09-17-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the new Manchurian Mountain Badger brush from WSP. First impression is that it offers some special characteristics that could be very desirable for many wetshavers. It has soft tips and strong backbone, more so than any other brush I have tried. More importantly it is really dense and has great flow through, a combination that is yet more difficult to achieve. Yes, there are negatives: brown residue upon soaking and quite a bit of shedding, even for the first time out of the gate. Both of these issues had better resolve themselves soon. If they do, this will be a really special brush.

I posted a thread at the big forum in advance of receiving the brush because I was surprised such an interesting product hadn't gotten any buzz. The "Stubby" handle is well liked and the premium hair offerings from WSP have gotten very positive reviews overall, it strikes me.

I didn't mention this over there, but clearly we are dealing with "treated" hair, considering the snowy tips and the curl they sometimes display. This treatment doesn't lead to an "unnatural" face feel compared with Simpsons 2 band. My TGN Finest, which is also certainly "treated" hair, really does lack some character (for lack of a better term) in how it feels on the face. Simpsons 2 band has a more "natural" face feel (although it too is probably treated), but I don't object to the WSP at all.

I will post some more artistic photos of the brush soon. It certainly deserves them. Here are a few in the meantime:

[Image: 5C8pVS3.jpg]

[Image: LueVXOJ.jpg]

1 255
 09-17-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
Thanks for the update. I am awaiting mine and can share my thoughts when it arrives and I get a chance to use it.
Lee has openly stated that all 2-bands are bleached, some more so than others, from what I understand.

75 20,883
 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
My understanding is that most, if not all, 2-band knots produced for sale these days, regardless of brushmaker, have bleached tips ... the amount/degree of bleach applied affects the color and 'curl' of the tips.

Thank you for posting your thoughts, ntr(nwu) ... and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well, celestino.

102 17,669
 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM
User Info
Glad to hear I'm not alone in picking up on this brush! If my example is characteristic, this will be perfect for those whose faces are prone to brush irritation. My skin is not overly sensitive, but it strikes me that even circular strokes with this will be very kind to pretty much everybody.

I have recently been noticing the variation in black band width on badger hair. Is this a function of the overall hair length, species of badger, or seasonal coat? It would be great to hear more on this topic.

I have an awesome Simpsons Eagle 3 in Pure that has pretty soft and light tips. The majority of the hair is naturally tapered, too. I have been tweezing out the thicker and non-tapered hairs. Face feel is pretty gentle and flow through is awesome. I joked with Mark that it is a "Manchurian" Pure. Here is a shot of that brush:

[Image: qA10us8.jpg]

1 255
 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
I thought that the Stubby HMW on sale is of the three band variety. I own both 3 and 2 Bands of the prototype 24mm knot. I inquired with Lee on the Stubby and it is the HMW 3 Band variety - at least that is what I understood.
(09-17-2013, 07:56 AM)Agravic Wrote: My understanding is that most, if not all, 2-band knots produced for sale these days, regardless of brushmaker, have bleached tips ... the amount/degree of bleach applied affects the color and 'curl' of the tips.

Thank you for posting your thoughts, ntr(nwu) ... and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well, celestino.

31 1,554
 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
(09-17-2013, 08:12 AM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Glad to hear I'm not alone in picking up on this brush! If my example is characteristic, this will be perfect for those whose faces are prone to brush irritation. My skin is not overly sensitive, but it strikes me that even circular strokes with this will be very kind to pretty much everybody.

I have recently been noticing the variation in black band width on badger hair. Is this a function of the overall hair length, species of badger, or seasonal coat? It would be great to hear more on this topic.

I have an awesome Simpsons Eagle 3 in Pure that has pretty soft and light tips. The majority of the hair is naturally tapered, too. I have been tweezing out the thicker and non-tapered hairs. Face feel is pretty gentle and flow through is awesome. I joked with Mark that it is a "Manchurian" Pure. Here is a shot of that brush:

* Wow, that is a beautiful Eagle 3! Biggrin

I have quite a few of the WSP Stubby 26mm Superfine 2-band knots and it will be interesting to compare them to the Manchurian knot.

