09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
Long story short, I purchased a bowl of GFT coconut shave soap off of amazon for a decent deal this week...received it today and lathered it twice ... really thick, stable lather....but not the tallow formula but by no means abysmal like I was fearing.... definitely not a reformulation BUT is there a chance I got the good, veg formula that Teiste refers to?

Anyone have pics of the GOOD all veg formula ingredients and that BAD all veg formula ingredients list ... cause the lather I got today rivaled Tabac lather for me.

97 1,252
 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-27-2013, 03:10 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Long story short, I purchased a bowl of GFT coconut shave soap off of amazon for a decent deal this week...received it today and lathered it twice ... really thick, stable lather....but not the tallow formula but by no means abysmal like I was fearing.... definitely not a reformulation BUT is there a chance I got the good, veg formula that Teiste refers to?

Anyone have pics of the GOOD all veg formula ingredients and that BAD all veg formula ingredients list ... cause the lather I got today rivaled Tabac lather for me.

My friend , you got the good veggie formula one.And let me tell you that I have tried the Old tallow formula and the good veggie formula of that soap , and I didnt find any difference but the scent.Yes , the good veggie formula was that good.Hope it can come back soon.

86 7,124
 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
Excellent. Take a look on the packaging and there should be a 6 digit number with a 5 digit number below. The last 2 digits of the one below is the year of manufacture. Curious to know as the sandalwood and coconut soaps were unavailable for many months just like the Penhaligon's BB.

31 4,957
 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
(09-27-2013, 03:23 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 03:10 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Long story short, I purchased a bowl of GFT coconut shave soap off of amazon for a decent deal this week...received it today and lathered it twice ... really thick, stable lather....but not the tallow formula but by no means abysmal like I was fearing.... definitely not a reformulation BUT is there a chance I got the good, veg formula that Teiste refers to?

My friend , you got the good veggie formula one.And let me tell you that I have tried the Old tallow formula and the good veggie formula of that soap , and I didnt find any difference but the scent.Yes , the good veggie formula was that good.Hope it can come back soon.

Teiste...by chance do you Have the ingredients list or a pic of the good veg formula please?

97 1,252
 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-27-2013, 03:34 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 03:23 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Teiste...by chance do you Have the ingredients list or a pic of the good veg formula please?

No my friend , sorry.

86 7,124
 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
I have the packaging for my 2008 good puck. Just off to bed but I'll post a pic in the morning.

31 4,957
 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I found this pic with the good veggie formula of the coconut (top) and violet shaving soaps.Hope it helps.Seems the Coconut is from a 2007 batch :

[Image: GFTss.jpg]

86 7,124
 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
User Info
I think I have the bad one because mine has cocoate in it .... BUT it lathered just fine??? Am I missing something ... does the bad one lather ok but just stink when shaving performance wise?

97 1,252
 09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-27-2013, 04:53 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I think I have the bad one because mine has cocoate in it .... BUT it lathered just fine??? Am I missing something ... does the bad one lather ok but just stink when shaving performance wise?

The one with Sodium Cocoate is one of the new ones , but I have a Eucris which has the new formulation , and when I learned how to lather it (a little bit different than the old , good , veggie ones) , boy , makes a great lather indeed , maybe a little bit less thicker than the old tallow or good veggie ones , but excellent enough to enjoy a good shave.I actually used it for my shave yesterday and it was a good one.

Can you please post a pic of the lather you make with this new soap ?

The bad ones are impossible to lather , my friend , so no , it seems that the new G.F. Trumper coconut shaving soap have been reformulated for good.

86 7,124
 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I recently went through this question with GFT Rose soap...I would go by the date on the sticker, rather than the ingredients, because the ingredients list can vary slightly depending on scent choice...My only question is - why does the violet soap on the bottom pic have a different sticker code when compared with the coconut soap shown above it? I have yet to ever see a GFT soap that doesn't follow the six digits on top, and five below, with the last two digits of the bottom number representing the year of manufacture. Does anyone know how to translate the violet GFT soap code pictured above in this thread?(six digits with twelve digits below?

4 792
 09-27-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
Wow, you lads sure go through some challenging times with some of your soaps! I hope you can resolve the issue and find the one you want. Good luck.

75 20,883
 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
Here you go ... 20 second load on brush with damp puck ... looks like made 33112

[Image: I46LAlx.jpg]

97 1,252
 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thats the lather I make with the Eucris soap , so its not dull at all.Good news indeed !

86 7,124
 09-28-2013, 01:28 AM
User Info
Teiste, I have never seen the codes written in the format on the violet soap, only ever as the 6 and 5 digit numbers. In the UK, we write the date as day/month/year so looking at the violet, I would predict the date of manufacture is 28th May 2008 but can't be sure.

Here is the ingredients list for my 2008 Rose soap as promised.
[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzA0NThfMS5qcGc_zpsd5312da5.jpg]

31 4,957