04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
OK, we've all had the experience of watching a movie we've never heard about and after watching it thought it was pretty decent.

My most recent of those movies is Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I'm not much of a comedy person, but it's also horror and that got me to put it in my Netflix queue. I was expecting to see the typical city folks meet meat eating hillbillies or some such, but...

Well, the twist was IMO hysterically funny. I won't write more or I'll give it away.

What's your most recent movie that you never heard of previous to viewing but it about knocked your socks off?

32 6,309
 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
This is going to be a challenge to me, since I am on movie sites almost as much as I'm on this one. I am a bit of a movie buff, and see just about as many as I can. Let me think on it a bit, and I should be able to come up with one.

1 223
 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
"Tyrannosaur"
Brilliant, utterly depressing and beautiful!
British drama.

75 20,883
 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I occasionally get on genre kicks or swaths of foreign movies. That can be a great way to find unexpectedly good movies, just because the creators are from a culture where they think differently about things.

Natural City, an excellent Korean sci-fi/cyberpunk action drama. Good premise, good story, great fight scenes (gun and hand to hand).

The Night Watch was an interesting take on an old trope, that Good and Evil are like competing teams with rules of engagement. Russian.

Of American films, I was surprised that Daybreakers was as good as it was.

I knew The Kite Runner would be good and intense. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, or as faithful to the book.

10 1,858
 04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
User Info
My most recent was tonights Netflix streaming, "AntiTrust". While the premise was the anti Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead, whose premise I agree with, the movie was still quite good as movies who "no one ever heard of" go.

Edit:

Songwind, in looking in Netflix for Night Watch there is a sequel out called Day Watch. I thought you might like to know.

32 6,309
 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
User Info
Brick
Numb
etc.

4 309
 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
User Info
Nearly all of the movies I have seen were ones I knew about, or at least heard the title mentioned. The last time I saw a very good movie unknown to me was The Hill with Sean Connery, and that was many years ago.

0 303
 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
"Win Win" was on Cinemax on Demand and I downloaded it to kill some time and because I like Paul Giamatti. I put it on just to have some noise in the back ground, but ended up dropping everything I was doing to watch. Great mix of comedy and drama. I have a feeling it's one of those love it or hate it movies. I thought it was great.

1 73
 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
At leisureguy's suggestion, tonight I watched Dororo. He's right. That's a well made, strange horror/fantasy action movie, there.

10 1,858
 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM
User Info
poultrygeist... by troma

1 48
 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
Sadly Hollyweird has done nothing new or interesting, so I would have to go back a few months and say "The Rum Diaries". I'm a huge fan of Hunter Thompson. Johnny Depp does a great job with this as he did with Fear and Loathing.

Before that was the remake of True Grit.

9 451
 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(04-23-2012, 11:39 AM)global_dev Wrote: poultrygeist... by troma

Troma films are among some of my all time favorites! A buddy of mine says that there's to be a new Toxic Avenger some time.Smile

1 73
 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
The poultrygeist trailer on netflix is pretty humuorous, OK, it's in the DVD queue. Great, fellow B movie enjoyers!

My wife thinks I'm nuts for watching (and enjoying) B movies. What does she know? She uses Dorco blades and bath soap for shaving! As if that isn't B shaving!

32 6,309