09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
  • jfowler
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Southeast Missouri
User Info
I picked up a G Bar a while back and finally got around to using it some this week. I am really liking the results I have been getting with it. I had been using strictly de razors up until now, but this one is making me want to branch out to the se side of things. Any tips on other se razors to try? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

0 6
 09-23-2013, 05:37 AM
User Info
The gem or ever ready 1912 is an excellent next step. Fantastic smooth shaves without being overly aggressive. Also, they can be found cheap!

7 89
 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Cobra Razor, the best SE I've used .

15 541
 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(09-23-2013, 06:57 AM)Hanzo Wrote: Cobra Razor, the best SE I've used .
Amen

57 917
 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
If you don't have the considerable funds required for a Cobra (I don't Sad ) ,try a 1912, an Ever-Ready 1914 or any of the micromatics. The Open comb micromatic is quie a bit more aggresive than the G-bar, but the two saftey-bar micromatics are nice and easy to use. Once you are comfortable with other somewhat aggressive SE razors, you should give the Open Comb micromatic a shot. It's the favorite razor of many SE shavers.

0 911
 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM
  • jfowler
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Southeast Missouri
User Info
Thanks for the advice! I've spent all my time looking through shops for old gillettes that I have overlooked a lot of their se counterparts. Now I have even more to look for.

0 6
 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(09-23-2013, 08:27 AM)jfowler Wrote: Thanks for the advice! I've spent all my time looking through shops for old gillettes that I have overlooked a lot of their se counterparts. Now I have even more to look for.

Another razor you may like is the GEM Featherweight. It should be just like the G-bar, but I get much better results with the FW than the G-bar. Of course it doesn't look nearly as cool... The G-bar is a beautiful razor.

0 911
 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
There are so many choices with injectore and SEs. There is the ultimate SE, the Cobra Classic.
You can always be patient for the Hunt/Lee Katana SE.
Good luck with the experimenting!

75 20,883
 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
Welcome to the sharp side!

How did you like the sound effects with the G Bar?

Yup, the Featherweight has the same head as the G Bar, but because of the construction I think it feels like a different razor (Duhhh! It is! Great statement SD! :-) ) . The Clic pushbutton also shares the same head. All 3 are quite mild. Milder still is the GEM Jr. Bar Lather Catcher. They look great, but IMO are too mild. Lots of folks like them though.

Of the 1912s the GEM Damaskeene is IMO the least aggressive and a good next step. The Jr or '24 (both 1912s) would be another step and the straight 1912 the most aggressive of the 1912s. You can recognize a Damaskeene because that word is written on the surface that the blade lays on inside the razor head (Use genuine Damaskeene blades, or some such). If you see a razor on ebay and it doesn't show the inside of the head, ask for a picture showing it or ask if anything is written inside. There is a closed comb and an open comb version. Buy the open comb if you can find one, they're scarcer than hens teeth, but you want the closed comb for yourself. The CC is the one I wrote about; supposedly the OC is more aggressive, yet another step. Not having one I can't verify that.

How do you recognize a razor of the 1912 patent? It will have a rear hinge and a thumb tab. They were made by GEM, and Star that I know of, maybe more.

An EverReady '14 is about on a par with the Damaskeene IMO, so that too would be a good next step. They might be hair more aggressive than the Damaskeene, but not wildly so.

Somewhere in mid aggressive are the EverReady lather catchers. But they are plated brass and are semi-adjustable so they can be anything from mild to quite aggressive depending on how the open comb teeth are bent. You don't want to make a practice of bending them; once and leave it alone is plenty. The factory setting is mid aggressive +. A lather catcher is a different animal yet again, but still a SE razor.

I've done reviews of all of these razors mentioned. If you search for them on this site you should find them.

32 6,309
 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Another little jewel is the valuable Schick E3 with his blade. Heart

0 1,096
 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
One more vote for a 1912

1 85
 09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Try the Treet razor. Shaves similar to the 1912, but a bit more efficient.

16 542
 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM
User Info
The whole family of Gem Micromatics are fine shavers. The Clogpruf would be a good step more aggressive from the G Bar, then the OCMM. The 1912 and 1914 Gem/ Eveready's are also superb shavers.

63 2,128
 09-26-2013, 05:06 AM
User Info
Having been through the whole gamut of SE shavers, I say that all of the above is great advice. The Demaskeene,to me, is the smoothest next step...a very comfortable shave, while being deceptively efficient.

