04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
User Info

1) Brush right out of the box

2) Brush in hand...I love the way the cherry handle looks and feels. No sticker, but an engraved logo.

3) Pre-bloom density check. The brush is maybe not the densest brush on the market, but plenty dense.

4) Here is one of the test lathers I made. This was with E-Shave Avocado & Linden shaving soap. I made a couple more with this soap and then shampooed the brush twice. When making lather in my palm, the tips of the hair didn't seem all the scritchy like I feared they might be. It actually reminded me of the "best badger" hair in my Simpsons Rover more than the other 2-band brushes I have, in terms of softness. There was some badger funk, but it wasn't too bad. About 10 hairs were lost during the first 2 test latherings (before shampooing) but then no more after that. I don't think this is a shedder...it probably just wasn't combed out enough at the factory. I've had this happen with other brushes before, btw (big brands too).

5) Post-bloom density check

6) The handle is very ergonomic. This is a regular grip

7) Pencil grip

8) Here is brush with my other 2-bands. Notice that the tips of the brush have brownish color to them, similar to "best badger" over the white-ish tips of the other 2-bands.

9) Here is the SOC badger with my Simpsons Tulip 3 Super 2-band. You can see that the hair looks different, especially in the color of the tips. This is clearly a different "type" of hair than the other 2-band brushes I have. Not saying it's bad, just different.

Looking forward to shaving with this brush tomorrow.

0 189
 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review and nice pictures. I might have to add one of these to my list someday. Right now I'm enjoying my two SOC boars just to much.

173 23,504
 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Nice! I look forward to your post-shave thoughts.

6 315
 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
I actually have an SOC boar on the way also, but it hasn't arrived yet.

0 189
 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
Lovely photos. I Like how you compared the SOC badger to other two bands and pointed out the difference in hair.

I too look forward to your future comments on the brush.

3 452
 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well,I have the first SOC badger which was made (as well as some protos of it) and I say that for its price it beats many two band badger brushes out there.
Give it a couple uses or make lather with it like 10 times on a bowl (or even palm lathering) and it would be ready to provide you excellent lather every time you use it.
Enjoy it.

86 7,123
 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I love my SOC 2Band. I do like it a lot more than my 2011 LE Fbadger1 which I recently sold off. Also before using it for face lathering, I did the steps as what Teiste mentioned about to break it in a little. After doing so the hair is softer. Also I do wish the tips were a little more whiter too, but I don't think I can do anything to change that!

10 963
 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
The SOC cherry wood handle is beautiful. I have the SOC boar brush with the cherry wood handle, and it's one of my favorites. Looks like your badger hair knot is bloomimg nicely.

0 1,377
 04-20-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
I used the brush today and it performed very well. Solid backbone with fine flow-through.

Anyway, whipped up a nice lather with Cella and wasn't too scritchy on my face. It did have a teeny amount of scritch, but it was fine...I'm fairly sensitive to scritch, btw.

Looking forward to using this brush and having it soften up slighty...though it's quite alright where it is at now.

What I want to know is, when will Semogue come out with another limited or SOC brush that has 3-band Silvertip hair?

0 189
 04-20-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
Nice write-up on the Semogue!

75 20,883
 04-21-2012, 06:38 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Thanks for sharing, I don't have many brushes but the SOC is probably one of my best. Considering the price - quality, a brush I would dare to recommend to people who start wet shaving. IMHO the SOC gets even better after a few months of use.

27 1,294
 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great looking brush.

Semogue brushes are great whether they are boar or badger. Nice pictures and a great review.
I prefer the Semogue boars.

1 3,507
 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
I used the brush again today and it seemed scritchier than the last time for some reason. Weird. Maybe it was the thickness of my lather...no idea. Anyway,the scritch isn't too bad, but I do hope it will soften up as I use it more. Will probably give it another go the day after tomorrow.

Even like it is now, it's more comfortable than the horsehair brush I tried that was just too scritchy for me.

0 189
 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(04-20-2012, 12:47 PM)wknicholas Wrote: The SOC cherry wood handle is beautiful. I have the SOC boar brush with the cherry wood handle, and it's one of my favorites. Looks like your badger hair knot is bloomimg nicely.

I also have the SOC Cherry Boar. Those handles are really nice looking and at least for me (long fingers/big hands) it is very ergonomic.

And if I'm not mistaken, the price is very attractive for a 2 band brush.

0 353
 04-27-2012, 08:33 AM
User Info
Used the brush again today and it performed very well. I made a conscious effort to keep my lather very well hydrated and dipped the tips more this time before lathering up. The result was more scrub with very little scritch. I think the key to preventing this brush from getting too scritchy is to make sure your lather and the bristles stay well hydrated. Or course that is pretty much the case with any brush, yet this one (and perhaps some of my other two band brushes) seems to be a little more sensitive to it than a typical 3-band silvertip.

0 189
 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
(04-27-2012, 08:33 AM)cvac Wrote: Used the brush again today and it performed very well. I made a conscious effort to keep my lather very well hydrated and dipped the tips more this time before lathering up. The result was more scrub with very little scritch. I think the key to preventing this brush from getting too scritchy is to make sure your lather and the bristles stay well hydrated. Or course that is pretty much the case with any brush, yet this one (and perhaps some of my other two band brushes) seems to be a little more sensitive to it than a typical 3-band silvertip.

I've only used my SOC 2-band a couple times but I do agree with you on this point about the tips needing to stay hydrated. Great brush!

31 7,912