75 20,883
 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
User Info
A couple better shots of the WSP (but still phone pics):

[Image: GnFlHer.jpg]
[Image: n1vLXp6.jpg]

1 255
 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
Yesterday I tried to buy one, but it appears that they only ship them to the US Sad

10 605
 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
User Info
Lee, the proprietor of WSP, is a member here. Perhaps he will check in and let you know about shipping to Mexico. I believe his username is asharperrazor.

1 255
 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
(09-19-2013, 09:21 AM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Lee, the proprietor of WSP, is a member here. Perhaps he will check in and let you know about shipping to Mexico. I believe his username is asharperrazor.

Thanks, problem solved!

10 605
 09-20-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
I wanted to report back that the shedding, which was 10+ hairs for the first two shaves, got down to five or so for the third shave. Last night was the fourth, and despite bowl and face lathering Mike's Natural soap, only one hair was lost. There is no longer any detectable brown residue in the knot. So things are developing very well.

The gentle tips are a real boon when shaving with a straight razor. The shave last night with my W&B Diamond Edge was the best yet with it, though I am still adapting to the nearly wedge grind and broad smile.

1 255
 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
I had a PM from a fellow Shavenook member about the backbone of this brush and I thought I would post here in case others might benefit from it.

The question asked for a comparison to Shavemac 2 band, the famous D01, I believe. I have never tried a Shavemac, but from all descriptions I have read, I would not recommend this WSP to someone looking for D01 levels of backbone. I would grade it somewhat above a Simpsons 2 band bulb. Remember however, this is a hybrid-type knot shape, so the backbone is impressive and should appeal to those who like Simpsons 2 band.

As far as I know, this WSP is a much denser brush than Shavemacs tend to be. If that appeals to you, it may be good choice, although you would be sacrificing backbone compared with D01.

I don't get the "individual hairs" sensation that Simpsons brushes of all grades sometimes give. My TGN finest also is absent this sensation, but the knot on that has a "rubbery" feel that I don't care for. The WSP is akin in feel to the TGN, but I don't have any objection since it is more "natural" overall. I hope this helps.

1 255
 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I'm liking this brush, but need more reviews &/or opinions from owners before I can pull the trigger. The loft seems to be on the tall side for me @ (52mm).

32 362
 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
User Info
I'm intrigued by the knot - but I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend $90 on one until I'm able to see some more reviews.

Those tips sound wonderful though.

2 87
 09-21-2013, 02:32 AM
User Info
(09-20-2013, 09:46 AM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: I had a PM from a fellow Shavenook member about the backbone of this brush and I thought I would post here in case others might benefit from it.

The question asked for a comparison to Shavemac 2 band, the famous D01, I believe. I have never tried a Shavemac, but from all descriptions I have read, I would not recommend this WSP to someone looking for D01 levels of backbone. I would grade it somewhat above a Simpsons 2 band bulb. Remember however, this is a hybrid-type knot shape, so the backbone is impressive and should appeal to those who like Simpsons 2 band.

As far as I know, this WSP is a much denser brush than Shavemacs tend to be. If that appeals to you, it may be good choice, although you would be sacrificing backbone compared with D01.

I don't get the "individual hairs" sensation that Simpsons brushes of all grades sometimes give. My TGN finest also is absent this sensation, but the knot on that has a "rubbery" feel that I don't care for. The WSP is akin in feel to the TGN, but I don't have any objection since it is more "natural" overall. I hope this helps.

It is very difficult to be more dense than a D01 shavemac look at this photos Cool

[Image: D012.jpg]

[Image: shavemacBloom2.jpg]

[Image: f05af1d5-809a-4ede-bf75-ee36bcade2a8_zpsf2583184.jpg]

8 1,520
 09-21-2013, 01:04 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush, Luis! And it certainly looks very dense. The WSP is equal in density to my Chubby in Best, so I was basing my statement off the quote below.

