a 37C of the BST for around $30-$35. If the funds are available I would definitely try a 37C.

106 348
 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
How about the ikon slant

9 81
 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
User Info
I haven't shaved with the iKon slant as much as the Merkur but it's a great razor as well. Obviously the quality and materials are better than the Merkur but it comes with a higher price tag. I find the iKon more audible than the Merkur. If money is not an issue then get both. Biggrin

106 348
 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
User Info
If its not much different than the Merkur, I might try the 37c to see if I like it. I guess it's a 34hd but a slant. My beard is not the heaviest, but medium. How is a slant on a day or two growth?

9 81
 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
User Info
Great. It is very efficient. What I like about the 37C is that I can shave my trouble areas (the side of my neck and under my chin) and it gets those areas close without irritating my skin. For me it's a no brainer for the money.

106 348
 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
Oh wow! I have the same trouble areas.... might have to pick up a 37c REAL soon. I appreciate the tipBiggrin

9 81
 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I want to scoop up a slant for my next razor, and am seriously

thinking the IKON Slant is the one for me...Is there a different

technique used with these? How about angle too, avg?, more

aggressive(lgr angle)...???

4 792