09-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have a light beard. I do not have sensitive skin. However a very agressive razor can do some serious damage to my face.
My favorite razor is my Cobra with a pro-guard blade. However, When the blade is brand new it shaves me wonderfully WTG. Unfortunately, for the first and second shaves with the blade if I try an XTG or ATG pass and if I don't use extreme caution I get scrapes and wheepers.
My second favorite razor is my Mercur futur. I use an agressive blade in the razor (Feather)but keep the razor dialed down to a 2 or 3 setting.
The Futur does a good job for all three passes. However, the razor does not perform well on my upper lip, corners of my mouth and near my Ramus.This problem arises due to the large head of the Futur.
The following shaving stratagy has evolved for me. It has been serving me well. If I use the Futur to shave I skip my upper lip.
After the 3 passes with the Futur I clean up my upper lip and other problem areas with the Cobra.
If I use the Cobra as my primary razor for the first 2 shaves with a new blade I only shave 1 pass WTG. The 2nd and third pass are done with the Futur.After the second shave I use the Cobra for the complete shave.
This stratagy has resulted in excellent close shaves with no cuts or scrapes.

57 916
 09-23-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
Well, as the old adage states: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Congratulations with your set-up!

75 20,883
 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
(09-23-2013, 07:28 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I have a light beard. I do not have sensitive skin. However a very agressive razor can do some serious damage to my face.
My favorite razor is my Cobra with a pro-guard blade. However, When the blade is brand new it shaves me wonderfully WTG. Unfortunately, for the first and second shaves with the blade if I try an XTG or ATG pass and if I don't use extreme caution I get scrapes and wheepers.
My second favorite razor is my Mercur futur. I use an agressive blade in the razor (Feather)but keep the razor dialed down to a 2 or 3 setting.
The Futur does a good job for all three passes. However, the razor does not perform well on my upper lip, corners of my mouth and near my Ramus.This problem arises due to the large head of the Futur.
The following shaving stratagy has evolved for me. It has been serving me well. If I use the Futur to shave I skip my upper lip.
After the 3 passes with the Futur I clean up my upper lip and other problem areas with the Cobra.
If I use the Cobra as my primary razor for the first 2 shaves with a new blade I only shave 1 pass WTG. The 2nd and third pass are done with the Futur.After the second shave I use the Cobra for the complete shave.
This stratagy has resulted in excellent close shaves with no cuts or scrapes.

You are using the same blades I use in the Feather RG/DX str8 razors, and yes, the first few shaves with these "very" sharp blades are more conducive to cuts/weepers. However, as weeks and months passed, this "problem" went away, and I stopped "suffering" these initial challenges. I basically developed an even lighter use (the old saying about "zero pressure" comes to mind) and I now actually absolutely love the sharpness of these feather/kai blades when new.

0 89