Quote:08-21-2013, 09:45 AM Post: #2
Teiste

Trade Count: (54)

RE: Simpson Chubby 2 in Best Vs. Shavemac D01
My friend , while the shavemac's D01 are pretty dense (I have tried both a 26 mm and two 24 mm ones with this type of hair) , the Chubby 2 is very , very dense.Of course the knot is bigger (28 mm) than the shavemac brushes with D01 that I have tried , but I cant see the shavemac's playing in the same league of hair density.Maybe you can ask Bernd to add extra hair if you want a custom shavemac brush.But if I have to choose a badger hair out of those two , I will choose the D01.The Simpson best badger is a great badger hair , dont get me wrong , but the D01 that I have tried are better (even softer tips).

1 255
 09-21-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
Well, I thought I might contribute my initial thoughts and pics to this thread as to aid anyone curious about this hair, in some way.
Let me preface by saying that I am not connected to Lee, the proprietor of Wet Shaving Products, in any way and I bought the Manchurian knot/brush from him at the price advertised on his site.

To begin, I have tried quite a few brushes since starting this journey almost two years, now. I have gravitated towards the "2-band" knots as I find them to have the best backbone with very soft tips and very good flow-through which I find a very good combination as I face-lather, exclusively. I have tried the Shavemac D-01, twice and found it a bit to "scrubby" and I don't understand how this knot can soften up! I have also tried Simpsons Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 in 2-bands which I found to be excellent brushes, but they lacked the backbone I prefer. I have also tried and enjoyed the Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL and 2XL in 2-Band, but found the 1XL too small and the 2XL splayed too much for my liking. I then tried the WSP 2-band Superfine Stubbys which became my preferred knots for their performance and price. I have been curious about the Manchurian hair that Simpsons was offering, but I find them a bit too expensive. When I saw that WSP was offering a type of Manchurian knot, I figured for the price, I could afford to try one.

I have been using it for the past four days even though my SOTD pics might reveal otherwise as I have not had time to take pics of it, ashamedly. I have quite a few WSP 2-band Superfine Stubbys that I have been comparing this Manchurian knot to. I have the Manchurian knot temporarily set in my A&A Briarwood and I have tried it at lofts of 48mm and 52mm. It has very interesting and very different hair compared to anything I have tried, so far. It is quite dense, but I would not agree with the OP's view that it is "Chubby-like" as I have yet to find a brush as dense as the Simpsons Chubby series. The Manchurian knot also has very good backbone, not quite as much as my WSP 2-bands, but very close and it also has very good flow-through. My M&F 2XL has the most backbone of all of my brushes since it is a 28X47mm knot. The feel and characteristics of the Manchurian hair are very unique. The tips of the hair have a greyish-white colour to them and are very soft. It has lost approximately 10 hairs during the four days of use.

I am really enjoying the knot and would, personally, recommend it at this price. I wouldn't necessarily say it is better than any of my other brushes, but just different. I will have to test it for a longer period of time before I can make a more valid assessment of this type of hair.
Of course, this is a very subjective opinion and you would need to make your own decision on whether to try one or not.

I still believe that the most important factor when choosing a brush or any gear is that you enjoy it regardless of the brand/name/knot/razor/aftershave etcetera. After all, enjoying your shaves is the most important thing, not the name/brand of your products.
I hope this rambling and post may be of any assistance to anyone.

Here are some photos of the elusive knot as they are no longer available and there were only 25 sold. Good thing I have a few. Angel

Please, note that the knots were set, earlier this year, 2014, in these handles at 53-54mm which allows for a much larger splay while reducing the backbone and it just feels much nicer than when the loft was at 48 & 50mm. Smile

[Image: dbuv.jpg]

[Image: so848.jpg]

[Image: 8zvq.jpg]

75 20,883
 09-21-2013, 08:12 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Great review, celestino ... and nice photos of your 'premier' brushes!

The WSP Manchurian certainly sounds like an interesting knot worth looking into for folks (like me) who favor knots with decent backbone and soft tips with good flow-through. I guess I should consider trying one ...

Although your M&F is labeled 'Blonde Badger', the knot shown looks very much like that of the 'Heritage 2-band' series in appearance.

Also ... I must say the briarwood A&A handle is gorgeous! Smile

102 17,669
 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM
User Info
Thanks, Ravi! Blush

75 20,883
 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes, Celestino! The Rooney/M&F Stubby handles get me every time...

The Superfine knots are really interesting. I should do some reading about them. The filaments certainly do look thin...

1 255