09-21-2013, 08:18 PM
User Info
My lovely daughter stopped by an antique shop this afternoon and called me to see if it was one I wanted. Turned out to be a Damaskeene. I've been curious about this razor for several months now, after reading about it here on TSN. I've already used it for the normal evening shave, and it seems to have provided a very nice result, meaning smooth and aggessive but not in a harsh way. I made sure to hold the blade angle very tight to the face, just as I do with the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher, and the blade just wiped those whiskers away. Good little razor, but the handle is not much more than a toothpick. I might have to modify this one to use the modern handles so I can get a much heftier razor. We'll see.

24 1,148
 09-21-2013, 09:48 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Gary! That is a fine razor. I only wish I could tolerate those blades. Enjoy it! Smile

75 20,884
 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM
User Info
When I saw the subject and the author I knew you'd like it immediately.

32 6,308
 09-21-2013, 11:30 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I love mine. I agree the handle is a bit thin but the shaves I get from mine are incredible. One of my top 3 razors.....

5 1,151
 09-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
A great little razor. I don't mind the handle at all but I have small hands so that may help.

2 11,211
 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM
User Info
I have large hands and use the CC Demaskeene more and more...there is some getting used to the diminutive handle, but it is worth it. I would love to have an OC Demaskeene but, as stated, they are harder to find...All in all, a great razor.

3 73
 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
User Info
Hmmm. . . I didn't know there is an open comb,or maybe mine is an open comb? It's a closed bar with a row of slotted openings. Which one is this?

24 1,148
 09-26-2013, 06:15 AM
User Info
The GEM Damaskeene rocks. That your daughter spotted it for you makes it an even better shaver. ;-)

I suggest you keep on for a while with the smaller handle. You might find that this was intentional. I was concerned at first as well. Now I like it.

3 285
 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(09-21-2013, 08:18 PM)brothers Wrote: My lovely daughter stopped by an antique shop this afternoon and called me to see if it was one I wanted. Turned out to be a Damaskeene. I've been curious about this razor for several months now, after reading about it here on TSN. I've already used it for the normal evening shave, and it seems to have provided a very nice result, meaning smooth and aggessive but not in a harsh way. I made sure to hold the blade angle very tight to the face, just as I do with the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher, and the blade just wiped those whiskers away. Good little razor, but the handle is not much more than a toothpick. I might have to modify this one to use the modern handles so I can get a much heftier razor. We'll see.
Easy to do ...just retap with same size as any handle you want to use and buy a threaded rod same size as your handle...cut rod to about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long and away you go...thread into handle and then into head....the standard size is 5mm X 8 twist

6 1,913
 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
Hi Harvey. This is how I did the same thing to my Gem Jr Bar lather catcher a few months ago. The only difference from your method is that I used a bolt instead of a piece of threaded rod. That handle I made is still working quite well for me. I use it exclusively with the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher.

24 1,148
 09-26-2013, 06:51 PM
User Info
(09-26-2013, 06:06 AM)brothers Wrote: Hmmm. . . I didn't know there is an open comb,or maybe mine is an open comb? It's a closed bar with a row of slotted openings. Which one is this?

Hi Gary, The comb you describe is for function purposes an open comb, but in the SE world it's called a closed comb because technically it is closed. There is a rarer version of the Damaskeene that really does have an open comb. It's said to be a bit more aggressive than the CC Damaskeene. Not having one, I'm just passing on what I've heard about it.

32 6,308
 09-26-2013, 06:57 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey Gary, you DO NOT have an OC. They have an open comb arraignment like any open comb DE. Maybe not as substantial amount of metal but the same idea. I've been on the look out for one for a while. The only one I've found so far had a missing blade catch. And the asking price was still 25 bucks.......

From what I've read the OC gives just a bit closer/smoother shave.

I am stuck on the entire 1912 family. They are the best safety razors for me. I've got a GEM Jr., Gem, Star, and of course my Dammie. LOVE all of them. BBS shaves from each. They also sell for next to nothing. (Damaskeene excepted). I may pick up a 1912 and tap it as per your design and see what happens with my UFO Goliath handle. May be a MONSTER !!!

5 1,151
 09-26-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
Sounds great. I'll put these on the list right under the Streamline. Thanks!

24 1,148
 09-26-2013, 08:06 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(09-26-2013, 06:10 PM)brothers Wrote: Hi Harvey. This is how I did the same thing to my Gem Jr Bar lather catcher a few months ago. The only difference from your method is that I used a bolt instead of a piece of threaded rod. That handle I made is still working quite well for me. I use it exclusively with the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher.
Oh yah...forgot about that...great idea!!!

6 1,913
 10-27-2013, 11:53 AM
User Info
I really like mine. It was my razor of the week last week.

BrushnSoapnBlade

1 58
 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM
User Info
I found a Damaskeene OC a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't cheap, but now I've got one. Shaves great.

24 1,148
 10-28-2013, 04:45 AM
User Info
I love my Damaskeenes! Some of the best shaves ever. I always get a nice BBS shave with no blood. They are deceptive. You think you're not even cutting anything and go to feel, and your skin is smooth. Just amazing razors! Congrats on getting one, OP. (I agree with one poster, I like my OC a little more than my CC Damaskeene.)

0 76
 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(09-26-2013, 05:51 PM)Harvey Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:18 PM)brothers Wrote: My lovely daughter stopped by an antique shop this afternoon and called me to see if it was one I wanted. Turned out to be a Damaskeene. I've been curious about this razor for several months now, after reading about it here on TSN. I've already used it for the normal evening shave, and it seems to have provided a very nice result, meaning smooth and aggessive but not in a harsh way. I made sure to hold the blade angle very tight to the face, just as I do with the Gem Jr Bar lather catcher, and the blade just wiped those whiskers away. Good little razor, but the handle is not much more than a toothpick. I might have to modify this one to use the modern handles so I can get a much heftier razor. We'll see.
Easy to do ...just retap with same size as any handle you want to use and buy a threaded rod same size as your handle...cut rod to about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long and away you go...thread into handle and then into head....the standard size is 5mm X 8 twist

My GEM Junior (The Parade) has 10-32 female and male (handle) threads. If Damaskeens come with the same 10-32 thread, then you do not have to retap since most of handles come either with 10-32 or M5-0.8 (female) thread. A 10-32 stud will fit in any 10-32 or M5-0.8 female thread, so all you need is a 10-32 stud from Home Depot to coonect your Damaskeene with any handle.

1 90
 09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
If it helps, here's a pic of the open comb version.  I was fortunate to pick this one up at a junk shop. (with the case)

[Image: 9uX0Yhy.jpg]

47 1,375
 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
(09-10-2015, 10:51 AM)HUF Wrote:
(09-26-2013, 05:51 PM)Harvey Wrote:

My GEM Junior (The Parade) has 10-32 female and male (handle) threads. If Damaskeens come with the same 10-32 thread, then you do not have to retap since most of handles come either with 10-32 or M5-0.8 (female) thread. A 10-32 stud will fit in any 10-32 or M5-0.8 female thread, so all you need is a 10-32 stud from Home Depot to coonect your Damaskeene with any handle.

Damaskeenes have a smaller thread and will need to be drilled/tapped to fit a modern handle. Of course, this means that you will no longer be able to use the original handle. 

Later 1912's such as the Gem Junior and the Ever-Ready "Improved" 1912 have the 10-32 thread and may be used with modern handles with the addition of a setscrew.

[Image: pvZppTR.jpg]

Gem Cutlery Co. Curved Top Damaskeene w/Matador S2 Stainless Steel Handle. 

--Bob

0 156