04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
OK, I admit it, I like Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere soap / AS lotion. And while I am willing to fork out the big bucks for the AS, the price of the soap is quite off putting.

I've heard some say that XXX is the exact same thing as AdP ...... what are others thoughts on this if you have tried both. I'd much rather pay $10 for XXX and pop the soap into the AdP bottle than fork out the $$ for the original.

129 6,685
 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
AdP performs better than XXX. A small dollop makes an amazing amount of lather. When I'm rich, I'm going to buy some.

116 3,804
 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
User Info
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Acqua di Parma no longer makes shaving soap; they just make shaving cream. I have their shaving cream, as well as RazoRock XXX soft soap, and to me they don't smell the same. I like both of them: they both lather well, smell great, and provide good cushion. The AdP to me feels a little richer, provides better glide, and doesn't dry on my face quickly the way the XXX does.

183 12,002
 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 06:08 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Acqua di Parma no longer makes shaving soap; they just make shaving cream. I have their shaving cream, as well as RazoRock XXX soft soap, and to me they don't smell the same. I like both of them: they both lather well, smell great, and provide good cushion. The AdP to me feels a little richer, provides better glide, and doesn't dry on my face quickly the way the XXX does.

The soap (croap really) is still made / sold. If it were to go away, I'd take out a loan and buy several of them. This and I Coloniali are by far my two favorite shave lines. Sadly not cheap items, but great scents and my face just feels awesome with them.

129 6,685
 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 06:36 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 06:08 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Acqua di Parma no longer makes shaving soap; they just make shaving cream. I have their shaving cream, as well as RazoRock XXX soft soap, and to me they don't smell the same. I like both of them: they both lather well, smell great, and provide good cushion. The AdP to me feels a little richer, provides better glide, and doesn't dry on my face quickly the way the XXX does.

The soap (croap really) is still made / sold. If it were to go away, I'd take out a loan and buy several of them. This and I Coloniali are by far my two favorite shave lines. Sadly not cheap items, but great scents and my face just feels awesome with them.

Would you point me toward a link to someplace that sells it? I can't find one, and I'd be interested in checking into buying some if it really is for sale.

(04-19-2012, 06:45 PM)brucered Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 06:42 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 06:36 PM)wingdo Wrote: The soap (croap really) is still made / sold. If it were to go away, I'd take out a loan and buy several of them. This and I Coloniali are by far my two favorite shave lines. Sadly not cheap items, but great scents and my face just feels awesome with them.

Would you point me toward a link to someplace that sells it? I can't find one, and I'd be interested in checking into buying some if it really is for sale.

isn't this it: AMAZON

No, that's the shaving cream, very soft and not at all like a soap.

183 12,002
 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 06:42 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 06:36 PM)wingdo Wrote:

(04-19-2012, 06:45 PM)brucered Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 06:42 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Would you point me toward a link to someplace that sells it? I can't find one, and I'd be interested in checking into buying some if it really is for sale.

isn't this it: AMAZON

No, that's the shaving cream, very soft and not at all like a soap.

Actually that is the croap. It is called "cream" but it has a similar consistency to Cella. THIS is the cream Amazon AdP Cream

129 6,685
 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have both,I have tested the several times and for me,are the same product,with slightly differences in the strengh of the scents,but again,the same product.

[Image: P1220590.jpg]

[Image: P1220589.jpg]

[Image: P1220595.jpg]

[Image: P1220596.jpg]

[Image: P1220594.jpg]

[Image: P1220597.jpg]

[Image: P1220598.jpg]

86 7,123
 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
I am in love w/ that Vie-Long handle!

marty

0 16
 04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Joseph the proprietor of Italian Barber stated pretty clearly on another forum that he was a BIG fan of ADP soap. I think I remember Phil saying as much as well.

He based XXX scent on ADP as I understand it. I have never used an ADP product so I can't say 100% that it mimics it. However I am completely sure he
hinted strongly he based XXX on ADP.

15 541
 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
The scents are similar. I can see how he based it off of AdP, and I think for the price he did a phenomenal job.

That being said, they are not the same. The AdP scent is much more...sophisticated and natural smelling. The AdP also performs better in every way IMHO

The XXX is a fantastic product, don't get me wrong. It's probably "worth" more than its price tag. But it is definitely not the same product.

9 541
 04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nick : I feel the other way around.I believe to be the same product,even when the ingredient list is not in the same order,but have the same ingredients but one.Also the scent its the same in both products,or I cant distinguish any differences (not even in the intensity) of each one. Saying that,Im not a scent/fragrance expert either and, for sure, I could miss some notes of the Acqua Di Parma scent.

86 7,123
 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 05:25 PM)wingdo Wrote: OK, I admit it, I like Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere soap / AS lotion. And while I am willing to fork out the big bucks for the AS, the price of the soap is quite off putting.

I've heard some say that XXX is the exact same thing as AdP ...... what are others thoughts on this if you have tried both. I'd much rather pay $10 for XXX and pop the soap into the AdP bottle than fork out the $$ for the original.

