09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
User Info
My father in law is visiting his family in Iran right now and they keep asking what they can send back to us. We already have the standard souvenirs, so I was thinking of asking for something relating to wetshaving. Anybody have a feel for whether there's any unique good-quality shaving products over there?

My wife went a few years ago and brought me back some Arko shave cream, but of course she didn't realize that I can buy that on Amazon for a few bucks, so i'm looking for something more unique.

I'm doubting I'll get much feedback, but I thought I'd try Smile

8 115
 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
User Info
This is a a hilarious question. I'm part Iranian myself. I highly doubt you will find anything unique over there. partly as Iran is currently under islamic rule and beards all the rage. any shaving material will just be the generic stuff i assume.

1 171
 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM
User Info
(09-18-2013, 02:07 PM)riskybadger Wrote: This is a a hilarious question. I'm part Iranian myself. I highly doubt you will find anything unique over there. partly as Iran is currently under islamic rule and beards all the rage. any shaving material will just be the generic stuff i assume.

I think you're probably right that only generic stuff would be available, but I figured if I did find something unique then it would likely be very unique.

Not sure if you're joking on the beard stereotype, but from the many photos from my wife's last trip there are zero males with a beard, although plenty of moustaches. There's definitely a lot of shaving going on there.

8 115
 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM
User Info
(09-19-2013, 06:29 AM)norm Wrote: Not sure if you're joking on the beard stereotype, but from the many photos from my wife's last trip there are zero males with a beard, although plenty of moustaches. There's definitely a lot of shaving going on there.

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. My brother's current gf is a pretty recent immigrant from Iran and she says men shave there. Don't know the proportion though. I'm sure there's scholarly articles on the subject. I remember reading a NYT article about the facial hair of the new regime.

9 2,988
 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM
User Info
(09-19-2013, 11:22 AM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 06:29 AM)norm Wrote: Not sure if you're joking on the beard stereotype, but from the many photos from my wife's last trip there are zero males with a beard, although plenty of moustaches. There's definitely a lot of shaving going on there.

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. My brother's current gf is a pretty recent immigrant from Iran and she says men shave there. Don't know the proportion though. I'm sure there's scholarly articles on the subject. I remember reading a NYT article about the facial hair of the new regime.

I saw that article too. Definitely fashionable among the older leaders of the country, but it doesn't seem to popular to have a beard among everyday city folk.

At any rate, I decided to do some internet sleuthing myself to see what i can find. Not much, but I did find some sort of safety razor here, and this photo of a barbershop with a bunch of Arko cream in the background that I thought was interesting:
[Image: Lwx9IWP.jpg]

8 115
 09-20-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
(09-19-2013, 06:29 AM)norm Wrote:
(09-18-2013, 02:07 PM)riskybadger Wrote: This is a a hilarious question. I'm part Iranian myself. I highly doubt you will find anything unique over there. partly as Iran is currently under islamic rule and beards all the rage. any shaving material will just be the generic stuff i assume.

I think you're probably right that only generic stuff would be available, but I figured if I did find something unique then it would likely be very unique.

Not sure if you're joking on the beard stereotype, but from the many photos from my wife's last trip there are zero males with a beard, although plenty of moustaches. There's definitely a lot of shaving going on there.

Yeh i was just joking around with the stereotype.

it be cool if there was an artisan shave soap maker but i highly doubt it.

1 171
 09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Looks like an underground barber shop and temporary bomb shelter all rolled into one.

173 23,490
 09-20-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
That is a very interesting looking shop! Biggrin

75 20,883