09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
I am new to posting here but really like the "spirit" and vibe of TSN so I am going to be posting more frequently.. I ran across an Artisan in my own city here in Longmont, Co and she makes phenomenal shaving scuttles. I am getting one later this week that she custom designed for me. She actually wants me to test a new design for her as well....so bonus, I get one of my own and one to use for travel for a while.

97 1,254
 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sounds wonderful ... please post pics when you can!

102 17,672
 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
will do....

97 1,254
 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-24-2013, 03:13 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I am new to posting here but really like the "spirit" and vibe of TSN so I am going to be posting more frequently.. I ran across an Artisan in my own city here in Longmont, Co and she makes phenomenal shaving scuttles. I am getting one later this week that she custom designed for me. She actually wants me to test a new design for her as well....so bonus, I get one of my own and one to use for travel for a while.

I look forward to the pictures and review. Cool

45 16,364
 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
(09-24-2013, 04:31 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 03:13 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I am new to posting here but really like the "spirit" and vibe of TSN so I am going to be posting more frequently.. I ran across an Artisan in my own city here in Longmont, Co and she makes phenomenal shaving scuttles. I am getting one later this week that she custom designed for me. She actually wants me to test a new design for her as well....so bonus, I get one of my own and one to use for travel for a while.

I look forward to the pictures and review. Cool

You know me Phil...always trying and reviewing something....may just have to get you in on getting an opinion of her work as well. Cool Cool

97 1,254
 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
A custom scuttle would be a blast to design and have!!! Can't wait for Pics & Info...does she have a website by the way?

4 792
 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
Pics please.

15 762
 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM
User Info
Coming soon on a website.....she is seriously considering becoming a vendor on TSN (if that is even an option...) or at least a Artisan/ Hobbyist.....guys, you are going to love this lady....her name is Juanita and she is a blast to talk to and pick her brain....extremely creative. She is actually working on hand formed shaving ceramics as well....they are so cool looking.

I should be receiving today or tomorrow.

97 1,254
 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
Here is mine:
[Image: qNIByAA.jpg]

[Image: nc2ZWYR.jpg]

A few more she just made:
[Image: 8RjCtnJ.jpg]

[Image: kgGTthK.jpg]

[Image: Xr06Oir.jpg]

A peek inside her studio when I picked mine up:
[Image: sJgUjEm.jpg]

97 1,254
 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful and I am sure very functional scuttles.What I really like about them is that the handles are very large which make them easier to grip and carry.

100 12,451
 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
User Info
........they look great...

.......are they two piece or one piece?

39 1,054
 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
(09-27-2013, 04:12 PM)leonidas Wrote: ........they look great...

.......are they two piece or one piece?

One piece, hand thrown

97 1,254
 09-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I find that it's fairly simple to make a great looking scuttle (if you are a skilled potter, that is, which I am not), but not nearly as easy to make it work well as far as heat retention. I own a GP G5 scuttle, which is gorgeous, but just does not retain enough heat. It's good enough and I am not a bowl latherer anyway, so I use it as a brush scuttle, but still, I had a much simpler, less good looking scuttle (traveling scuttle on one of the forums) which performed a lot better in terms of heat retention. I am all for the beautiful work potters do and I salivate looking at any hand thrown pottery in general and shaving stuff in particular, but scuttles really need to be engineered a bit more than they are currently. These are purpose built pieces and they should really perform in the intended way. I am not saying anything about theses beauties here, mind you since I have never tried one. I would buy each and every one of them because they are just so beautiful. But I find that scuttles being expensive to ship are a tough buy for me if they are not guaranteed to work properly. I am okay with my G5, but I would like it to be a bit more heat retaining. My tap water is not boiling and I am not going to bother boiling the water for it, so I want something that will work with my tap water. I had a scuttle which did that. It was a bit more pedestrian in style, but functionally was perfect. I really hope for the potter to work with a designer who understands thermodynamics and do a bunch of R&D on the piece and come up with a design that really works in retaining heat. Then have a potter figure out how to build such a piece. That, IMO would take the market by storm, especially if the price is affordable.

These are my thoughts on scuttle. Simple shaving bowls are a whole lot easier since they just need to have the right shape and size, but scuttles have this thermodynamic piece to them that makes them a bit trickier.

Gorgeous work, BTW, I am really drooling over these. However, without knowing that they will work properly I would not buy another one and will stick with my beautiful, but less than functional G5.

25 1,705
 10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
User Info
Hello Everyone...It appears that Jason has placed some pictures of my work here already .... he was great to work with!

I look forward to getting to spend more time on here and see what improvements we can make to our shaving ceramics.

Thanks,

Juanita (aka TheOddPotter)

0 1
 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM
User Info
.....Juanita, do you have a webpage displaying your creations?

39 1,054
 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM
User Info
(09-28-2013, 05:58 AM)vferdman Wrote: I find that it's fairly simple to make a great looking scuttle (if you are a skilled potter, that is, which I am not), but not nearly as easy to make it work well as far as heat retention. I own a GP G5 scuttle, which is gorgeous, but just does not retain enough heat. It's good enough and I am not a bowl latherer anyway, so I use it as a brush scuttle, but still, I had a much simpler, less good looking scuttle (traveling scuttle on one of the forums) which performed a lot better in terms of heat retention. I am all for the beautiful work potters do and I salivate looking at any hand thrown pottery in general and shaving stuff in particular, but scuttles really need to be engineered a bit more than they are currently. These are purpose built pieces and they should really perform in the intended way. I am not saying anything about theses beauties here, mind you since I have never tried one. I would buy each and every one of them because they are just so beautiful. But I find that scuttles being expensive to ship are a tough buy for me if they are not guaranteed to work properly. I am okay with my G5, but I would like it to be a bit more heat retaining. My tap water is not boiling and I am not going to bother boiling the water for it, so I want something that will work with my tap water. I had a scuttle which did that. It was a bit more pedestrian in style, but functionally was perfect. I really hope for the potter to work with a designer who understands thermodynamics and do a bunch of R&D on the piece and come up with a design that really works in retaining heat. Then have a potter figure out how to build such a piece. That, IMO would take the market by storm, especially if the price is affordable.

These are my thoughts on scuttle. Simple shaving bowls are a whole lot easier since they just need to have the right shape and size, but scuttles have this thermodynamic piece to them that makes them a bit trickier.

Gorgeous work, BTW, I am really drooling over these. However, without knowing that they will work properly I would not buy another one and will stick with my beautiful, but less than functional G5.

I work in clay & have not yet made scuttles b/c I need to devote a lot of time to proper design. It's nice to read from someone that knows that a good deal work and effort goes into making things of quality.

0 80
 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
(10-11-2013, 08:34 AM)leonidas Wrote: .....Juanita, do you have a webpage displaying your creations?

coming soon... Smile

97 1,254
 10-11-2013, 08:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I too have a scuttle from the Odd Potter and I am very happy with it. It is large enough that I can bowl lather and the heat retention is phenomenal. I love it!

45 16,364
 10-12-2013, 06:39 AM
User Info
(10-11-2013, 08:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I too have a scuttle from the Odd Potter and I am very happy with it. It is large enough that I can bowl lather and the heat retention is phenomenal. I love it!

I have noticed after a fee shaves that the bowl lathering + heat retention is tremendous. The heat retention is even better than my R. BECKER and it is pretty dang amazing.

97 1,254
 11-17-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
Juanita at the Odd Potter is ramping up for the Holiday season and is going to be running some aggressive intro promos on her scuttles very soon...as I get details I will let you guys know.

97 1,254