06-04-2014, 01:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tutorial!! Good information here!

64 337
 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 07:58 AM)daccpa Wrote: Great tutorial Pez. I will just need to be extra careful not to over-embiggen the opening. I'd hate to ruin a nice handle, it would be a tapestry of justice.

it's pretty easy not to over enlarge the hole when using a sanding drum with a 240 grit band and running the rotary tool at it's lowest speed I've never used power tools for the most part to do something till Monday when I started restoring an ever-ready 100 brush using this tutorial it's a great tutorial most of the ever-ready brushes look like they were made with 19-20mm knots so if you don't want to worry to much about over embiggening the hole buy a 20-21mm knot the knots I'm using came from vig shaving they have both an ebay and an etsy shop they have pretty reasonable prices as well as a good selection of knots not as good as the golden nib but pretty good. if your fully restoring a handle use 400 grit progressing to 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper to get any old factory ridges from the mold out or scratches from over the years then polish with flitz & then final polish with turtle wax super hard shell.

0 19
 12-30-2015, 04:32 PM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 07:58 AM)daccpa Wrote: Great tutorial Pez. I will just need to be extra careful not to over-embiggen the opening. I'd hate to ruin a nice handle, it would be a tapestry of justice.

Wonderful tutorial, with perfectly cromulent photos!

0 71
 01-08-2016, 01:52 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
That's really neat thanks for sharing. I have a few brushes of my grandfather's my grandmother gave me, the knots look terrible but maybe I can try this and reknot them.

14 769
 01-15-2016, 07:00 AM
User Info
Tried this out last night and it worked wonderfully! I love bringing old suff back to life and have a bunch of old brushes ive picked up that ive been wondering about. Thank you for the excellent tutorial

8 99
 01-15-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
[Image: 3ZCwqcX.jpg]my first try ever ready 100 it was in pretty rough shape. Cleaned it up ad used a cheap knot and added alot of weight went smooth but had a little spot of epoxy seep up between the knot and handle over night, just a tiny bubble. Going to try a nicer handle and knot soon.

8 99
 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I should grab a few vintage brushes and practice reknotting. Some lovely results can be achieved as far as I see.

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 02:06 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Great Method. I actually used this method for my first brush and a slight variation for the second (in progress).

Basically i cut away the knot and use nail clippers to clip it as close as possible.
For this Brush (Black/Green) the two side were able to be separated after awhile, so i just used a hammer + screwdriver to remove the knot (From the bottom side). May not work across all brush though. The epoxy was some white/grey cement stuff and some black stuff as well. The black were still damp though it has been in storage for a month plus. I havent decided how i'm going to add weight to the brush yet. Will probably choose to either (a) Buy Fritz or (b) just use fine grit sandpaper to clean up the top of the brush.

The lettering i will probably use gold enamel to colour it back in.

First Completed Brush: Rubberset 203
Second In Progress Brush: Ever Ready 103S

Justification for my restoration: Delayed gratification against buying a ready- made brush. My spin is that if i buy another two (Black/Red & Black/Blue) it will complete a set which match my primary school (Junior School for Americans) whereby our sports exercise was done in tshirt of 4 colours: Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. Additionally, i used to go to a barber back then whereby i seen the indian man do straight shaving with a shaving brush for some of his older clients. (Unfortunately i never get a chance to tried that as he went back to India back when i was 13-14, i'm 28 now) So a 4 set brush would be a throwback to that time of my life whereby these 4 colours brought happiness as it was time away from books AND a memory of the old Indian barber.

10 369
 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Nice work.
I love restoring vintage brushes, and actually rather do that than purchase a new one. MHO.

2 1,682