09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
So I am putting an order in at a vendor in the next few days and am looking into picking up a small badger travel brush. I have an Hjm BlackFibre which is nice and soft, but I dislike the way it bends and splays, as it feels quite bizarre compared to natural hairs.

The three models I am looking at are the:

Omega 599

Simpsons Special S1 Best Badger

Simpsons Wee Scott

All three look tempting for various reasons to me, and are nearly identical prices. I hear good things about the Omega and the Wee Scott, but am curious why the Special S1 Best seems to get little mention. For what it's worth, I find that I gravitate towards softer brushes and my daily driver is a Thater 2-band, which is perfect for my skin (good backbone, zero scritch or prickle, excellent flow). I really can't stand much scritch or prickle on account of how sensitive my skin is.

Thanks for any input.

14 229
 09-21-2013, 07:01 PM
User Info
I recommend the Special. It will also fit in the Simpson Case. Starts a little stuff, but breaks in nicely!

7 89
 09-21-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
The Simpsons Special in Best is a nice brush and I use it in my everyday rotation.

Another worth considering is the Case. It comes with a travel tube and is actually part of the WeeScot family. It's the largest member of the family.

32 6,308
 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
(09-21-2013, 07:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The Simpsons Special in Best is a nice brush and I use it in my everyday rotation.

Another worth considering is the Case. It comes with a travel tube and is actually part of the WeeScot family. It's the largest member of the family.

Good call, I think I heard at some point the original name for the Case was the Wee Scott 3 or something like that. My only hesitation with Simpsons is that I hear tale of inconsistencies in the softness of the hair, and that some knots do end up being rather prickly in the Best spectrum.

14 229
 09-21-2013, 09:51 PM
User Info
I would also have to agree with Brian on his recommendation of the simpsons Case although the Wee Scot is a might fine brush for its diminutive size. Good luck with your decision.

75 20,883
 09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
I quite like the Wee Scot. At first I thought it would be too small, but I actually enjoy using it.

That, paired with a Bakelite razor (which isn't really Bakelite, apparently), makes for a very light weight travel kit.

0 33
 09-22-2013, 06:26 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I bought a Wee Scott for travel and it quickly became part of my regular rotation. For a travel case I use the smallest plastic prescription bottle from my local Pharmacy. I drilled a small hole in the cap and another small hole in the base of the bottle for drainage.

57 916
 09-22-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
really? is this extra smallness actually going to make much difference in your travel packing regime?

the smallest brush i have is a wonderful New Forest Tubby 1 with a 24mm two band knot. and i find it quite the dinky little thing and i am very fond of it. i don't see the need for these so called travel brushes (other than novelty). how much space exactly is it going to save in your man bag? half an inch all round maybe?

1 171
 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
I have a Simpson Wee Scott. The first time than I had it in my hand its size surprised me, it is a very very small shaving brush, but is great. It can make a good and rich lather.

2 363
 09-22-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-22-2013, 07:14 AM)riskybadger Wrote: really? is this extra smallness actually going to make much difference in your travel packing regime?

the smallest brush i have is a wonderful New Forest Tubby 1 with a 24mm two band knot. and i find it quite the dinky little thing and i am very fond of it. i don't see the need for these so called travel brushes (other than novelty). how much space exactly is it going to save in your man bag? half an inch all round maybe?

For me, it's not so much the space saving or lighter weight as it is that the knot will dry more rapidly. I prefer not to pack up damp brushes, as they build up some unpleasant funk to them if packed away in such a state. The synthetic I have is great in this regard, I just don't like the way that the BlackFibre bristles feel in terms of their splay, hence the search for a smaller badger that has a chance to dry quickly during travel.

14 229
 09-22-2013, 08:02 AM
User Info
Expodyii, I can only remember my posts, there must be other posts by others that might also help you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>A review of various travel brushes<<<<<<<<<<<<< The brushes to the right in the group picture fit in a tiny Rx bottle. Not all are badger- most aren't if I remember correctly.

If your mind is open to synthetic or boar other travel brushes can be included. IMO, synthetic makes the best travel brush unless you'll have plenty of time between shaving and storage for the badger to dry.

I don't remember if it was on this forum... maybe a year ago someone posted about a trip they took with a badger and because of having to put it away wet the brush self destructed in no time. I only offer that as food for thought. It's what prompted me to explore synthetic travel brushes.

The Oscar11 handled TGN synthetic brush is quite possibly the finest travel brush in the lineup in the link above (for me it's like asking me to pick a favorite child). I have no idea if Oscar11 could be persuaded to make another of those handles. I heard a rumor that he wasn't making handles any longer. But maybe if he was asked...

32 6,308
 09-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Not only does the Wee Scott dry quickly it is an excellent badger brush in the $40 range. If it gets lost or stolen during travel it is no real big deal to replace. If it were one of my silvertips that I got separated from I would grieve.Yet the shave I get from the Wee Scott is very similar.

57 916
 09-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  • Pudu
User Info
Every two to three years I relocate and have to live out of my suitcase for anywhere from 3-5 months. So any extra weight/space is precious.

Love the Wee Scot.

0 33
 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
I found the Wee Scot too small but I love my Simpson Case!

0 117
 09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
The case gets my vote because it's a great travel design along with the tube that was made to fit it. I'm not a Big brush guy for the most part and find both the Case and WeeScot to fall on the accurate/detail oriented end of the brush spectrum... vs. the brushes you can basically paint a room with. With the case you get a nice dense knot and no matter what you end up with, the hair grade should still be impressive...This brush is well protected in its tube during travel and is something you don't think twice about...the handle is much less of a "pincher" when compared with the omega and Wee too. Just to comment on the WeeScot, u can't go wrong...the knot shape is very unique having a fan shape that is almost flat at the tips...this is why this little guy performs so well IMO...lots of surface area to whip up cream or soap compared to more bulbous knots. I haven't heard of anyone ever being disappointed with the Wee, it's just plain fun to useExclamation If I'm packing for a vacation my bags allow for any size brush to be packed, I just like the Case/WeeScot being protected in their tubes...But for those times that I'm packing light, like for a couple nights in one of the five burroughs of NY...My backpack fills up quickly, so a brush, sample size products and a Feather Popular razor take up just enough room and stay in perfect shape throughout my travelsThumbup

4 792
 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
Hmm, lots of great info here! Thanks for the links and thoughts, I definitely have some thinking to do!

14 229
 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
The Harvard 1 and Duke 1 also fit in the travel tube. I own both of those brushes and recommend them. The Classics are worth considering too if you want more density.

1 255
 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Attached a Wee Scott nestled in it's travel container.Total cost $0. Work drillin 2 small holes . One in the Cap and one in the bottom of the pill bottle.
[Image: JdSFwsx.jpg]

57 916
 09-23-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
I have only tried the Wee Scot and all I can say is that it's a great brush, not only for travel but for regular use.

15 381
 09-23-2013, 11:58 PM
User Info
The Case.

It does 'everything' ...

1 630