09-26-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
Hello all, I just received an absolutely beautiful rose gold muhle r41 from my girlfriend for my birthday. This is my first non cartridge razor and I could use some tips on technique and maintenance.
The razor came with a single derby blade. I have seen many threads on different blades and I'm not sure what the differences are between all the brands.
Also what is the proper procedure on cleaning and storage after use? Do I just rinse it under water and call it a day, or am I supposed to remove the blade and clean it thoroughly and leave the blade out when not in use?

0 3
 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Welcome to tsn!!

The Muhle R41 is the most aggressive de on the market!!

I suggest buying a blade sampler to find a blade that works best for you (and possibly a less aggressive razor to start with)

Razor maintenance is up to you i take the blade out everytime

115 1,690
 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Welcome !

No rush and no pressure!

31 424
 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
I would encourage you to start with another razor, save the R41 for when you are more experienced, no room for mistakes with that one.

Edwin Jagger DE89 is a good choice for new, and if budget is tight Schick Kronas can be had on ebay for under $15 the last time I checked (very forgiving, intuitive razor).

47 1,085
 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN. Your girlfriend loves you much!

2 360
 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
Thanks for the concern for my safety Smile I used the razor one time so far. I have been lurking on here for a bit and am familiar with the reputation of the r41. I assure you all that I took the first stroke with caution. Using this razor was a very different experience than with my Mach 3. I could feel the Muhle close against my face cutting each hair. It makes my old one feel as if it actually floats and glides over my face.
I guess it is helpful to note also I am younger than most on this forum I would assume having just turned 31. I have very robust skin and I'm not to sensitive to things. I'm not sure if it affects anything but I would say that my beard isn't very thick and my 5 o'clock shadow is about a full day late to develop. I'm a mechanic by trade so a clean shaven face isn't required on a daily basis. Plus my girlfriend like me scruffy.
So I wanted a nice razor to enjoy a luxurious shaving experience probably no more than once a week. I am very happy with my gift and I think this could be the last razor I ever need. I just want to learn how to use it to its full potential.

0 3
 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
Congrats on the move from the Mach 3!
With regards to the R41—since you've lurked and are familiar with the precautions necessary when using an R41, I won't try and repeat all the cautionary tales you've heard. Personally, I would not recommend the R41 to a new wet-shaver—even the CEO of Mühle stated as much in an interview—but there's no reason ANY wet-shaver cannot have a great shave so long as good technique and preparation are used.

Shaving is a very personal and subjective experience, so whatever process or items may work well for one, may not be ideal for another. I have found that I have greater shaving success and comfort with the R41 if I use the sharper-than-the norm brand of blades (i.e. feathers, Personna meds, for example). Others do just fine with Astras, Dorcos or similar 'milder' blades. Try varying brands and you will notice the difference.
IMO, the R41 is an ideal razor for the guy who shaves every 2-3 days. Some use it as the everyday go-to razor, but many find it too harsh for daily use. I use my 2011 R41 every few days, weaving it in with other razors. Good pre-shave prep (use of a pre-shave oil and a high-quality soap or cream) will help ensure a great shave with what I consider, an excellent razor. A light touch is always recommended.

2 16
 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Smile

Definitely get a sample assortment pack of blades from one of the on-line retailers such as BullGoose Shaving http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/blsapa.html, Lee's Safety Razors http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Begin...-Pack.html, and others.

I tend to clean my razor after each use but many just rinse theirs after each use and give a good cleaning to the razor only periodically. See what works best for you.

Again, welcome to The Shave Nook.

2 11,211
 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
Welcome to the forum and you sure are starting with the most challenging DE there is, in my opinion. Good luck with it.

74 20,796
 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM
User Info
That sounds like an amazing gift!
Get some Gillette 7 O'Clock Black blades, some Proraso Green shave cream, and a nice Badger brush. You can get a nice lathering bowl at any pet store. I picked up a cat's bowl at PetSmart for around $2-$3. Good luck and many happy shaves!

P.S. If you find that razor to be too aggressive, don't give up and don't sell it. Go on ebay and pick up a less aggressive razor like a vintage Gillette SuperSpeed. They are relatively inexpensive and will help you with learning angles, and other things for shaving. Time will come when you will want something that is a little more aggressive. You will have your gifted razor there just waiting to make your face smile.

0 76
 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
map your face.

