09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I currently own 14 badger brushes and one boar brush, an Omega B&B Essential boar. I'd like to add a horsehair brush to my collection for variety, but I know little about them. Amongst my badgers, the one that most suits me in terms of efficacy, size of knot and face feel is my Simpson's Colonel in best. As concerns my boar brush, the Omega B&B Essential is the only one I have ever used and I'm very impressed with it. I lather on my face exclusively and I use creams 95% of the time. I like the tips of the badger to feel soft, but the knot must have a bit of backbone and not be too dense; in terms of knot backbone and density I find my Simpson's Chubby1 in best to be on the edge of too much. What would be a good horsehair brush for me?

5 759
 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
Vie Long imho opinion are the best brushes for horsehair. I find them to have excellent backbone and flow-thru with just a bit of scritch.

35/65 brushes (mane vs tail hair ratio) give the best backbone, and I personally prefer the look of the natural horsehair (vs the white horse hair).

Full disclosure here though, as I am getting ready to list a few for sale.

47 1,112
 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
(09-24-2013, 08:45 AM)Rufus Wrote: I like the tips of the badger to feel soft, but the knot must have a bit of backbone and not be too dense;

Don't search into Horsehair to find what's missing from your Badgers
They are different kind
I have 2 Vie-Long 50/50 and 65/35 but non of them can reach any Badger
Buy one 65/35 for test and experience.

0 353
 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
User Info
I have three horsehair brushes and all are Vie-Long and I purchased all three from Bullgooseshaving. I have the Zurito and the ivory LE beehive brush. I believe both are 50 mane /50 tail. I have the butterscotch LE beehive that is 35 mane and 65 tail. I have owned the Zurito the longest and used it more than the other two. All three are excellent brushes that provide ample backbone to perform well with soaps and face lathering. The is some scritch with all three but I enjoy the feel of the brush as I build the lather on my face. I used the Zurito as my travel brush for about a year and always looked forward to my morning shave.

My recommendation is to give one a try. If you are looking for used post a WTB announcement or check out the supply at Bullgooseshaving. There's currently a discount for members of TSN.

29 1,731
 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM
User Info
As has been mentioned already, horsehair is different from badger and boar. I quite like them, actually.

Given that you like the Simpsons Colonel a lot, I'd suggest the Vie-Long 13061M as a nice horsehair brush to try. It has a really comfortable handle and the hair is excellent.

I don't like the dyed horsehair brushes (for example the regular Vie-Long 13061). They seem to lack something at the tips.

37 1,731
 10-04-2013, 09:59 PM
User Info
If it's not too late, I'd recommend the V-L 12750B Natural White Horse, 50/50 unbanded. If 55mm loft is too high, you can have it customized at no extra charge when ordering from Gifts&Care, specify your desired setting in the comments box @ checkout, sb10 gets you a 10% discount on the brush. Mine is set @52mm for face lathering creams, it handles all soaps just as well.

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/horse-sha...2750b.html

I also have the 13066B @~44-45mm, mainly a soap face lather brush, both have very good backbone and less prickliness out of the box than the 35/65 Mane/Tail knots. They break-in after ~10-14 lathers and are two I use often.

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/horse-sha...13066.html

1 115
 10-09-2013, 06:22 AM
User Info
I have a 13061 which I love, but the loft is a little too long for my liking. I've had it knot up on me a few times and i've had to take a comb it to.

I also seem to loose a hair or two every few shaves; I might just be rough with it, I don't know.

19 631