09-26-2013, 06:27 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, it seem that gradually, English soaps are making a welcome return to their former glory. I have recently reported the new formulation that Penhaligon's has released for their shaving soaps, well now it's Floris' turn to make a stand.
On Tuesday, I took delivery of their Elite soap in the wooden bowl, which I used yesterday for the first time. Guess what....it's another amazing, performing soap. Can't be sure but I reckon the manufacturer is the same as for Penhaligon's, such is the similarity in performance.
There may be just hope that in the near future, Geo.F. Trumper soaps will follow in the footsteps of these other two English companies. Fingers crossed.

31 4,957
 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM
User Info
Watching for your posts is getting exciting Sir!

97 1,252
 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Interesting news, David ... and thanks for keeping everyone updated.

This has likely been covered elsewhere, but why were all these English soaps reformulated to begin with ... was it related to governmental or regulatory concerns regarding certain ingredients?

102 17,662
 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM
User Info
Quick question ... I have a friend in London this weekend ... would you have them pick up a Pens BB Bowl and a Pens Sartorial Bowl OR would you, based on acent have them pick up a Floris in substitution of one of the Pens? I like lavender/ clean, fresh scents ... not a huge fan of synthetic, cologne type scents....some soaps I love are C&S O&C, DR Harris Arlington, MdC, Irisch Moos, AoS Lemon..... thanks again for being the bearer of such good news! By the way... do the ingredients lists on your new Floris and new Pens match up pretty well?

97 1,252
 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM
User Info
(09-26-2013, 06:34 AM)Agravic Wrote: Interesting news, David ... and thanks for keeping everyone updated.

This has likely been covered elsewhere, but why were all these English soaps reformulated to begin with ... was it related to governmental or regulatory concerns regarding certain ingredients?

No. Nothing to do with that. That is just a myth propagated in US shaving forums.

The reason is much simpler: just a change in the supplier.
Most English soaps are made by third-party entities. Until recently, it seems to have been a company called "Standard Soap Company". But that company closed the doors a while ago, around 2011 or 2012.

That company was bought by Soapworks, Ldt. Nowadays, the majority of english shaving soaps (including T&H, C&E, GFT, Penhaligons, Woods of Windsor and other problematic soaps) seem to be made by them.

2 5,527
 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM
User Info
While I have not had an opportunity to use the newly reformulated Penhaligon's shaving soaps, this summer I purchased Floris No. 89, JF, and Elite shaving soaps, and they are all excellent.

0 3,341
 09-26-2013, 06:48 AM
User Info
I too never had any issues with their previous soaps. I found them to lather well and the lather was slick and stable.

8 279
 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(09-26-2013, 06:46 AM)oversaturn Wrote:
(09-26-2013, 06:34 AM)Agravic Wrote: Interesting news, David ... and thanks for keeping everyone updated.

No. Nothing to do with that. That is just a myth propagated in US shaving forums.

The reason is much simpler: just a change in the supplier.
Most English soaps are made by third-party entities. Until recently, it seems to have been a company called "Standard Soap Company". But that company closed the doors a while ago, around 2011 or 2012.

That company was bought by Soapworks, Ldt. Nowadays, the majority of english shaving soaps (including T&H, C&E, GFT, Penhaligons, Woods of Windsor and other problematic soaps) seem to be made by them.

Thank you for clarifying this misconception I had, Emanuel! Smile Shaving forums can sometimes perpetuate and amplify certain myths ... Confused

102 17,662
 09-26-2013, 07:15 AM
User Info
(09-26-2013, 06:36 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: Quick question ... I have a friend in London this weekend ... would you have them pick up a Pens BB Bowl and a Pens Sartorial Bowl OR would you, based on acent have them pick up a Floris in substitution of one of the Pens? I like lavender/ clean, fresh scents ... not a huge fan of synthetic, cologne type scents....some soaps I love are C&S O&C, DR Harris Arlington, MdC, Irisch Moos, AoS Lemon..... thanks again for being the bearer of such good news! By the way... do the ingredients lists on your new Floris and new Pens match up pretty well?

Here is the ingredients list for the Floris Elite soap plus the BB underneath for comparison. There are differences.

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsfba549e1.jpg]
[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzA0MjcuanBn_zps3dc3da74.jpg]

With regard to the scents, your likings are very similar to mine. That said, the Pen's and Floris scents are pretty complex with citrus top notes and woody base notes, so nothing really comparable. I just like the scents for their variations. Of the soaps I have tried(Floris No.89 and JF too, 18 months ago), my favourite would be the Floris JF. Unfortunately I had a skin reaction to that scent so had to stop its use.

31 4,957
 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
That's great news, I've always wanted to try the famous british soaps... and now it seems I might be able to! Smile

25 4,632
 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM
User Info
(09-26-2013, 07:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(09-26-2013, 06:36 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: Quick question ... I have a friend in London this weekend ... would you have them pick up a Pens BB Bowl and a Pens Sartorial Bowl OR would you, based on acent have them pick up a Floris in substitution of one of the Pens? I like lavender/ clean, fresh scents ... not a huge fan of synthetic, cologne type scents....some soaps I love are C&S O&C, DR Harris Arlington, MdC, Irisch Moos, AoS Lemon..... thanks again for being the bearer of such good news! By the way... do the ingredients lists on your new Floris and new Pens match up pretty well?

Here is the ingredients list for the Floris Elite soap plus the BB underneath for comparison. There are differences.

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsfba549e1.jpg]
[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzA0MjcuanBn_zps3dc3da74.jpg]

With regard to the scents, your likings are very similar to mine. That said, the Pen's and Floris scents are pretty complex with citrus top notes and woody base notes, so nothing really comparable. I just like the scents for their variations. Of the soaps I have tried(Floris No.89 and JF too, 18 months ago), my favourite would be the Floris JF. Unfortunately I had a skin reaction to that scent so had to stop its use.

David ... thank you very much sir! Extremely helpful!

97 1,252
 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
User Info
I would break Sabbatical in a heartbeat for Geo F Trumper violet or rose soaps that lathers like D.R. Harris

8 240
 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
Edit.

8 1,516
 09-26-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
(09-26-2013, 07:49 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: David ... thank you very much sir! Extremely helpful!

No problem, glad to help. I've been giving your question some further thought and my answer would be to buy one of each. I'd go for the Floris JF and for the Pen's, the Sartorial would be the best bet.

Here are the links to check the fragrance notes:

Floris JF

Pen's Sartorial fragrance notes

Enjoy.

31 4,957
 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
Although I am glad I have several vintage tallow soaps stored, this is interesting and quite encouraging. Thanks, David.

183 12,002
 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
Te scent of this Sartorial sounds fantastic. think i will get this over BB.

Glad to hear its performance is better than good

1 171
 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
So the new Floris are Palm Oil based , while the Penhaligon's contains Stearic Acid (Soduim and Potassium Sterate).Interesting.I have an old version of the Floris Elite which is 100% Palm Oil based too which performs very good , but I preferred the Floris Elite which formulation was more like the new Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.
Fingers crossed that Geo F Trumper comes back with the brilliant veggie soaps that they used to sell back in 2008/2009 , which performance (sorry tallow lovers ) was as good as the old tallow based soaps.
Thanks for the info , David.

86 7,123
 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM
User Info
This is getting dangerous. Thanks for letting me know David!

7 1,179
 09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great news, thanks for sharing David!

91 17,798
 09-26-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
Alright... I am on the bandwagon ... my friend is picking up a Sartorial and a JF soap/bowl combo.

Im pretty excited!

97 1,252