09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
After reading many posts about mild versus aggressive razors a picture emerges. The picture I get is that a mild razor is generally not an efficient razor. In contrast, the aggressive razor is more efficient in getting a closer shave. Efficiency meaning that an aggressive razor requires less strokes or perhaps even less passes than a mild razor to achieve a given degree of closeness.

However, what continuously surprises me is the incredibly close shave (efficient?) I get with the Merkur 11C open comb (now discontinued), which by all accounts, including my own, is extremely mild. I judge closeness by how soon the stubble re-appears, and the somewhat more subjective wife's cheek-to-cheek test. The 11C gives the impression that you cannot possibly cut yourself with it, and I have rarely had a weeper from it. The amazing thing is that the second pass feels like I forgot to put a blade in the razor (unless I go ATG).

What could have made Merkur stop producing the 11C? Do the current Merkur OCs have that combination of efficiency and mildness? If so, why aren't people raving about them?

Thanks for listening.

1 745
 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
I also have the Merkur 11c razor. It is a very nice O.C. 2 piece razor. As you stated, very mild. The Merkur 41c 1904 style has the same head. I like them both.
As far as why Merkur no longer makes the 11c, all I can say is they would not discontinue a razor that was selling good. Maybe that was it.

5 1,334
 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
I often lament that the 11c is discontinued. I'd really like to get my hands on one!

7 89
 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
I found the Merkur 11C to be a very nice shaver; mild, but very nice. The head was quite comparable to the Muhle R41 2010 version; not exact, but very, very close.

My Weber DLC is also considered a mild razor, but I find it to be extremely effective and smoooth.

Enjoy the 11C! Smile

75 20,884
 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have the 11C and the 11G. While never see much use anymore they are both keepers. Mild, yet efficient performers. I agree it is truly a shame that Merkur discontinued these as they were always one of the first razors I'd recommend to those just starting out...

91 17,876
 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(09-21-2013, 03:56 PM)shave/brush Wrote: As far as why Merkur no longer makes the 11c, all I can say is they would not discontinue a razor that was selling good. Maybe that was it.

Merkur said, that the machinery to make these razors was hopelessly worn out and overaged and that it wouldn't be viable to invest into new machinery. So they had to stop production.

Without having seen Merkur's plant I have the impression, that most of their machinery is way too old and worn out, leading to the many quality issues. Seeing some of their current razors one might think they aren't from Germany but from somewhere in the deepest carpathian mountains in Romania.

0 229
 09-22-2013, 04:20 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(09-22-2013, 01:26 AM)Elbe Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 03:56 PM)shave/brush Wrote: As far as why Merkur no longer makes the 11c, all I can say is they would not discontinue a razor that was selling good. Maybe that was it.

Merkur said, that the machinery to make these razors was hopelessly worn out and overaged and that it wouldn't be viable to invest into new machinery. So they had to stop production.

Without having seen Merkur's plant I have the impression, that most of their machinery is way too old and worn out, leading to the many quality issues. Seeing some of their current razors one might think they aren't from Germany but from somewhere in the deepest carpathian mountains in Romania.

Very interesting information. A company that wants to make profits but no regard for quality. If someone complains its cheaper for Merkur to replace a part.

100 12,450