09-23-2013, 05:18 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
A mild review, well more or less ramblings between the Polsilver Super Iridium and the Iridium Supers. A Few weeks back, I got some sample blades in from RedRocks and I have been meaning to say a few words on the razors but I've been so busy I haven't got around to it.

Polsilver Super Iridium: These were the first I used as they seemed easier to source out. I loaded up my first razor which is a Merkur 34c. With about a weeks worth of growth, it cut through the whiskers with ease with no irritation. For me isn't an easy feat. I have scleroderma on the right side of my face and makes it hard to shave without cutting/irritation.

One shave later: Lathered up, and proceeded to shave. Same razor head and blade, this left me with irritation, I don't have fast beard growth and with the more aggressive razor head, i experienced some irritation, but by no means was it a lot in comparison to an Astra SP.

Two Shaves Later: It's time for a change in razors, loaded the blade into the Maggard MR1, lathered and proceeded to shave. This razor is a bit less aggressive compared to the Merkur 34c. which resulted in a smooth excellent shave, still with some irritation.

Three Shaves Later: Switched up the razor again, putting the blade into my newly acquired rectangle Gillette tech. Lathered and proceeded to shave. This is where I start to see a really big change. After shaving with this combo, I had ZERO irritation. It was amazing. But it also left me wondering how the Astra SP would do in the Gillette tech.

Four Shaves Later: Switched up the blade, putting a new Astra SP into the Gillette tech. Lathered and proceeded to shave. Got a good bit of irritation with the Astra SP. Less irritation than using the Merkur 34c with the Astra, but still a good bit. And minimal cuts.

Iridium Super: I'm not going to write much here, as I really couldn't tell much of a difference I couldn't tell if one was sharper than the other or smoother, the only thing I can say is that, I felt these stayed sharper longer? I got more shaves out of them. Both we're as smooth as silk.

CONCLUSION: Just remember I'm not knocking the Astra SP's as they are a good razor, just for the way my skin is with my disorder I do get a bit of irritation out of them. I guess I would place the Iridium Super's slightly ahead of the Polsilvers just because I got more shaves out of it.

Thanks for reading, and thanks RedRocks, for sending me the blades!

Joshua

5 123
 09-23-2013, 05:29 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
Thanks for the write up. I'm using a Tech with Astra SP blades as well. It's my first DE experience and think I'll give the Polsilvers a shot since I do get some irritation with the Astra blades.

1 239
 09-23-2013, 06:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would agree with your conclusion on both of those blades. You might also want to try the Personna Med Prep Blades. I only use three different blades now, the Polsilver Iridium, Iridium Super, and the Personna Med Preps. The Personna is my main go to blade.

173 23,486
 09-23-2013, 06:32 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Yeah, I'm going to try those next along with Permasharps' in the cardboard box.

5 123
 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM
User Info
Yes, please let us know how the perma sharps compare to Polsilver and super iridium.

4 358
 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
* Joshua, I have the same opinion as you with regards to the Super Iridiums as they last longer than the Polsilver SI's, but I didn't find the latter to be as smooth for me, for some odd reason.

* Arash, the Perma Sharp Supers are an excellent blade and very smooth. Very comparable to the SI's and well worth the price as I consistently get 5 shaves with them, but I prefer the Super Iridiums, overall.

75 20,883
 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Polsilver SI are great!

31 425
 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Good review Joshua!

If I'm going to get any skin irritation, it will usually be from the first use of a new blade OR getting too heavy handed (usually the cause). In any case I will give my face a few days to heal up & try again making necessary adjustments - sometimes a click or two down on my Slim and/or a lighter hand will do it.

Glad I could share a few of the blades with you.

~Frank

18 271
 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
(09-23-2013, 09:13 AM)celestino Wrote: * Arash, the Perma Sharp Supers are an excellent blade and very smooth. Very comparable to the SI's and well worth the price as I consistently get 5 shaves with them, but I prefer the Super Iridiums, overall.

This has been my experience too.

183 12,002
 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM
User Info
I love Personna Lab (same blade as the Med Prep without the extra sterilization step,) and Polsiver SI. Another blade I like is Viking Sword. It's an Israeli made blade. Check those out, you will not regret them.

2 396
 09-24-2013, 12:17 AM
User Info
Thanks for the input, John and Celestino.

4 358
 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Arash, no worries and it was my pleasure. I really suggest you try the Perma Sharp Supers as they are an excellent blade for their price and you may just find them to be an ideal blade for you. Good luck.Smile

75 20,883