4 309
 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
Welcome to the Nook. Bucking the conventional wisdom, I've come to believe that the new wet-shaver might be better served by a razor with a bit more blade feel and wider cutting angle than the usual recommendations when developing "the touch". It wasn't until after I got my R41 and OCMM that my technique really came together. Tuckaways, OldTypes, I type and earlier injectors, and 37C type slants are somewhat milder options which offer good blade feel and a wide cutting angle. These razors give instant feedback and let me adjust by feel my angle and pressure. With respect to blades, I really like US made Personnas in my R41.

4 173
 09-28-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
Welcome, Moffett, and congratulations on the great gift. The R41 is one of the few DE razors I have held onto. I do disassemble my razors after use, pat dry the blade, towel dry the razor and reassemble. No rust or stains to deal with ever, as a result.

Some thoughts on technique:

1) Start with a 1 pass shave (lather up once and pass the razor north to south over each part of your face once)
2) Very light, basically no pressure. If you see a deflection in your skin, that's too much pressure.
3) I do think a sharper blade would be welcome and agree with the blade sampler suggestions. I personally use Personna Labs or Med Preps.
4) Learn how to make quality lather. Too runny/too many bubbles --> you need more soap. Too thick and hard to spread on your face --> you need to add a few drops of water. You will find the sweet spot.
5) Post-shave skin care...this is serious, trust me. Best aftershave I've found is Krampert's and best balm is unrefined shea butter (very inexpensive and incredible results). Search around here for more about these two.
6) Have fun; glad you joined.

47 1,270
 09-28-2013, 09:39 PM
User Info
I cringed when I read the razor you were given. It's gorgeous and one of my favorites, and having voiced my concern, if it's working for you, well, it's working. It definitely wouldn't be one I would suggest for a noob.

You definitely need a blade sampler, or just read a bunch and just purchase some of the acknowledged sharpest/smoothest blades. That razor demands those blades IMO. It's counterintuitive... one might think that the R41 can be tamed with a less than stellarly sharp blade, but not IMO. Less than the best can cause it to grab, and that isn't what you want.

OK I'll suggest a few blades. Polsilver Iridium, any Gillette 7 O'Clock blade made in St.Petersburg Russia, and Personna Med Preps (for hospital use) or Personna lab blades. There are others that would work fine, but those are the ones I remember and that work for me with both the '11 and '13 R41.

Other than that, that razor demands perfect technique in everything. No pressure, no hurry, great lather for cushion and lubrication. Use perfect technique and the R41 is one of the best DE razors IMO. Let attention waver or use anything less than the best technique and it will bite.

32 6,301
 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM
User Info
Just a FYI, the r89 is the same has as the ej89 that people suggest and will be a nice match to your r41 - if you're looking for something that shaves nice but is less scary/aggressive.

10 799
 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the great information. I'm currently using a shaving kit from the art of shaving. It seems to be working nicely.
I shaved for the second time with the R41yesterday and I truly enjoy the experience of using this razor. I'm excited to order one of the blade kits to try out the various configurations and find the best one for myself.
On a second note has anyone had much experience with the Muhle brushes? I would love to get the rose gold one to match my razor.

0 3
 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
User Info
Great that the R41 is working for you!

I've used 2 of their silvertip fibers synthetic brush. The latest fiber type. It's an impressive synthetic.

In fact I'll be using it again tomorrow since it's next up.

32 6,301
 10-02-2013, 01:21 AM
User Info
I - the single voice of reason here Biggrin - am convinced that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the R41 as a first razor.

Sure, it provides a direct and close shave which some of the unenlightened might call 'aggressive'. On the other hand, it is in a way the easiest to get good results withaout having to strain your face with a gazzillion passes!

And on a side note, if one were as lucky as you with that great gift from your gf, it is also an advantage to learn proper technique instead of having to un-learn techniques that fit a so called milder razor. So, proper angle an proper pressure are required.

But start with the beginning: no razor can shine without adequate prep. A wet beard, a good lather and take some time to let that water and the later do its work.

I also second the suggestion of mapping your beard growth. Once you know what is with the grain and what is against the grain, you have a shave that takes less passes and is highly more effective. You could shave downwards first annd upwards after, but to me it makes more sense to have a first roughly downward pass, followed by some careful against the grain shaving (which could easily be horizontal, on the neck for instance) and maybe a couple of touch ups.

Lather is another key to that satisfying shave. Get a soap that does not irritate you. Do not forget to rinse and relather between passes.

I clean my razors with soap, and just leave them open so the blade gets a chance to dry.

But the best way to a good shave is: practice, and enjoy it!

0 637