09-25-2013, 08:36 AM
User Info
I've been thinking about this for some time and have decided to take the plunge. On the 1st of january next year I intend to pick my favourite set up and stick to it religiously for the whole year. If any of you wish to join me I would be more than happy. At the time of writing my prefered set up is
feather asd1/ikon open comb baseplate and 1 shim, russian permasharp super blade, mitchells wool fat soap, muhle silvertip fibre 21mm brush. I can for go the aftershave / cologne in favour of nivea cream. I have also decided to use only cold water for the whole year. I urge as many of you as possible to join me.:

0 199
 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM
User Info
Sorry, I use a different setup each and every day. I like the variety too much; it's part of the reason I enjoy all this. If I just used one setup, there would be hardly any reason to come here and participate in the forum.

178 11,976
 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
Holy cow! You are determined! I applaud you and wish you well in your challenge! I could never possibly contemplate doing such a thing as I love the variety in my brushes and the scents of my main soap!
I can accompany you only in using my only DE razor, the Weber DLC, and my moisturizer, Unrefined Shea Butter, FOREVER if you would like. Biggrin

74 20,808
 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I wish you the best of luck. I however, will not be joining the journey with you. While I could use the same razor and blade (Cobra + Feather blade) I could never see myself using the same soap, brush, and AS for the whole year.

15 970
 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  • Pudu
User Info
I did that a year or two ago - not out of any kind of test of will, but because I was taken over by laziness and shaving ennui.

There is no joy in it.

0 33
 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
It's an idea I've had for a while, my grandad used the same set up for years as I recall, and minimalism appeals to me. All the items that I intend to use have given me consistently good shaves and it will certainly save me money. The feather asd1 and ikon oc baseplate combo is an absolute beauty, It's all I ever wanted in a razor.

0 199
 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM
User Info
A bold plan and I wish you well!

0 836
 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
User Info
Thank you 5 savages.

0 199
 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM
User Info
I've already settled into using the same hardware almost exclusively for the past eight months or so just because I've found some favorites, but I can't see the joy in sticking to the same software. I get bored with even my very favorite products.

8 115
 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
I may join you.

I currently just use my Fat Tech, Astra SP, Omega 49 Pro, and Cella. I recently acquired a couple SE razors: Micromatic bullet-tip and Featherweight. I do want to compare those against my Tech.

But my plan all along was to find a good razor/blade combo and stick with that, my pig on a stick, and the Cella.

1 239
 09-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Hi Stanthony,

I am heading in this direction and I'll gladly join you.

It's great to meet someone else who prefers one set-up. Minimalism appeals to the deepest part of my being and my set-up is generally the same as Nick's (wknicholas). That's because I love the colors and simplicity of the photos, uncluttered and monastic in tone. Each SOTD is uncluttered and easy to 'read' and see (and remember).

I also like the idea that I didn't choose my kit, but was given a kit (in my imagination)to use because in reality the shaving tradition wasn't passed down from my grandfather or father. So I like to pretend my kit was handed down to me.

This kit works very well, and gives me the shaves I always wanted. I also keep it to one or two passes. Comfort is my goal.

I have a slight rotation between four razors and three soaps. My preferred set-up (now) is:

Schick E2 Injector
Semogue 1305 brush
Arko soap
Dirty Bird Bill Bowl

1 749
 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
Fantastic gentlemen, I need one more puck of mwf and a few more permasharps then I'm all set. Both of your set ups appeal to me, Especially the 49 and the 1305. I chose the muhle silvertip fibre because it works so well on the mwf. My second brush choice was either a simpsons wee scot or an SOC boar, both fantastic brushes in their own right.

0 199
 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Interesting... I wanna see if it actually goes beyond 1 month, I wouldn't last a week Smile

88 4,233
 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
I'll do it, if only because I'm a very stubborn person.

0 199
 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Kudos to those wishing to attempt such restraint ... not my cup of tea though ... Smile

102 17,576
 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM
User Info
I wish you all well, keep us posted on how you all make out.

But I wouldn't be able to do it for even a month, much less than that in fact. I'd get bored and go nuts while having a cabinet full of brushes and soaps and such. If I only had one of each I could do it but I wonder if I'd begin shaving every 3 or 4th day again. I wouldn't want that. In retirement I represent myself so I actually want to be clean shaven now. Biggrin

32 6,304
 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
User Info
I'll post here every few days, and in the mean time If I change any of the soft/hardware I'll inform everyone.

0 199
 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
I could actually do it with the current razors/blades/brushes/soaps I have in my possession. After shave would be tough.

Before I committed though, I would have to pick up a Cobra, and then decide if it can replace my Weber, or wait to see if I will get a HuntLee and if it will replace my Weber.

I got to use the Cobra for a week, and have held off buying just due to seeing when the HuntLee will come out. That week was not enough to see if I could switch from the Weber daily though.

If I went with what I currently own it would not be too much of an issue to use:
Weber razor
Polsilver blade
Simpson 58 brush
MdC soap
Floid Blue AS

That said, I would get bored rather quickly with using the same brush, soap, and AS plus what would I do with all the other stuff I need to use Cool

31 1,800
 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
I've never used one but I like the idea of a Weber razor. By the way Bowhunter what is a HuntLee?

0 199
 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well I'll tell you, back when I started shaving, before most of you were born, I had to use one soap, one after shave, one razor, and one blade. That's all the local drugstore sold. There was no internet and I could not afford to go to the high end retailers back then.

Times have changed now. There are worldwide vendors selling hundreds of different items and as long as I can afford them I will try them if I choose. I do have my soaps narrowed down to six different soaps and one cream, give or take 30 boar brushes, 2 badger, and two mixed. Only 8 are in my regular rotation as a given time. And I use around 6 different after shaves and 3 balms.

I could probably use just one razor and one brand of blade, but since I only have 3 DE and 3 Injectors at this time, I won't.

No sir, as long as I can draw breath I will not go back to just using one of anything.

173 23,297