3 73
 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(09-23-2013, 12:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Welcome to the sharp side!

How did you like the sound effects with the G Bar?

Yup, the Featherweight has the same head as the G Bar, but because of the construction I think it feels like a different razor (Duhhh! It is! Great statement SD! :-) ) . The Clic pushbutton also shares the same head. All 3 are quite mild. Milder still is the GEM Jr. Bar Lather Catcher. They look great, but IMO are too mild. Lots of folks like them though.

Of the 1912s the GEM Damaskeene is IMO the least aggressive and a good next step. The Jr or '24 (both 1912s) would be another step and the straight 1912 the most aggressive of the 1912s. You can recognize a Damaskeene because that word is written on the surface that the blade lays on inside the razor head (Use genuine Damaskeene blades, or some such). If you see a razor on ebay and it doesn't show the inside of the head, ask for a picture showing it or ask if anything is written inside. There is a closed comb and an open comb version. Buy the open comb if you can find one, they're scarcer than hens teeth, but you want the closed comb for yourself. The CC is the one I wrote about; supposedly the OC is more aggressive, yet another step. Not having one I can't verify that.

How do you recognize a razor of the 1912 patent? It will have a rear hinge and a thumb tab. They were made by GEM, and Star that I know of, maybe more.

An EverReady '14 is about on a par with the Damaskeene IMO, so that too would be a good next step. They might be hair more aggressive than the Damaskeene, but not wildly so.

Somewhere in mid aggressive are the EverReady lather catchers. But they are plated brass and are semi-adjustable so they can be anything from mild to quite aggressive depending on how the open comb teeth are bent. You don't want to make a practice of bending them; once and leave it alone is plenty. The factory setting is mid aggressive +. A lather catcher is a different animal yet again, but still a SE razor.

I've done reviews of all of these razors mentioned. If you search for them on this site you should find them.

What Shadows Dad wrote here is the truth. This Gentleman helped me along with my SE journey and I would heed his advice. (He's the YODA of SE's..lol).

I personally like the Featherweight. I had a G-bar which didn't work out for me and I PIF'ed it. The 1912's are all very good performers for me. I have a Damaskeene CC, GEM, Star and a Jr. w/a fat handle that SD PIF'ed to me. I also have all 3 of the Micromantics. The OC is VERY aggressive. The Bullet Tip (sometimes called the "Flying Wing") and the Clog Pruf are a little more aggressive than the 1912's. SD also PIF'ed me a J-Bar lather catcher. This 100 year old+ razor is my favorite due to the history. And it performs very well for me. All in all though I think my best shaves come from the 1912 family.

That being said all of these razors with maybe the exception of the Lather Catcher can be had for a pittance on e-bay. The Damaskeene's are a little more expensive. Shop around and look carefully at the photo's. If you are looking at the 1912 family, make sure the blade tabs are there. They are the little protrusions that are on each side of the comb. Their purpose is to hold the blade in place and a razor missing 1 is useless. Unfortunately there are a ton of sellers who know nothing about safety razors. I just last week saw a cased regular 1912 Gem listed as a Damaskeene. All that was Damaskeene was the blade bank in the box. I sent a message to the seller and it's still up there.... SHYSTER.

Good luck and welcome to the world of L.O.S.E.R.S.. HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
Jfowler, glad to hear you are getting along with your GEM. Since you are enjoying the results, you could decide to find one of similar efficiency ("aggressiveness") or something different. I would try the latter and go for a step up toward mid-efficiency...perhaps a GEM Junior or 1912 or, for the TTO "Micromatic" range, a GEM Clog-Pruf or Flying Wing "Bullet-Tip." This way you can safely determine if you want more efficiency or less.

Let us know what you find!

47 1,270
 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM
User Info
Not much for me to add to what's already been said by some great SE aficionados. I'll just say "Welcome to the Sharp Side!"

31 7,912
 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
I'd suggest a Flying Wing, aka Bullet Tip.

It's my favorite SE

1 283
 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM
  • jfowler
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Southeast Missouri
User Info
Thanks for the tips everyone. In the past few days I've picked up a push button gem, a clog-pruf, a bullet tip, and an ever-ready 1924. In addition to those, my mother-in-law gave me her father's old micromatic along with the injectors he switched to later on. I'll have to pick more up as I go along, but these should get me started!

0 6
 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
User Info
Streamline is and should be considered as a next in line razor.

0 606