09-21-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
I should start by saying I don't need another brush. In fact I could probably get rid of a brush or 5...but I think I would like a rotation of 7 brushes. At the moment I have:

Simspon's Duke 3 - Best
Simpson's Polo 8 - 2 band super
Shavemac D01 - this is a small custom brush that I traded for...I don't remember the specifics...
Shavemac 173 - 21mm knot
Plisson - also don't remember the specs on this one. I can say that it has a smaller knot (which I tend to prefer).
MF - blonde badger, don't remember the specs but it seems to be similar to the Colonel X2L

I generally am a soap user and bowl latherer.

My favorite brushes are the Duke 3 and Shavemac 173. I prefer little/no scritch in my brushes.

I've also had and traded/sold a Colonel X2L, Saville Row 3874, Kent BK4, and others that I forget ;-)

So, any ideas of some others I should consider?

At the moment I'm considering the following:
Simpsons TSN LE - don't know the specs but I'm intrigued.
Simpsons PJ 2 in Best or Super 2-Band
Thater 4292/4 or possibly another Thater

30 525
 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My favourite brush for bowl lathering is my Simpsons Emperor 3 Manchurian.

IMO the handle offers the ultimate bowl lathering experience and the knot suits my tastes perfectly, but a 2 band Super might be more appealing to you. Currently the softest tips offered by Simpsons and a smaller feeling knot compared to the 3 band Super.

The PJ handle is not as slender as the Emperor and hence perhaps not as manoeuvrable, but I still see it as a sensible choice, whereas the Simpson TSN LE I believe will have a squatter and wider handle perhaps making it less convenient for bowl lathering.

I would have thought the Polo 8 might rank among your preferred brushes as the handle is not bad for bowl lathering. I'm not sure when you purchased it, but there was a period where Simpsons 2 band were not consistently soft at the tips, this has since been remedied by Mark and the Simpsons team.

I've owned Thater and Shavemacs in the past. Although wonderful brushes they were not ones I retained. I also owned and sold Kent and Saville Row too. I do have M&F, Rooney and Plisson in my current collection.

91 17,823
 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Thanks, Ben. I forgot to add that I'm also considering the Kent BLK 8.

Interestingly, I had considered the Emperor series but for some reason ended up leaning towards the PJ. I'll have to take another look at the Emperor.

While I'd be interested in a Manchurian it's a bit outside my budget at the moment.

Best,
David

30 525
 09-23-2013, 05:37 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I too am a bowl latherer. My picks are:
1. Vie-Long 16510
2. Simpson QE II
3 Simpson Emperor 3 Manchurian
4. Finally A Surprise Simpson Wee Scott. One would never think it but it does a wonderful bowl lather and as an added extra cleans my hand right up to the wrist.

57 917
 09-23-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
Make it a silvertip, if you like no scritch at all.
A Rooney Size2 or a Thäter would be my choices.

If you want something really unique, consider the Kimson silvertips wit horn handles, or a Rod Neep creation.
On the less expensive side, maybe a Semogue 2015 Silvertip or a Vie-Long.

2 5,527
 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I happened to find a lightly used Emperor 2 in Super and decided to try it.

30 525
 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM
User Info
Good luck with the Emperor 2!Smile

75 20,883