They're both OVERRATED. A lot of hype for both. I've tried both and they both weren't anything that I haven't experienced before. And yes, they are basically the same thing.

0 128
 04-19-2012, 11:45 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: Nick : I feel the other way around.I believe to be the same product,even when the ingredient list is not in the same order,but have the same ingredients but one.Also the scent its the same in both products,or I cant distinguish any differences (not even in the intensity) of each one. Saying that,Im not a scent/fragrance expert either and, for sure, I could miss some notes of the Acqua Di Parma scent.

Teiste, everyone has a different perception of smell, so I would highly suggest the OP to try the XXX. For the price, there's no reason not to as it really is a great soft soap. Joe hit a home run with this one

9 541
 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:45 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 11:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: Nick : I feel the other way around.I believe to be the same product,even when the ingredient list is not in the same order,but have the same ingredients but one.Also the scent its the same in both products,or I cant distinguish any differences (not even in the intensity) of each one. Saying that,Im not a scent/fragrance expert either and, for sure, I could miss some notes of the Acqua Di Parma scent.

Teiste, everyone has a different perception of smell, so I would highly suggest the OP to try the XXX. For the price, there's no reason not to as it really is a great soft soap. Joe hit a home run with this one

Yes Nick,Im totally agree with you about how we perceive things differently, and thanks for your inputs about these two shaving creams.
BTW,the Acqua Di Parma tube version has different ingredients and scent than the one in the tub.Actually it has lanolin on it.

86 7,123
 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:49 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-19-2012, 11:45 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:

Yes Nick,Im totally agree with you about how we perceive things differently, and thanks for your inputs about these two shaving creams.
BTW,the Acqua Di Parma tube version has different ingredients and scent than the one in the tub.Actually it has lanolin on it.

I didn't even know they produced the cream in a tube. Nor did I know they ever made a soap rather than a croap. Thats 2 new things I learned today Wink

9 541
 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 11:40 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: They're both OVERRATED. A lot of hype for both. I've tried both and they both weren't anything that I haven't experienced before. And yes, they are basically the same thing.

I and my skin beg to differ with you. I cannot speak for XXX, but AdP leaves my face feeling GREAT. Most products leave it feeling pretty good, but this and a couple select others leave a better feeling than the rest.

Is it overpriced? Yes IMO. Do I still buy it?? Getting ready to get tub 2, hence my question. I just wish I could buy the puck by itself.

(04-19-2012, 06:42 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: No, that's the shaving cream, very soft and not at all like a soap.

I think part of the problem is the way the Italians actually name their products. Cella's label states shave cream but it is still a puck. I Coloniali's label states shave cream it too is a puck.

It seems that a soap with cream like properties is just called a cream there (I could be mistaken), but I would list all three as a croap and not a cream. Yes, the puck is softer than MWF, but it certainly isn't something I could dip my fingers into a bowl of in its natural form and rub it on my face and shave like I could with something like AoS cream, or a tub of any of the T's creams.

129 6,685
 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM
User Info
Doug

I am a big fan of XXX, but have never tried the AdP. I will tell you that in another forum Joe at Italian Barber posted in the Vendor section that it's possible he could lose the manufacturer of RazoRock Shaving Cream Soap Line for Classic, Cacao, Fresco, and XXX in the near future. He stated that XXX was his number one seller and that this would hurt big time. He also stated that his XXX supply was decreasing and that he might not be able to replace it. This post was made on 02/08/2012 under the heading February Update: Some not-so-fun news. With this information I decided to place an order. After it arrived and I tried it I decided to place a second order for XXX and I also included Fresco. I just wish I had more funds available as I would place a third order for both XXX and Fresco.

0 123
 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
So what are the other Razorock soaps based on if anything?

I had to visit a client today up in Northbrook so I stopped at the Neiman Marcus here and picked up a new tub of AdP, but I'm willing to still grab a tub of XXX.

129 6,685
 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That's the only one I know of that's an attempt at a "designer imposter" sort of thing.

10 1,858
 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-20-2012, 09:10 AM)mctmatt Wrote: Doug

I am a big fan of XXX, but have never tried the AdP. I will tell you that in another forum Joe at Italian Barber posted in the Vendor section that it's possible he could lose the manufacturer of RazoRock Shaving Cream Soap Line for Classic, Cacao, Fresco, and XXX in the near future. He stated that XXX was his number one seller and that this would hurt big time. He also stated that his XXX supply was decreasing and that he might not be able to replace it. This post was made on 02/08/2012 under the heading February Update: Some not-so-fun news. With this information I decided to place an order. After it arrived and I tried it I decided to place a second order for XXX and I also included Fresco. I just wish I had more funds available as I would place a third order for both XXX and Fresco.

My understanding is that its done. There won't be any more for the foreseeable future. Joe did mention that he has plenty in his warehouse, however. That being said, too common are the stories of not hoarding a discontinued product. The only issue with the XXX is that its a soft soap. Which isn't ideal for long term longevity

9 541